Triops

Fresh, Salt, & Pond fish. Aquatic inverts, jelly fish, shrimp, octopus, etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Triops

Postby caninesrock » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 am

Anybody ever heard of Triops? Anyone ever owned any? Apparently they sell their dried eggs in kit that you can buy at Wal-mart. I almost bought one, but when my mom found out they turned into live animals, she said I couldn't get the kit since she didn't want them in her apartment. They're really neat though. They're a prehistoric aquatic animal. Another name for them is tadpole shrimp, but I don't think they're related to real shrimp, but I'm not sure. They're supposedly the closest living relative to trilobites and I always found trilobites really interesting.

Some kits:
https://www.amazon.com/Smithsonian-5204 ... B00200JX2O

https://www.amazon.com/Triops-Small-Pac ... 64J5ZQKT1D

And some videos of Triops:
Wild Triops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Vq4cKOHHk

Pet Triops swimming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzU6hoiNfnM

Pet Triops eating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDg_Px9f4NI

Some pet Triop info, tank set-up, etc.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TmD-NZ9IY

More pet Triops in a tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35vAiadk980
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
H20 Sl

Re: Triops

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Man, those bring back memories. They were so weird, but they were really cool! They never survived because I was quite young and didn't understand that they were alive xD, so I didn't feed them. Would love to get them again and actually take care of them this time.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Interesting it says they can be kept with fish in their tank. Might consider them someday they would be cool. I saw a special about them in desert pools before. Neat things.
http://mytriops.com/articles/triops_intro.stm

They are what used to be sold as sea monkeys, yeah lots of people killed those they didn't really tell you what they were or how to care for them well. Looks like the new kits are a bit better about that.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:17 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:They are what used to be sold as sea monkeys, yeah lots of people killed those they didn't really tell you what they were or how to care for them well. Looks like the new kits are a bit better about that.

Sea Monkeys are brine shrimp. I wasn't allowed to have Sea Mionkeys, my mother said they probably wouldn't grow.
I never knew there were triops kits.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:They are what used to be sold as sea monkeys, yeah lots of people killed those they didn't really tell you what they were or how to care for them well. Looks like the new kits are a bit better about that.

That's true, it wasn't very helpful growing up..my mom didn't know what to do either, they were just decor for the bathroom in the end..

All this talk makes me want some now xD. I'll read up on them a bit more and try to raise them correctly this time if i decide to get some. there weird little things, but really fun as I remember. Wonder how long there supposed to live..
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:11 am

@H20 Sl
If you do get some, I'd be very interested to see pics and updates.

As for how long they live, unfortunately, not very long.

Q: How long do Triops live for?

A: If you keep them in good health then they can live as long as 14 weeks. Though 8 weeks is typical. (Triops cancriformis lives the longest)

Q: Why so short a lifespan?

A: Because that's how they have evolved. In the wild they hatch out of their eggs within 24 hours of a pool of rain water forming over them. They then eat and grow and eat again to grow as quickly as possible before the pool of water evaporates. It's amazing watching how fast they grow. Within 7-10 days they're fully adult and can lay 10 eggs a day. They continue to grow in size every day.

Source: http://mytriops.com/articles/faq1.stm

@TG
Actually, sea monkeys are a different animal called a brine shrimp. Triops are called tadpole shrimp or shield shrimp.
As for fish, I think it depends on the kind. Some species of fish might eat the triops. Also, triops themselves can be cannibalistic if they either don't have enough food or become over-populated.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:00 pm

They're pretty cool-looking. I'm a sucker for trilobites too, so I may have to get these. If they keep reproducing that'd be great too. You'd just have a little tank replenishing itself. Could be really cool to turn a tank into a self-sustaining aquarium with plants and stuff.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm

caninesrock wrote:@H20 Sl
If you do get some, I'd be very interested to see pics and updates.

Defientley will. I've been reading up on them all day. I have my old tarantula cage, I plan to set up all the plants, fish, sand and water before I even order the eggs. It has pretty "strict" instructions on the temp. and water type. I'm also wondering about adding more community, but I would like to keep the generation going, and in order to do that, I need to empty the tank and make it completely dry for about a month so the eggs are fully developed. If I have another tank set up, would/could I move the fish and snails? They'll be apple snails and those "sucker fish" (forgot the name) in that video before. I guess I'll have to ask around triop chats.

It sucks they don't live that long..Well, I don't think I'll be naming them then xD. Kinda sad, but pretty interesting.

Ash wrote:They're pretty cool-looking. I'm a sucker for trilobites too, so I may have to get these. If they keep reproducing that'd be great too. You'd just have a little tank replenishing itself. Could be really cool to turn a tank into a self-sustaining aquarium with plants and stuff.

I know right! I think that's what draws me to the idea of keeping them again.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Well the sight I linked mentioned sea monkeys so it confused me.

Our fish tank just has the pleco and a blue gourami. The pleco has eaten tinny fish before. Since they don't last long I probably wont do it. But they might make nice snacks for her as they die off assuming the shell is fairly soft.
H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:01 am

Care Sheet (still being tested)

Materials:
5 gallon tank (1 gallon = 1 triops)
5 gallon tank
Ice mountain water (5 bottles = 1 gallon, shake water)/Tap (must have dechlorinator)
15 bottles, 2 gallons tap chlorine free
Aquarium substrate (without huge amounts of silt, must cause no pH level changes, Coral sand is a no.)
African Cichlid Mix aquarium substrate
Natural decor (must cause no chemical changes to water, add fw plants for oxygen and salad bar)
Java Moss, can live in any environment, is low maintenance, grows rapidly, can be trimmed when too large
Golden Apple snail (optional tank community, will help with leftovers and algae, should be obtained later after a few generations)
Love bubbles, will eat Java Moss, will eat A LOT of vegetation and some of the fish food, will eat about anything a Triop will eat
Filtration (Screen on part of tank to ensure eggs are safe)
Marina Power Filter Slim, has Bio-Guard Filtration
Fish food (Tropical fish pellets)
Cobalt Aquatics
Fish tank heater (timer recommended)
HT10 50W Submersible Heater, will turn off at 78-72F
Light source (timer recommended)
Lamp, About a foot and 3 inches away
Thermometer
Small Strip Thermometer
Alert Combo (pH tester)
pH alert (last 3-6 months), ammonia Alert (lasts a year)
Extra tank for plants and snails
1 gallon fish bowl, same substrate at bottom, move plants and snails when all Triops die and ready for next generation
Black Back drop
Can see the eggs for clear

Requirements
7.0-9.0 ph
Wash sand before use
Temp. within 72-86F (10-12 hours on, 12-14 hours off for fish tank heater, optional)
Must have oxygen available (bubbler, plants, filter, etc.)

Care
First 1-3 days
keep regular light cycle
Lower temperature from hatching temp (75+) to warm (72F)
Feed SMALL amount to babies
Must feed twice or more a day (test how much is left over too make sure they are fed properly)
Water can be changed if too dirty (change only about 25% at a time to avoid shocking any creature)

Food Options
Tubifex worms
Daphnia
Brine shrimp
Fruit fly
Roamian lettus
Mosquito Larva
Bits of dog/cat food
Carrots
Blood worms
Worms

Babies (After the rest of parent triops die)
Turn off any heaters, filters, etc.
Move plants and snails to new tank
Extract the water down to the sand
Let tank dry for at least a month (if the sand can be shifted easily when tilted, it is probably dry enough)
Wait about 2 weeks (month, after sand is dry) for good hatching rates
Add water gradually and stir up top sand for eggs

The bold is what I got and some good info to know. I haven't Gotten the snails yet because I first want to get my tank up and running with Triops. So, I set my tank up, all looks good, Agy (the name of my moss. Really the only thing I can name in that tank :lol: ) looks good. I have ordered the Triops longicaudatus eggs (largest species) and they should be coming in tomarrow. Very excited!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:08 pm

@H20 Sl
That's great that you got everything set up for them. :) Have they arrived yet? Have any of the eggs hatched?

H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:37 pm

caninesrock wrote:@H20 Sl
That's great that you got everything set up for them. :) Have they arrived yet? Have any of the eggs hatched?

For some reason, they never hatched :/. I did leave the eggs out in the cold for about a day, and i'm thinking that, that may have killed them :/. My mistake, ordered some new ones. Hopefully they hatch this time. I'm a little worried that maybe something else killed them. Chlorine or something. Ill take some pool testing strips and see, just to be safe.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 pm

What kind of water did you have them in? I was reading something that said it was best to buy bottled spring water (or I guess spring water in a jug could work too) because tap water(even tap water that's gone through a purification system) can kill them because it has all kinds of chemicals in it.

H20 Sl

Postby H20 Sl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 am

caninesrock wrote:What kind of water did you have them in? I was reading something that said it was best to buy bottled spring water (or I guess spring water in a jug could work too) because tap water(even tap water that's gone through a purification system) can kill them because it has all kinds of chemicals in it.

You know what, That may have been it. I used half spring water and ran out, so i used de-chlorinator in some tap water. I'll drain the water and buy some jugs today.

Return to “Fish and Aquaria - Aquatic inverts”