PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello :)

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kasper

Hello :)

Postby Kasper » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Hey everyone!
So I'm Kasper and I currently reside in the UK.
My main goal by joining this forum is to learn about what it is like to own a an exotic animal(mostly a fox) and what I should be doing to prepare for owning one. :)
I'm a few years off from getting one at the moment (need a well-paid job, house, etc, etc) but I'm eagar to learn everything I can :)

I'm also interested in knowing which animals get on best together and which don't as I would like to get on and if I want multiple pets, which order do I get them in (e.g. if I want a dog and a fox. Do I get a dog and bring the fox into the dog's world? or the other way around).

Animals I am interested to own at some point in the future(Not all of them but a few most interested in):
- Red foxes
- Fennec foxes (Most interested in)
- Arctic foxes
- Caracal (If legal in the UK)
- Fishing cat
Critters interested in owning at a later date:
- Fennec Fox, Arctic Fox, Red Fox
Kwandrsn

Re: Hello :)

Postby Kwandrsn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Kasper. I'm new here as well. We have been doing lots of research for a while now about red foxes. Finally pulled the trigger and put a deposit down on a baby. We have a little less than 3 months before we get it. We have 2 dogs. One is an inside dog mostly except we let her out to use the bathroom. The other is a stray puppy that showed up and never left and stays outside. Our fox will be a baby so the fox will learn to live with the dogs. As for our dogs the inside dog is about 8 years old and she doesn't seem to mind other animals. She will chase a rabbit occasionally but never gets close enough to catch one and if she did she would be scared of it. The outside does is a little hyper but still young and seems to love other dogs so I don't expect any issues there. we also have a hedgehog and we will have to make 100% sure the fox cannot get to the hedgehog because I'm pretty sure that would not end well. I'm no fox expert but I wouldn't keep any prey animals around foxes, they most likely be will be dinner.

If I had a choice and was going to get another dog I'd wait and get them at the same time so they grow up together.
Kevin Anderson
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello, and welcome.

It really depends on your personal preference which fox you get first. I personally would keep the different species separate. Sometimes arctics and reds get along, but other times a red can kill an arctic. So separate enclosures would be a must. As long as they all had their own space, it wouldn't matter which order you got them in.

That being said, exotic cats are a step above canids. So I definitely don't recommend getting an exotic cat as your first exotic.

Any of the foxes would make a good starter exotic. A fennec might be easier for you to house, and it would live indoors with you. Their diet can be tricky, but there are some good sites such as this one: http://tiny-foxes.com/Diet.html that have great info.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kasper

Postby Kasper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome :)

I look forward to conversing with the community you have here!

Kwandrsm; That's so cool! I wish you all the best when you recieve the kit! If you could let me know what it's like to own one that would be most helpful! :)

Ash: Thanks for the link! I'll have a look at it later this week :) and I'll make a note of what you've said for future reference.
Kwandrsn

Postby Kwandrsn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Kasper wrote:Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome :)

I look forward to conversing with the community you have here!

Kwandrsm; That's so cool! I wish you all the best when you recieve the kit! If you could let me know what it's like to own one that would be most helpful! :)

Ash: Thanks for the link! I'll have a look at it later this week :) and I'll make a note of what you've said for future reference.

Will do I'll post on here from time to time but I'll mostly be posting on fb
Kevin Anderson
Kasper

Postby Kasper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am

Awesome! thanks :)

If your comfortable with it, can you link me to where you are posting the updates?
Perfectly fine if not, I'll just keep my eyes open on here for them :)
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

Foxes rock! I can say that dogs are almost always more tolerant of new pets than exotic pets are of getting a new dog. Its sort of the same way with most animals from what I can tell. Our cats tend to like the dogs that were there before them better than the dogs we got after their arrival. However, a friendly or laid back cat can be very tolerant.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”