PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Prospective Pet Owner with questions and whatnot.

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

raynstrom

Prospective Pet Owner with questions and whatnot.

Postby raynstrom » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Hello, my name is Ryan, and I stumbled upon this board whilst doing research on keeping foxes as pets and thought I should introduce myself and pick at your minds if you'll have me.
A little bit about me to start with.
I am currently a senior in high school working towards moving out of my house. My current plan is to rent an apartment with either a friend or my cousin while I am in the process of saving up money for and working on converting a bus into a sort of mobile home. Once the bus is completed I will be hopefully finding a small but of property to park it on as a home base so to speak. Although I am hoping to travel a bit. I am a musician, and I compose and produce all sorts of music from orchestral to electronic and I am hoping to eventually have some sort of career music, but until then I'll likely be doing some form or another of retail or physical labour.
I have always been an animal lover and am hoping that once I'm out of school I'd be able to volunteer with shelters and whatnot.
Once I have my bus and am out of an apartment I would like to look into getting a pet fox, but due to the fact I will be in a rather unconventional home I am wary about getting a fox.
Thus, my questions.
I am wondering if it is plausible to have a mostly indoors fox in a relatively small house. If, by some chance, that is plausible, which species of fox would be the most suited to it/the most versatile?
The fox would have full access to all parts of the bus, as it will be designed as do proof as possible.

This all being said, the creatures health, happiness, and general well being is my top priority. Thus if it's simply not plausible I will postpone until I have some sort of property that I can plant a foxy little home.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I am looking forward to hearing from y'all!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prospective Pet Owner with questions and whatnot.

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:34 pm

No. The only one that might be suitable would be the fennec but I had to live in a bus briefly and I don't think an animal that hyper would be too happy in such a small space all the time.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Definitely not a red or arctic. They need large outdoor enclosures.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
raynstrom

Postby raynstrom » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks y'all for the quick responses! So Red and Arctic are out of the question and I am guessing so are Greys and Corsacs. So a Fennec could possibly work... Tamandua, you mentioned a Fennec might be too high strung for the small space, could you elaborate?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:12 pm

It may wind up being more you than the fennec that is unhappy but if you tr to save your sanity by caging the fennec a lot or trying to discipline then the fennec for sure wont be happy.

They do not litter train so you will have it pooping and peeing all over your living space. They can do a lot of damage by digging and they can jump up on things and knock stuff down and they will chew on anything rubber. They are very hyper and fast so you can't really prevent such behavior. Running supper fast, jumping around, stealing things, screaming.

If you were to give a fennec a room with the same space as a bus that might be okay but you will have to fill the bus with a lot of stuff for your living that the fennec can't use as space and you will be sharing that space. Once you make a bus livable the space becomes very limited.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm

PS you need to reconsider traveling. Many states wont even let you drive through with a fox. You will always have to call each state you might drive through to ask what will be required to travel through or to visit it with your fox.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:28 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:PS you need to reconsider traveling. Many states wont even let you drive through with a fox. You will always have to call each state you might drive through to ask what will be required to travel through or to visit it with your fox.

That's right. Kentucky won't let you even drive through with a fox due to a rabies law. If you get caught and you don't have a temporary transport permit (which is hard to get for foxes, coyotes and other rabies vector species) then your fox will get confiscated and tested for rabies, which involves putting your fox to sleep and cutting off its head.
raynstrom

Postby raynstrom » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

So, from the looks of things, I should wait until I have property for getting a fox.
Many thanks to all of you for the advice and information!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Sounds best. Once you have land swift or gray might be the best choices. They would still benefit from an enclosure to blow off steam in but are less destructive inside and are said to be less smelly than reds and arctics.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”