PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New with animal questions! Facts and opinions welcome!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

kodacakes

New with animal questions! Facts and opinions welcome!

Postby kodacakes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Hello everyone, I've actually been a part of this forum for a bit but I've always spent my time reading and never writing anything, I figured I would change that today!

About me: I'm a 23 year old female living in Illinois, I've had most types of animals that can be kept as pets, some on the more exotic side. I was a veterinary major until supporting that educational path on my own became too much. I've worked at and volunteered at numerous animal hospitals, shelters, etc. My one dream has always been to do anything I can to work with and help animals.

Onto the questions: I currently own a jungle carpet python (Nemesis), northern blue tongue skink (Sausage), and 2 sugar gliders (5 month old sisters, unnamed). More recently I've had a lot of different reptiles and am moving away from them. Don't get me wrong, they're gorgeous and can be quite fun to watch but I'm more interested in something that can interact more readily (mammals). I've had the more "normal" pets such as rabbits, ferrets, rats, chinchillas, etc. And as you read earlier I have 2 gliders at the moment. I am constantly reading about different animals whether they be domesticated, exotic, or wild. I've done a lot of rehab work which is another way that I've owned and worked with so many different animals. My point being I've been looking for a long time for a new addition(s). I'm definitely not an impulse buyer, I've looked into everything from foxes, wolves/wolf hybrids, southern flying squirrels, skunks (I know they're illegal in Illinois if you don't have a permit), ant eaters, sloths, lemurs, pigs, marmosets, coatimundis, and the list goes on. I've looked at many pros and cons to each animal and whether or not their diet would be readily available and whether or not I'd be able to provide proper homing and enrichment for them. I ruled out coatimundis because I don't particularly care to randomly get a 6 inch gash in the muscles and seek emergency care and I do not believe in declawing or defanging an animal... I'm still interested in southern flying squirrels so I know I will get those so I'm still looking for something else. Everything I've heard about skunks and pigs is that most will quite readily destroy carpeting and paneling and tiles, etc. so I ruled out skunks and decided a pig would be for when I can take the time to do a nice shady pig proof outdoor enclosure with a separate indoor heated area. I also would not own a fox without a large enclosed outdoor area. So I guess I'm just looking for different owners/breeders/hobbyists input on different kinds, preferably animals that aren't really loners. Would I like them to be somewhat cuddly, yes. But I am very realistic in knowing that most exotics aren't and that most of it is just personality/hormones, etc so it's not really a requirement (just a dream :mrgreen: ). Lately I've been looking at opossums but it's rather disheartening to read they typically only live to be 3 years of age or so :icon-frown:

Current animal interests include: sloths, binturongs, ant eaters, opossums, southern flying squirrels, bobcats, I've heard bad things about different types of primates/monkeys but lemurs and marmosets have always been interesting! Armadillos, foxes, as I said the list goes on haha

Side note: I've greatly considered one day starting my own refuge or more likely educational program. So if anyone has hands-on experience or information about that, you've just made a new best friend! I've looked around at opportunities around me but they're aren't many and the ones that do exist are impossible to get your foot in the door icon_confused.gif but I'm not giving up hope!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New with animal questions! Facts and opinions welcome!

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Sloths and anteaters are both supper sweet but both very delicate animals. Sloths diet is easier and their illnesses tend to be less mysterious but they are less forgiving about temp and humidity than tamandua(lesser anteaters). I know a few people with house pet sloths they are pretty cool. Tamandua are more playful.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Welcome. ^^ I'm really interested in coatimundis and wolves/wolfdogs as well but have never owned any yet.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
kodacakes

Postby kodacakes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:50 pm

@caninesrock: Yeah the first time I fell for wolf hybrids was because my dad's friends have one. Her name is Sage and she is HUGE. I don't recall her percentage but she only has a tiny bit of husky in her, she's mostly wolf. They talked about some of the issues with training her though but because of all the work they did they actually got her to be quite "tame". She's a pretty big dork most of the time yet somehow still elegant. I think it'd be amazing to care for something intense like a bear or tiger but those things are more or less unrealistic.

@TamanduaGirl: I have heard those things about sloths and ant eaters and would never dream of owning one unless I could provide everything they need. I would definitely seriously consider getting an ant eater in the future but it's not something I would look into getting right now. I'm just thoroughly looking at all options and figuring out from there. I know that just because I'm interested in something doesn't mean it's best for me or them. I just want to find a good match :P
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Have you looked into the Patagonian cavies(mara)? They can be great if gotten young from a good breeder. But being rodents their main issue in the house is chewing.
kodacakes

Postby kodacakes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:47 pm

Oddly enough I was going to look into them today but didn't have time! They do look interesting, I also have a soft spot for capybaras!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 am

Sage sounds really interesting. Do you have any pics of her?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

kodacakes

Postby kodacakes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:08 pm

I found a picture of her but due to the size of the picture it will not allow me to post it :-/
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:30 pm

You could put it up on Photobucket or Tinypic and then put the link on here.

kodacakes

Postby kodacakes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Yeah I forgot my photobucket info since I haven't used it in years but I didn't realize how convenient tinypic was since I've never used it! Good call! Anyways this is Sage when she was getting a bit chubby. I love her giant nose! For size reference this is her STANDING up inside of a full size diesel pickup truck that was lifted on custom tires (in other words a large truck) and she is infront of my dad who is... like 6'2". She's pretty big. I don't know her percentage though.

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 pm

From her face,I would guess a low content. She looks mostly husky or malamute. There are others on here who are better at distinguishing between contents than I am though.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Welcome to the forums kodacakes!

I don't think you should ever rule out any animal because it might seem unrealistic at the time. Always reach for your goals, is what I tell everyone.

The animal I have my mind set on above all else is the Alaskan wolf. xD I agree with you in that wolves are just amazing creatures! Sage looks gorgeous. I second Caninesrock in that she looks to be mostly dog.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Yep, I third that. I have a low content, and she has that look about her.

Similar ear size/shape, similar eye color & shape (hard to tell the color in this picture though), similar muzzle shape. He's about 8-9 weeks old.
Last edited by sarajeku on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Sarajeku, there's Echo all grown up! >___<
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
kodacakes

Postby kodacakes » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Well I think more people would rather take their chances with a wolf than a bear or tiger haha

Return to “INTRODUCTION”