PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Looking to bond with a fox

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

hellomynameis_03

Looking to bond with a fox

Postby hellomynameis_03 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:21 am

Hello all!
I am currently looking to buy a fox of my own. I have never owned one before but am looking up as much information on them as possible. My family and I have, in the past, owned many animals. Ranging from cats, dogs to chickens and pigs. My person favorite so far has been the chicken. Surprisingly a wonderful pet to own. Anyway back on topic of owning a fox. I have been interested in owning a fox for awhile but have never actively sought to inquire information on them until recently. I will admit I would love to own one for the exotic aspect of owning a fox. I mean WHAT would be cooler than owning a fox? Haha. But that's not the only reason I would love to own one. Just a part of it. They are one of the cutest animals out there. They are so energetic and full of life. Now I've read many places and gotten a lot of different views on how hard it is to own a fox. Some people say it's really, really hard. Others say with the right care given it can be easy (or at least rewarding to make it seem easy). No matter the level of difficulty in owning a fox I am still determined to bond with one of my own all the same. I would just like to get advice and input from all you experienced fox owners. What are your experiences with owning foxes? Are they easy to take care of in the way of training and such? How well can they be tamed (obviously to an extent as they haven't been domesticated for very long in the way of some pets such as dogs and cats). Are they loyal to their owners after a period of time? And above all what are some of the highlights of owning a fox? The rewards if you will. Basically the best stories you have with your little cute balls of fur. haha. Now the closer I come to actually owning a fox the more active I will become on this site as I can get first hand answers from all of you wonderful fox owners. But I am 100% willing to answer any questions you may have for me such as living conditions and such. So please feel free to ask anything you like to get to know me better. I've already looked up the requirements it takes to own a fox in my state. Once I've gotten one lined up I will take the necessary steps to obtain the permit (of course making sure I can obtain the permit before putting any money into purchasing a fox). Also I will begin building an outside enclosure for said fox once I know it's ok to own one in my particular town. I have a huge backyard in which to build one. Anyone with advice on which type of enclosure to build for a red fox please let me know. I've heard for fennex foxes you have to make sure they can't dig out. But what about red foxes? What precautions should be used for those?

Well I know this is pretty lengthy but I definitely want to obtain as much information on these wonderful animals as I can before committing to buy one as I want to provide the best possible living situation for them. Thank you all.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Looking to bond with a fox

Postby sarajeku » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:00 am

Fennec foxes are generally kept indoors. They can't really deal with temperature changes (the exception being possibly southern florida) so they're mostly "house foxes."

Vulpes vulpes ("red" foxes) are mostly kept outdoors in an enclosure. Their enclosure needs to have a top on it to ensure they can't climb out and the fence will need to be buried a few feet into the ground so they can't dig out. I believe 4 feet was the minimum, but I could be wrong on that. Someone will correct me if I am. You'll need to check your state and city laws to make sure they're legal. I've discovered in my state you CAN have them, but you can't import them, so also double check to make sure before you buy that you can bring your fox into the state and that you can obtain a transport permit to do so.

It seems you're mostly interested in vulpes vulpes? At least that's what I gathered from your post. Is there a specific color morph you like best?

Bonding with a fox can be incredibly rewarding but very challenging if you wind up with an aggressive kit. But if you persevere and you do bond with said kit, then that bond will be even more rewarding (such as with Alynn and her arctic, Miehiera). Elina will be able to answer your questions about trainability, etc. since she has several different species of fox and she is amazing with them.
I wouldn't say they are loyal like a dog in the sense that if you let them go they will follow you. If you take a fox out of its enclosure outside and let it off of a leash, be prepared for a wild "fox" chase or to never see the animal again, because they are very movement, scent, sound.. any stimulus oriented and anything that gets its attention will cause the fox to run and not pay any attention to you when you call it back. Especially in a new fun place like outside! It may eventually come back when it gets tired or hungry though, since you're where the food comes from. :lol:
hellomynameis_03

Postby hellomynameis_03 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for responding! :)

I'm not really concerned as to the color I get but yes I am interested in the vulpes vulpes. I'm partial to the red or silver but any of the colors would be fine for me. I would love it all the same. haha. They are all beautiful colors. I've been reading a lot of different websites on what is required to take care of them and found one in particular site that has a lot of great information. It's very helpful with what is required of a fox owner and even how to train them. I also now it is LEGAL to own a fox in Illinois, which is the state in which I reside, but not sure about the laws of my town. I live in a small of a population of about 4000 so I don't think this will be much of a problem but I will definitely make sure I check on this. But I don't believe it is illegal. I also believe with Illinois law there is no specification on where you can or can not obtain them. So I believe you can get them from anywhere as long as you get them from a licensed breeder or otherwise. Just as long as you have all paperwork associated with said fox.

Also I don't plan on letting my fox run around freely without a leash outside ever. Haha. Definitely wouldn't want to take the chance of losing such a wonderful pet. I plan to build a really good sized outside enclosure as well as a decent indoor one. Mostly for the outdoor. Will probably let it run freely supervised indoors most of the time. But during those winter nights I will need a good indoor cage for him. But as I won't really be able to get one until spring of next year I'll worry about his permanent indoor enclosure for winters next winter.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Welcome to the forums! :) I'm sure you'll learn a lot in your stay here.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
hellomynameis_03

Postby hellomynameis_03 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks! I hope I do :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi, welcome to the board. :) I'm from Illinois, so I can answer all yer legal questions. :icon-wink: Yes, all types of foxes are legal in Illinois, but only native foxes need a permit--so that's just reds and grays. The only requirement for importation is that the fox has a health certificate before being brought into the state (I believe 30 days before it's imported)--which any good breeder is going to give you anyway. So it's super easy to get a fox in IL.

You'll probably be fine if your town is that small, but of course, you should always check to be sure. All you need to do is go to your city hall and ask for a copy of the animal ordinances; try not to tell them you're getting a fox until you've seen the laws yourself because lots of times people will generally tell you "no, you can't keep a wild animal" just because they don't know any better. Then keep a copy of the laws with you.

Reds will dig out of an enclosure. What I suggest is you just put chain link on the ground and get a sandbox full of dirt for your fox to dig in. I recommend chainlink for an enclosure--you'll have to have chainlink across the top too because they'll climb out.

One of the most satisfying things about owning any exotic animal is knowing that you have successfully tamed and have bonded with a wild animal. You really appreciate the way they interact with you. One of the best things is when your fox greets you--tail wagging, panting, low to the ground, rolls over on its back so you can scratch its tummy.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Destiny'smom

Postby Destiny'smom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Welcome to the board. I myself own a 6 month old Silver Fox that I got when she was 3 wks old. My personal experience is that I'm not as happy with her as I thought I would be. I did tons of research and spoke with several people who own different species of fox, including Fennec & Red. Plus I own several different species of animals including dogs, cats, horses, pot bellied pigs, parrots, domestic skunks and several wild animals that I've raised and released, I also owned a Fennec for a short time and have a friend who has several Fennecs that I interact with

I took her places and spent lots of time with her from the time she came home, she is bonded to me. Although I knew that Fox like to mark, she pees everywhere all the time - although she has a pan, she only uses it on occasion. I've also learned that she will see something she wants, grab it and run. Her latest things are she comes inside at night and she waits until she gets inside and then she starts to poop also she scratches her crate at night to the point where she keeps the whole household awake all night long.

Even though she's been raised around the same people in my house, she will only allow myself and my daughter near her, occasionally she'll allow my son to come close.

My personal opinion is that although I love her and I'm obligated to keep her because I don't believe in disposing of an animal just because it isn't going the way you want it to - they're part of the family too - I often find myself regretting purchasing her.

This is in no way an attempt to talk you out of getting a fox - but I wanted to give you my opinion on what's happening here so that you can see that although I did do my research, it still isn't working out here - that's not to say it won't be different for you.

Wishing you the best of luck....
Vicki

Mom to: Gin (Silver Fox kit), Ethan (squirrel), Moufey, Destiny, Aidan, Phoebe, Ruby & Shyla (Domestic Skunks) & Tobi (African Grey Parrot)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:12 am

Destiny's Mom, thanks for posting your experience. I hope it will help all prospective owners before they purchase a fox. It's really good to highlight the difficulties.

I'm sorry it didn't work out well for you. :icon-frown:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:21 am

Welcome. ^^ And good luck with your future fox.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”