PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Guess who's back?^^

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Guess who's back?^^

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I just looked at Santa Fe's animals and I only saw two carnivorous mammals: the ocelot and caracal. That's a shame. : / How come you didn't just go to Moorpark in the first place?

Yeah. I know because we're just beginners, they don't even give us a chance to look after so-called "dangerous" animals. Well, in the California program, people are all beginners too and they get to look after and even interact directly with some really dangerous animals.

Well, I really wanted go to Moore Park,but there are several reasons that stopped me:

1.Distance from Family. It was my first time I had ever been far from home when I went to Florida. My family all live in either Louisiana or Texas and even from Florida, it took them 10 to 12 hours to drive in and visit me so they weren't able to come in that often. If I lived in California, it's so far away,much longer than 12 hours and I'd never or rarely see my family since the drive would be extremely long and plane fair is so expensive that my family can't really afford it that often.

2. You need a car for the program according to the website. I have no car and I don't know how to drive. I never even thought about or wanted to drive before since I've been terrified of it and how dangerous it is especially since I have a phobia of anything to do with cars. I literally used to freeze up when I had to cross the streets. I'm getting better at getting over my fears of it though and can now cross instead of freezing up but my heart still races really fast like I'm having a panic attack when I'm in the presence of moving cars whether it's having to cross a street or even simply being in a parking lot where the cars are moving. However, lately, I've realized that maybe I shoud just suck it up and learn how to drive because it seems there are alot of opportunites you miss out on when you have to depend on public transportation or other people for transportation and that a car is pretty much necessary to get to like 90% of places and do 90% of things.

3. You have to euthanize animals for the program. While it still bothers my conscience, I could handle the throwing rats into a box to be gassed,but what really bothers me is the description of how you have to euthanize the birds explained in the book "Kicked,Bitten, and Scratched." I don't know if the euthanize methods of the birds have changed since the student who wrote the book graduated from the program or not,but basically you have to kill the birds by squeezing their neck until their head literally pops off. It all sounds very violent and horrific. I'm afraid it will turn me violent. As it is, I already struggle with violent intruisive thoughts caused by my diagnozed OCD disorder and my greatest fear is what if one day I lose control of myself and act on my thoughts. I've been extremely good about controlling my actions and ignoring my thoughts,but I'm not sure how having to kill something so brutally and directly with my bare-hands would affect me mentally, especially considering I already have mental problems.

4. From the website, it sounds like Moore Park is hard to get into. Santa Fe was a first come-first serve thing. If you were one of the people to apply when positions were still open,you got in the program. Moore Park makes it sound like you have to have previous animal experience and all kinds of other stuff in order to compete with other people on who gets in the program,rather than it being a first come-first serve basis.

5.You have to have 5 prereq courses to get in Moore Park that you didn't need for Santa Fe. I've already took and passed Biology,but I failed College Alegbra and would have to take it again to get into the program. In addition, I have not yet taken a college English class nor the other two required classes.

So maybe mostly cleaning tools. I thought I read somewhere there could be some ground maintenance too but I could be wrong. But if so they should be willing to work with you.

I hope so. I'm toast if it's maintenance construction tools like screw-drivers,wrenches,hammers,etc. But mops,brooms,sponges,those kinds of things I can handle.

you could look into getting a test done to see if there is something they can specifically lable and verify, just in case, you do wind up needing it.

I guess I could,but I'm not even sure if I have a disability and if I do what it is and what to be tested for. My family is convinced that I have some kind of motor-skills problem,but I didn't really notice it myself until I had trouble with the tools. Also, my family also likes to claim that they think I'm very mildly autistic and I guess I do kind of have some of the symptoms,but I tend to not take them too seriously because I've never be offically diagnosed with autisim or asperger's and my family likes to toss around and claim things that I have that I've never even officially been diagnosed with. I don't even know how or where you get tested for that kind of thing, like to see if you really are autistic or not.

Hopefully it does. I wanted to work at a zoo at one point.. I suck at biology though.. And i'm pretty sure i'd be just as "tool-literate" as you say you are, if not even more so, so don't feel too bad about it.

Yeah. I'm not so sure I want to actually be a zoo-keeper anymore seeing how much tool-work it involves. Though I have heard that some of the larger zoos have a seperate maintenance team and the zoo keepers themselves don't really have to worry about tools. Still,I don't think I'll ever work for an AZA zoo if I do become a zoo keeper because none of them allow the keepers inside the enclosure with carnivores. I'm pretty good at biology,but I kind of suck at math,which has made my goal a bit of challenge since in addition to being required by all college degrees, quite a bit of math is required for all science related degrees. I try not to feel too bad about it. The instructor of the program really made me feel like I was stupid or incompetent or something for not being able to use the tools though and it really did a number on my already low self-esteem. I hope the instructors at the California school are nicer.

Honestly i've never really liked the way that a lot of things work in Florida.. and imo it's just not to great of a place to live, i'm a mixture of southern city and northern country.. so i don't think beaches and that type of heat agree with me.. And thenevery beach i went to in florida was just dirty.. We went the entire coast just about when i was younger, even went all the way down that strip thing and we went to that NASA place.. The beaches were just aweful and i hate the smell of the ocean so no florida for me.

The part of Florida I went in didn't really have any beaches. It was northern Florida. It was a pathetically small and boring city though. I'm used to big cities with alot to do as my entire life I lived first in New Orleans and then in Houston after Hurricane Katrina. The city was Gainesville and it was about an hour from Tampa one way and an hour from Orlando the other way. I really wanted to go to Busch Gardens, Disney World, and Universal Studios while I was there. But the public transporation only went locally,not that far, I had no car and don't know how to drive, and I don't really have the money to visit those places since tickets are so expensive for them.

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you here again. It definitely sounds like the program in CA is what you would like doing best. It would be great for you to eventually wind up where you want to be.

If you got to the point where you'd be able to keep endangered species, you could interact with them as long as they were a captive breeding population. You need a healthy captive population before you can start releasing them and being "hands-off." You'll always need some captive animals that you can interact with.

Thank you. ^^ Yes. I think I really want to do it even though there are a few concerns about it that I listed above. Really? That would be awesome. I know the wolf sanctuary I used to volunteer at had a Mexican Gray Wolf that the volunteers interacted with,but that was different because she was found badly injured in a trap and was unreleasable and it was a different kind of permit she was under because she wasn't for breeding or reintroduction purposes,but under a permit in which the sanctuary was allowed to keep/rescue non-releasable endangered species and subspecies of wolf.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Could be aspergers though some things can look like it and testing reveal it's something else.

How do you get an “official diagnosis” of Asperger Syndrome?

Many individuals pursue neuropsychological testing with a neuropsychologist (PhD) or a psychiatrist (MD). As a result of this testing, it may be determined that the individual has Asperger Syndrome, something related to AS, or something different. This will give a fairly full picture of strengths and challenges and of how one’s brain processes information.
In addition to those with an MD or PhD, any professional with the credentials and expertise to diagnose any other condition may also make a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome. Such professionals may be social workers (MSW), master’s level psychologists (MA), or other mental health professionals.
Neuropsychological testing is not required to get an “official diagnosis”. To apply for SSI there must be written documentation in the record from an M.D. or PhD. that there is some type of a psychological issue (not necessarily AS). There is no requirement of psych testing. The other issues regarding inability to work may be best described by other clinicians.
http://www.aane.org/about_asperger_synd ... dults.html

So you really just need some professional to say there is some sort of problem. You could have a MD just diagnose if you have motor skills issues of some sort. Or you could have someone test for aspergers or other similar issues.

The testing could be helpful not just for the school but to help you better know what your issues are and how to handle them. You might find something in the phone book or ask a counsilor(though I know your not in school right now but one would know where to go), or google about testing in your area.

On the euthanasia. The way you describe birds sounds like what has been discussed here under a raising food for your own animals thread(rats or rabbits) you put their head in this thing and just kind of pull and their spine is severed at the neck(no blood). It's super quick and humane if done right. The birds are probably similar but you use your hands since so small and longer neck. You'll probably find it's not as bad as you think it will be though it will be hard at first just because of how you feel going in.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Well,it's more than just the motor skills problem that has them say that I might be autistic.

I didn't talk until I was 4 years old, and even then I had to go to speech therapy to get the point where I am now where I can talk normally. I used to misprounounce alot of things though. Sometimes I still mispronounce a few words like "step" as "stup" and "bridge" as "bread-ge",but it's not anywhere near as bad as before therapy when I used to say things like van as "Dan",etc.

Sometimes I'll randomly rock my body back and forth but rarely.

I also have complusive behaviors but that may be just do to my already diagnosed OCD.

I also tend to have very limited and narrow interests, usually obsesssive over just those two or three interests at any given time. Though the interests do ocassionally change.

I'm also very socially awkward.

Other than being extremely shy though and terrified of looking people straight in the eye though and being really nervous of talking to strangers, I can function completely normally, so if I do have it, it would be very high functioning autism or asperger's. The shyness was already officially diagnosed as Social Anxiety Disorder though.

But then there are some symptoms I don't have. I've never had trouble with feeling emotions or understanding the emotions of other people or sympathizing with other people like some sites say is a main symptom of both autism and aspergers,but then I have all those other things though, which are symptoms, so I don't know.

I do go to a counselor for my OCD,Social Anxiety Disorder, and Depression,but I don't think she's able to diagnose stuff like that. She just someone to talk to and let your feeling out to, kind of like a social worker, except unlike a social worker, she's not someone people just go to temporarily,but long-term.

I've seen that topic on here. It's the one about the rabbits and using the broom stick to snap their neck. Even that kind of bothers me even if it's humane,but I would have preferred that to actually having to kill something with my bare hands. I will do it if I have to though in order to stay in the program since I really want to be in the program and just hope that it doesn't mess me up mentally.

I just don't understand why they can't give us already dead frozen birds and rats, like the frozen feeders people give to their snakes,though. They claim you have to be able to kill the animals yourself in order to feed them to carnivores,but there's the already dead and frozen prey you can buy and even specially made meat for zoo animals that has all the vitamins and stuff that the animals would normally get from intestines and stuff added into them. The Santa Fe zoo fed this special meat to their carnivores instead of making us have to kill live prey for the animals. They also had pre-euthanize and frozen food for the animals that we didn't have to kill ourselves.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Someone is still killing the animals in same or similar manner if bought prekilled. It is cheaper to raise and kill yourself.

But then there are some symptoms I don't have. I've never had trouble with feeling emotions or understanding the emotions of other people or sympathizing with other people like some sites say is a main symptom of both autism and aspergers,but then I have all those other things though, which are symptoms, so I don't know.

Do you understand the difference between empathy and sympathy? With apsergers they do feel empathy it's the difficulty of showing sympathy that is the issue and some mistake as having no empathy. Like you see someone crying and maybe don't do anything because you aren't sure of the acceptable response.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Oh also on feeling emotions Aspergers feel emotions but it's the expressing that is the problem again.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 pm

From what you're describing it sounds like Aspergers to me. Aspergers is a higher functioning form of autism, and lots of time people labelled as "autistic" actually have aspergers.

My sister has severe autism, and there's no way she could figure out how to use a forum like this despite all that we've taught her. We would have to walk her through it, and even then she wouldn't even be able to come close to typing responses like yours. She has the mental capacity of an 8 year old.

The rocking, the not being able to look someone in the eye, the ocd, and lots of the other things you mentioned are symptoms of autism, but they're also symptoms of higher-functioning autism and aspergers.

The obsessive focus on a few different interests at one time is a sign of Aspergers as well.

At any rate, I agree that you should get "tested" so you know what you're dealing with. It'll help you understand yourself better and you'll feel more in control knowing. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Someone is still killing the animals in same or similar manner if bought prekilled. It is cheaper to raise and kill yourself.

I know that,but it's not the method itself that bothers me if it's proven to be humane. It's just the fact that I'm the one that has to use the method that bothers me. Kind of like how I love to eat meat,but I could never kill an animal for meat myself, only go to the grocery and buy meat that someone else has already killed for me. Money is not a problem to me. My morals and feelings are more important to me than what's cheaper. No matter how much cheaper it is, when I get my own pets, I'm going to buy pre-killed animals because that's what I'm comfortable with and doesn't bother me.

Do you understand the difference between empathy and sympathy? With apsergers they do feel empathy it's the difficulty of showing sympathy that is the issue and some mistake as having no empathy. Like you see someone crying and maybe don't do anything because you aren't sure of the acceptable response.

I think I know the difference. Empathy is when you've gone through something yourself and you feel bad for other people going through it because you understand what they are going through. Sympathy is when you feel bad for people in situations that you've never gone through and don't know what they're like. I've felt both empathy and sympathy. I feel sorry and very sad when I see commercials of starving kids in Africa, feel the need to give money to homeless people begging on the street because I feel bad for them, and try to ask someone if they are ok when I see someone crying though sometimes it comes out awkward when I try to ask them because of my shyness and me feeling uncomfortable going up to strangers. I did ask a girl one time crying in the lady's restroom if she was ok just the other day though. She said she was fine,so I left,figuring that she didn't want to talk about it(atleast not to a stranger anyway).

@Ash:
Maybe,but some of those symptoms could be related to my already diagnosed disorders. Like social anxiety disorder for being scared to look people in the eyes(It's only strangers really that I can't look in the eye. I'm fine with family,friends, and other people I know well), OCD for getting obssessive over only a couple of interests, etc. I still would like to get testing though just to be certain whether or not I do have a problem and if so, what it is.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 pm

When they mean ripping off a pigeon's head, do they just mean breaking the bone, or ripping it completely off?? Because this whole time I thought that's what they meant.. -__-"
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Splashstorm wrote:When they mean ripping off a pigeon's head, do they just mean breaking the bone, or ripping it completely off?? Because this whole time I thought that's what they meant.. -__-"

I'm not really sure. But in the book I read about it, the lady described it as popping the head off of the pigeon.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”