HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAYS TO ALL

please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello all

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

Nlucio22

Hello all

Postby Nlucio22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I have visited this page multiple times over the years but never registered or posted until a couple of days ago. I live in a state where its illegal to own a fox however because of a weird chain of events I did own one for 4 years until a few days ago when she passed. I am devastated becasuse she was like a child to me and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that she's really gone or that I will never hear her little giggle/squeak/squeal or bury my face in her soft fur. I have no plans of owning another until I leave this dumb state but one day I hope to own another if we retire to a state that they are legally in. I love the info that's here and how everyone answers questions, this site helped me raise my girl. I enjoyed looking at the pictures of everyone different animals that were posted last night when I was clicking on different topics. Anyways hope everyone has a great day
Nlucio22

Re: Hello all

Postby Nlucio22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:42 pm

*she was not taken and put down or anything like that but if I lived in a state she was legal maybe she could have been rushed to the vet and saved
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Welcome. Sorry for your loss.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you, and thank you for always replying icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm sorry that you lost her. It can be very hard to lose a pet. Maybe once you move you'll be able to get another that will fill the void in your heart. Not replace her, just fill that empty space she left behind.

Welcome to the board.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Thank you Ash. That's the plan, I want to have a list of breeders in hand so when I move I can see if they're still breeding and put a deposit down. But a part of me also thinks she was just a rare and special once in a life time animal. She was so cool, loving and beautiful and I don't know if its because of the circumstances of her being found and raised how she was, her personality or the type of fox she was. I have told my poor husband many times that I love our zoo of rescued animals but that the love I have for Chi (my fox) and Mouse Princess (one of my cats) is just barely under how much I love my children and is almost up there with how much I love him. There just is/was something special about those two animals that I can't explain and I know it probably makes me a crazy person but I can't help the way they grabbed my heart. If i wasn't so worried about getting in trouble for owning her because of the laws I would share pictures of her. Here's my rotten kitty icon-smile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 pm

My hubby got this little guy for me to hang on the tree and it's super cute but I think he was disappointed it made me cry. He isn't understanding how devastated I am. He's sad because i'm sad but I know he's probably happy she won't be running around snatching his socks and stuff and that we can finally start repairing the damage from her and move back into our master bedroom since the master bed and bed had been converted into her room.

The first picture was from last year, the necklace was a present last Christmas from my mom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:51 am

That's a cute ornament.

I understand my Pua anteater died early this year and it still hurts.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 am

Nlucio22

welcome to sybilsden.

I am so very sorry for the loss of you fox, especially at such a young age. I can certainly relate to how you feel.

sure wish we knew what caused your foxes death. she may of had an underlying health issue. it is so hard to say.
what were her symptoms? even after years of owning foxes and many other animals, I am still learning.

what were you feeding her? (not saying that was the cause) however, foxes need taurine in their diet. I am sure you probably already know that.

I am very glad you finally joined us. there are a lot of great and knowledgeable members here.

again, welcome, glad you joined us,

pat
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:That's a cute ornament.

I understand my Pua anteater died early this year and it still hurts.

Thanks.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Thank you Pat.

To answer some of your questions, my girl was born in late February of '14, I got her in June of 2015. So she would have been 5 this coming February. For dinner each night she was fed half a can of Taste of The Wild cat food, mixed in with half a can of Merrick's Thanksgiving dinner, I would add taurine, a raw egg and the smashed up egg shell. She got live crickets dumped into the tub and I would put her in the with the glass doors closed so she could pouch and munch on them. She ate snap peas, cooked chicken, she would go wild for the occasional piece of watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe but she only got those on occasion and I brushed her teeth after. She got other things occasionally like a bite of bacon or cooked steak but since the person that had her before me only fed her dry cat food she was very picky by the time she got here. She wouldn't do raw anything besides eggs.

She was fine for the day leading to the night of her death. My daughter was watching TV in the living room and Chi was laying under the entertainment center starting out. Then my daughter yelled for me because Chi darted out whimpering and ran to my bed. I was in the office doing school work so I went to check her and she seemed fine. I picked her up and sat up against the headboard with her laying on my lap, she seemed fine but after a bit I looked down and realized her face was starting to swell, I told my husband I needed to give her some benadryl because I thought she must have gotten into something without us realizing it and she was having an allergic reaction. We gave her benadryl but the swelling continued. I could see her throat was now starting to swell so I said we need to give her a little more benadryl (I think I had given a quarter of the pill the first dose) but my daughter said she thought we had actually already given her a little more than we should have so I was trying to read about how much was too much and she started struggling to breath. My dumbass put my mouth around her snout and started trying to blow breaths into her but since her throat was closing it wasn't doing any good. She died in my arms. I'm thinking even though we have a pest control person that maybe there was a spider under the entertainment center and that's why she kept swelling after I gave benadryl. Or maybe benadryl can't even be given to foxes. Either way she trusted me and I failed her, and that kills me, it also kills me she's gone. I thought she would live to be 12-15 years old, I tried feeding her good stuff even though she was picky, I brushed her teeth and checked them regularly since I didn't want decay or cavities to occur because I couldn't take her to the vet. When she started getting plump, I cut back the amount of food and treats she was given so she wouldn't be overweight or end up with diabetes.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Could have been a spider or scorpion. I found a small scorpion in the kitchen once and didn't even know they lived around here. Could have even been a stink bug they make cat's mouths swell up bad, they don't normally kill but some individuals have worse reactions. Benadryl is be fine to give. I've even given it to an anteater before when she was having allergic reactions. When they get to the point of throat closing epinephrine is needed. You did the best you could for the circumstance.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Dang it, I didn't even think about trying my son's EpiPen but had I not been in a panic and the thought would have crossed my mind I would even know how to administer it to an animal.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 pm

You would? I'd have to look up the dose but know that you'd have to break it open. The human dose would be way too much, so you'd have to take the proper smaller amount from the contents and inject it with another needle. Even if you did know how to give it safely to a smaller animal like that, try not to blame yourself for not thinking of it. It's hard to think clearly when going through trauma.

I know how traumatizing it is to watch a loved pet die that way, not for the same reasons though. A coyote grabbed my cat when I was in high school. I got it to drop her but it had her by the throat. We had no working transportation at the time and no neighbors would help so I could just hold her and cry as her throat swelled shut.
Nlucio22

Postby Nlucio22 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 pm

No that was suppose to say I wouldn't.
Oh no that's awful.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”