Both messages are from me, I just thought I would share the ebates with everyone. been wanting to that awhile ago, but, just never got to it.
If you look at the link, you will see sybil's name on it.
Even though I might not post as much as I would like to, but, I do check this board a couple or more times a day.
The ebates is FREE, no money out of your pocket, only in your pocket. I have been using ebates for a long time, it is easy to use once you register. in fact, anytime you shop online, you will get a drop down message from ebates.
Trust me, it is NOT any type of scam.

Get money back when shopping online and at many stores from Ebates.............. most stores have different percentage rates back. (they usually deposit it in Paypal account.
if you did not sign up yet, please use the link below: (you will get an instant 10.00 for signing up. but, please use the link belowe.

https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

===================================================================================================
NOTICE THIS BOARD WILL BE DOWN FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NOT SURE WHEN. I NEED TO DO UPDATES ON IT. I WILL GIVE EVERYONE AMPLE TIME WHEN THIS WILL HAPPEN.

Introduction

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Dovemaiden

Introduction

Postby Dovemaiden » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Hello, I'm Dovemaiden. I just joined your forum. My husband and I live in Utah.
We do raptor rehabilitation, and other wild birds as well.
Occasionally we get in beavers, deer, marmots, baby bears before they are sent to the bear center in Idaho, etc.
Our newest rehab is a raccoon which is why I joined, to learn what to do.
We have stated we don't take in skunks, raccoons or foxes, but Wildlife Resources asked if we would rehab this one, so we have him.
It's been over 40 years since I raised a raccoon (it was a female, back when I lived in NJ).
I see there are lots of new things to learn, so I'm excited about that.
We got the little guy in late May; he had his eyes open about two days.
He fell into a huge pile of soot in someone's chimney.
The ashes were so badly inhaled and swallowed that he stopped breathing and the people that rescued him gave him mouth-to-mouth.
They had him two days, then he opened his eyes. Then he was delivered to us.
He had some respiratory issues. His mouth was so full of ashes the first few days that every time he drank the bottle, the nipple came out black from his mouth.
The entire inside of his mouth was black, and he eliminated ashes in his stool for over 24 hours after we had him.
But he has seemed to recover nicely.
I'd like to get him his vaccinations, and the vet came to see him two days ago, but was unsure what manufacturer's had safe vaccines, so he is checking with some folks, and asked me to check here as well.
I am confused because I saw that Solvay is a recommended brand, but has been incorporated into Abbott Labs or perhaps Merial; and that was one of the rabies shots.
Does anyone know which rabies vaccine we need?
It needs to be a killed one, right?
Fort Dodge was recommended, but I was given differing information on who owns it now; one site said it was taken over by Boehringer Ingelheim; another said its now owned by Pfizer.
I saw the Duramune 5 way of Ft. Dodge was recommended for canine distemper.

What is in the Duramune 5 way and is it a killed vaccine?
Has anyone here used that, or the the Fel-o-vac LVKIII for panleukopenia?

Sorry so many questions:( Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
He is a great little guy, litter box trained immediately. He is terrified of the cats, but loves the dogs and they love him.
What I noticed is that he is a lot different in temperament than the female I had as a kid.
If he was a puppy, I'd call him the "shy" one of the litter; certainly not bold, and scared of any new situations.
We've been trying to help him through that.
I don't want him to grow up scared of new things.
I wonder too, if raccoons can be successfully released to the wild after extensive human handling.
We are trying to limit it, but he does need contact with living beings, like he would have in a litter and with his mom, and so I let him spend a lot of time with our old Lab. She adores him.
Thank you for listening.
Dovemaiden
GitaBooks

Re: Introduction

Postby GitaBooks » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:19 am

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

That's amazing that you help so many animals. The poor guy sounds like he had a tough beginning and is lucky to have you.
I'm not a coon expert, but I can say that there are some people who rescue raccoons and keep them, others release them on protect land once they are old enough, and some let them come and go as they please. It depends on state law, if he is too tame, ect. When kept in litters they tend to be handled as little as possible, but since he is all by himself he needs lots of attention to keep him from becoming lonely.

Hope others can answer you're questions better than I can. : )

Best of luck!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:45 am

Most people do a soft release once old enough. There are various levels of that. Like letting him come and go as he pleases till/if he decides to be gone.

Or move him out side to a enclosure at first to the release site, day visits to the enclosure then left there then eventually open the door and leave food and shelter for him till/if he stops coming back. Generally the more successful way but is also normally done with more than one coon.

You'll want to take him for lots of walks and try to help him look for native foods so he can learn while young.
Dovemaiden

Postby Dovemaiden » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am

Thank you so much for your kind welcome.
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back on the board (it's been an incredibly busy summer).
The little guy is not so little anymore----he weighed in at 13 lbs last week.
We bought an outside kennel with a dog house, and he spends a lot of time there next to the two labs. I don't know if he'll ever be able to be released but I've taken him for a lot of nature walks. He's still a Mama's Boy whenever something new surprises him, but he loves exploring.
I appreciate your good advice and warm thoughts. Dovemaiden
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Aww, that's sweet. I'm sure he loves his nature walks.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”