PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Guess who's back?^^

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Guess who's back?^^

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 am

Not sure if this is the right forum section for this kind of topic, so mods feel free to move if necessary.

So,it turns out things in the zoo program didn't work out for me and for awhile, my interest in exotics went down. (I still supported other people's right to have them though). Due to my circumstances of having to drop the program do to a handicap with using tools, I had to move back to Texas,which is part of why I lost some interest in exotics because pretty much most exotics that I want can only remain a dream here. :/ But oh well. I may not be able to get a fox or raccoon here,but it seems I can still have a coatimundi and a wolfdog(possibly a pure wolf,not sure on that one though. Would have to research more) here and maybe a coyote if I read the fur-bearing law right.

Sadly, most of the animals I really want I can't have anyway though because they are critically endangered like the Mexican Gray Wolf and Red Wolf,such beautiful animals. I was considering seeing what it would take to become part of the breeding for reintroduction program so I could legal have them. It woudln't be quite the same though because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to interact with them at all or very little since their offspring would have to be released into the wild.

Anyways, I'm back.

Yay. :happyfox:
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guess who's back?^^

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:49 am

Welcome back. I wondered and thought it might be something along those lines. I checked once and saw you log in from time to time so figured you'd return when ready.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 am

caninesrock wrote:It woudln't be quite the same though because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to interact with them at all or very little since their offspring would have to be released into the wild.

That's right. They have to be kept where they can't even see people (for the most part) and would most likely have to be sedated for veterinary stuff. I'd much rather do something where I can cuddle the babies. Rehab is tough for me until we get one that is unreleasable, like Totem, then it's so rewarding. I know that's probably bad to say, but :shrug: I love my boy. lol
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:46 pm

sarajeku wrote:
caninesrock wrote:It woudln't be quite the same though because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to interact with them at all or very little since their offspring would have to be released into the wild.

That's right. They have to be kept where they can't even see people (for the most part) and would most likely have to be sedated for veterinary stuff. I'd much rather do something where I can cuddle the babies. Rehab is tough for me until we get one that is unreleasable, like Totem, then it's so rewarding. I know that's probably bad to say, but :shrug: I love my boy. lol

I kind of figure it was like that,but then I wasn't so sure because I've seen red wolves and mexican gray wolves at zoos where they are completely exposed to the public and wondered if that wouldn't make them used to humans? :shrug:

Lol. XD Nah. It's understandable to get attached.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:22 am

Hi, welcome back. :) By the zoo program, do you mean Moorpark?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 am

Splashstorm wrote:Hi, welcome back. :) By the zoo program, do you mean Moorpark?

No. I mean the one in Florida. I'm hoping to maybe try out the Moore Park one though as it seems like it's more of what I'm interested in. The Florida one didn't really allow any animal contact as it was for zoo-keeping,not training, and sadly, mostly zoo-keepers rarely actually get to interact with the animals in their care(unless the animals is something really small and non-threating like a meerkat or raccoon). They only get to clean up after them,fix their enclosures depending on whether or not the zoo has a seperate maintenance team, and talk to the public about the animals. At the Moore Park Zoo, because it's a training program, I hear that they let you have direct contact with the animals to train them and stuff.

w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:15 am

Welcome back :icon-wink:
Sucks that things didn't work out for you, maybe they will better in the future. good luck!
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 am

Really? That must really stink. :x How do they expect you to be a good zookeeper if you never do anything with the animals?

I'm going to Moorpark after I get my prerequisites done. They are really hands-on, mostly during the second year. What was the Florida place that you were going to?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 am

@Wolfgirl: Thanks. ^^ And yay. I'm hoping the California school will work out better since it has more direct animal involvement, more mammals,and more carnivores than the Florida program. I'm also hoping it involves less tool-use,since my inability/possibly even handicap(?) to use tools is part of what made me have to leave the Florida zoo program since it relied heavily on using tools and maintenance work.

Splashstorm wrote:Really? That must really stink. :x How do they expect you to be a good zookeeper if you never do anything with the animals?

I'm going to Moorpark after I get my prerequisites done. They are really hands-on, mostly during the second year. What was the Florida place that you were going to?

We did maitanence stuff. Everything with the animals was hands-off except for with a few small mammals(even then only if you got assinged to the educational program section of the zoo) and reptiles. We put up fence posts, built enclosures, tore down old fences, pulled weeds,cleaned leaves out of the playground mulch, and just generally did boring and hard work that had nothing to do with animals directly. We would also clean out the animals exhibits of waste and stuff while they were locked away in a backroom so we wouldn't have any direct "dangerous" contact with them. :roll:

Well,even in real zoos, like I said, you don't ever get direct contact with the animals considered dangerous,which is most if not all carnivores, and most if not all primates. For example, I went to the Houston Zoo the other day and saw several animal talks. The raccoon zoo keeper was in with the raccoon hand-feeding it and the meerkat keeper giving the talk on merekats was inside the enclosure with the meerkats feeding them. However, when we got to the African Wild Dog talk, the keeper was standing outside the exhibit and tossing them their food over the fence. When someone asked her if she was going to go in with them, she stated that while the African Wild Dogs was one of the few less dangerous carnivores the zoo had and that she probably could go in with them, that zoo policy didn't allow her to because all the carnivores at the zoo were hands-off. I even saw the fossa keeper before feeding the fossa it's food with a reach pole through the bars and a fossa if you've ever seen it in real-life is a really small carnivore. :nogif:

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:18 am

That's insane! I thought all zookeepers got to interact with the animals. I'm so happy I took the animal training path. O-O" !!!

From the site:
"This program teaches students the principles and techniques of animal training, using a "hands-on" approach.... Just about every animal ... is "assigned" to one or several students. The students are responsible for the care of their assigned animals, and for training their animals to do new behaviors or for animal husbandry. ... The students receive a grade, based on how well their animal performs.
Finally, by the time the students have completed the program, they are able to combine all the skills they have learned, and apply the techniques to any type of situation where animals are present, and to almost any species of animal, anywhere in the world."

I was talking to someone and they said there was another teaching zoo in Florida and for me to check it out, but I already had my mind set on Moorpark. Did you go to the Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo?

ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

Splashstorm wrote:That's insane! I thought all zookeepers got to interact with the animals. I'm so happy I took the animal training path. O-O" !!!

I thought that too at first,but apparently carnivores are off limits in AZA zoos,which really sucks because I want to work with wolves inside the enclosure with them.

I was talking to someone and they said there was another teaching zoo in Florida and for me to check it out, but I already had my mind set on Moorpark. Did you go to the Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo?

Yes. That's the one I went to. I wouldn't reccomend going if you are interested in direct contact with animals. Also not a good place if your main interest is mammals and/or carnivores. Most of their collection is reptiles and birds and stuff,with only a few mammals, and only 2 carnivores. The California one has much better animals in my opinion,but that may be just because I'm not really into reptiles or birds,but mostly into mammals,especially carnivorious mammals.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:30 pm

I just looked at Santa Fe's animals and I only saw two carnivorous mammals: the ocelot and caracal. That's a shame. : / How come you didn't just go to Moorpark in the first place?

ImageImage
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm

What are some other things I should be aware of in the EATM program?
alligator with karen and lauraYou must be able to get along with people. Often times, people want to go to work with animals, because they do not want to be around, or deal with other people. This is definitely not the case here at the EATM program. You will be around people all day. You must be able to get along with fellow students, faculty, your co-trainers, and the public, in order to take care of the animals at our zoo. If you are unable or unwilling to do this, you will not last long at the EATM program. In fact, do not even apply!
You will also be doing educational presentations to school groups of pre-school through high-school aged students, and also giving tours of the zoo to these same groups. This is a requirement of the program. If you are not ready to do this, please do not apply to the EATM program.
There are long, hard days associated with the EATM program. You will be arriving at the zoo most mornings at 6am to clean and feed. Then on weekdays you will have classes much of the day from 9am until 4pm. Then you will be feeding again in the evening. Saturday and Sunday, when the zoo is open to the public, you will be doing Wildlife Education shows, interacting with the public, as well as the cleaning and feeding again. This program will keep you very busy.

Remember - "The Animals Always Come First" here at America's Teaching Zoo.
Do I really have to euthanize some animals during the program?
YES. This is a requirement of the program. In order to feed some of the carnivores, snakes, birds-of-prey and other animals we have in the collection, it is necessary to euthanize their prey items (rats, rabbits, pigeons and others). All students must perform these tasks, regardless of any personal or religious beliefs. You are instructed in the humane ways of euthanization.

So maybe mostly cleaning tools. I thought I read somewhere there could be some ground maintenance too but I could be wrong. But if so they should be willing to work with you.

I have a learning or other type of disability - can I still be in the EATM program?
Yes. Usually several students in each class at the EATM program have some type of verified disability. Moorpark College has an excellent program for students with disabilities - the ACCESS services. You can call them at (805) 378-1461. The EATM program is very demanding, both physically and mentally. Students must be able to handle the rigors of the program. Verification of this ability may be required by a physician, and the Moorpark College Health Center.
Students with disabilities, whether physical, learning, or psychological, who believe that they may need accommodations in this class, are encouraged to contact ACCESS as soon as possible to arrange for these accommodations. Authorization, based on verification of disability, is required in the form of a "Confidential Memo" before any disability accommodation will be made in this class. The phone number for ACCESS is (805) 378-1461 and their office is located in the building just to the right of the Campus Center. Drop-in hours are available.

Maybe you could look into getting a test done to see if there is something they can specifically lable and verify, just in case, you do wind up needing it.
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 pm

caninesrock wrote:@Wolfgirl: Thanks. ^^ And yay. I'm hoping the California school will work out better since it has more direct animal involvement, more mammals,and more carnivores than the Florida program. I'm also hoping it involves less tool-use,since my inability/possibly even handicap(?) to use tools is part of what made me have to leave the Florida zoo program since it relied heavily on using tools and maintenance work.

Hopefully it does. I wanted to work at a zoo at one point.. I suck at biology though.. And i'm pretty sure i'd be just as "tool-literate" as you say you are, if not even more so, so don't feel too bad about it. :lol:
Honestly i've never really liked the way that a lot of things work in Florida.. and imo it's just not to great of a place to live, i'm a mixture of southern city and northern country.. so i don't think beaches and that type of heat agree with me.. And thenevery beach i went to in florida was just dirty.. We went the entire coast just about when i was younger, even went all the way down that strip thing and we went to that NASA place.. The beaches were just aweful and i hate the smell of the ocean so no florida for me :roll:
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you here again. It definitely sounds like the program in CA is what you would like doing best. It would be great for you to eventually wind up where you want to be.

If you got to the point where you'd be able to keep endangered species, you could interact with them as long as they were a captive breeding population. You need a healthy captive population before you can start releasing them and being "hands-off." You'll always need some captive animals that you can interact with.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “INTRODUCTION”