Any advice for a kinkajou that loves to bite

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Loki_the_kinkajou

Any advice for a kinkajou that loves to bite

Postby Loki_the_kinkajou » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am

Our kinkajou Loki is the most amazing guy ever! He's so much fun! Like a cross between a dog and a ferret and sometimes a toddler! We have 6 kids, a dog, 2 cats, 2 bearded dragons and a bunch of koi. Loki is definitely the clown of the house! We are all excited every day to come home and see him!

But...do any owners have ANY ADVICE on calming down the biting? He is not being aggressive in the slightest bit! It's how he wants to play. But it's constant! And even playing, It can hurt! And he doesn't even have his adult teeth in.

Things I've tried:
- Giving him small beanie babies to wrestle with him when he feels like biting
-Yelling "no" And "ouch"!
-Scrapping the back of his neck like a mother would
-Two types of bitter spray used on my hands..That is marketed for dogs that like to chew
-Rawhide soaked in apple juice that when he starts to bite I put in his mouth
-banana nut flavored chews
-a squirt bottle with water that I mist on him when he bites

he's so sweet and friendly, but one bite on a neighbor kid, even with play, and that's a bad thing. He's actually getting neutered today. I'm hoping that helps, but since it's not an "aggression thing" but a "play thing" I don't have very high hopes.

Forgot to mention, he's @5 months old. Anyone have any suggestions? Will it mellow out some as it gets a little older?

We adore him, and even if we had to wear gloves every time we held him he's part of our family forever. But any advice would be most appreciated!!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any advice for a kinkajou that loves to bite

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:00 pm

I don't know about kinks, so hopefully someone else will chime in, but with foxes they are very bitey until they're about a year old and then they mellow out. I don't know if it's the same for kinkajous, but the bitey factor tends to diminish significantly as other exotics (like foxes) age.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Loki_the_kinkajou

Postby Loki_the_kinkajou » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 pm

They can be pretty mouthy and hyper for the first 2 years. Neutering may help some as the lessened hormones make them a bit less active but that can vary by animal. I'd not expect it to do much once he's healed.

The big thing I don't see on your list is rewarding him when he does play gently. Let him know how good he is, give him a treat, reward him with something special when he is playing nice. Also if he plays too rough with you give him something he can play rough with and if he plays with that instead of coming right back at you reward him for that. Or if he does come back but plays nice instead then reward him for that.

To often we only focus on what we don't want. You need to let him know what you do want. What you do want is for him to play nice or to save his rough play for a proper toy, so reward him for that.
Loki_the_kinkajou

Postby Loki_the_kinkajou » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry I didn't specifically mention but when he does play nice he is spoiled rotten with "good boys". When he gets fired up it's good boy/no biting good boy/no biting. It's almost like he can't even control himself! Sometimes he will go to bite and stop midway..like he knows he's not allowed but 2 seconds later gives a bite! I really like your idea of praise when he is playing rough with a toy. Because when I substitute my fingers for a toy he will wrestle with it for a few seconds but then he has to come right back to human flesh. Then I probably confuse him more with trying c chew toy or a water squirt or a scold. Tonight I will try boot camp with just the stuffed toy. And keep repeating that instead of jumping all around. Does that make sense? I'm probably trying 5 things continuously rather than picking the one that kind of works and reinforcing it over and over. I've often wondered if the only option is to get a second one so he has someone to play with. It's like there is nothing in the world more enjoyable to him then chewing on a finger! But first I suppose I'll try just being consistent.

Well thank you again! We will see how it goes tonight!
Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:04 am

I've never known any kinks but that sure sounds like coon behavior! With them, it goes away
after about 2 years. Good luck, be patient! ♡
Loki_the_kinkajou

Postby Loki_the_kinkajou » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 am

They are in the raccoon family! So thanks!!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:43 pm

But does "good" mean anything to him? Like does it come with a threat or a fun shiny bauble to play with? Why should it matter to him if you call him good? If you're going to use good as your bridge it has to mean something. You say good as his reward but how is that a reward? Dogs sometimes work and behave just for praise but that's not a non-dog animal thing to do. I once taught a dog to fetch that did not like chasing things. She'd do it once or twice then give me dirty looks, like "you threw it you go get it yourself". Making the "job" worthwhile to her through treats would have helped. His behaving and your goods have to be worthwhile. You may want to start over with a new word you wont use all the time and really means "you're good you get a reward for that" You use it like you do clicker training and then this new word meaning he's good with mean something to him.

Another thing to use here would be a positive interrupter instead of a negative. It's similar to the above but used differently. You can use them both. So instead of no(which is a threat basically you stop that it's bad I might punish you), you use a word or noise of your choice. You give him treats making that noise then give him treats for looking at you when he make the noise then work on him giving his attention longer before treats after you make the noise. Now when he is biting to hard you can make that noise and he'll stop and give you his attention. It gets you what you want without threats, his stopping what he was doing.

But yeah it's pretty normal to deal with in their first couple years. You just have to keep consistently working with them.
Loki_the_kinkajou

Postby Loki_the_kinkajou » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Awesome advice!
Juska

Postby Juska » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Something I've done with bitey dogs and cats is when they put their mouth on your hand, you gently just push your hand back against their teeth/mouth instead of trying to remove it. They'll no longer be in control of the biting action and usually will spit your hand out. Namira is being bitey at the moment, and she's spayed and over 3 years old, so I wouldn't trust that the biting will just go away with an animal. I'm sure a kinkajou's hormones and behavior are much different from a cat, but the method I use has worked on a few species, so maybe it'd work for you. It's not punishing or hurting them, it's just making every time they try to bite mildly unpleasant...haha.

To add to TG's "good" sounds/actions, I click my tongue at Namira when she's being good. She knows that's the "nice" sound.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Loki_the_kinkajou

Postby Loki_the_kinkajou » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Just ordered these for treats:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005WYD8 ... oney+stick

They would be easy to keep handy only only give a few licks
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 am

My kids turn into Tasmanian devils over these! Do recommend. :D

Return to “INTRODUCTION”