ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello, this be Winchester! (marble fox)

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Mr.Winchester

Hello, this be Winchester! (marble fox)

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:08 am

Hello all! I found this website looking up pet foxes, and it seems like an invaluable source of everything a fox owner could need..except for steaks and cat chow. hehe..I'd like to introduce Winchester, he's a 6 month old marble fox. He was born April 9th, 2012, the day my boyfriend and I first hung out (I am convinced Winchester is the son of our spirits coming together for this reason, don't laugh!) One month later I contacted a breeder I found on exoticanimalsforsale.net, and we took a roadtrip to New York to get him. He now lives with my boyfriend and I and my jack russell Leipchien in a penthouse apartment. I grew up in the countryside, but am living in a city temporarily for Art School. I'm a senior this year, majoring in Ceramics. Everything I make now is fox art, but foxes have been a common subject for my art since I was using crayons as a child.
It's tricky managing a pet fox in an apartment situation, but in the spring we are going to build him a nice big enclosure in my hometown, with a view of the ocean and his own section of forest.
Foxes have always lived in abundance where I come from, so Winchester may even make some friends. Right now my dog is his playmate, and my living room is his "pen". We shut him in there at night because he likes to stay up all night playing with every toy in his toy box and shaking the rugs to death.
My dog sleeps in the bed with us though, and when we're gone during the day she stays shut in the bedroom and the fox in the living room because they have gotten into scuffles in the past when left unsupervised. Winchester pretty much sleeps under, on, or around the couch all day until I come home from school or my boyfriend comes from work. Then it's all fluffy wiggles and sobs of joy...and getting the paper towels to clean up his happiness. (At least happy fox pee isn't as stanky as scared fox pee. Who can tell me why they make that horrid smell when they're startled/frightened?)
I have gotten good at fox-proofing because I don't have the heart to lock him in the dog kennel since I think one of his fangs broke in half while he was trying to escape. I'd say he uses the litter box 75% of the time. Once he peed in my boyfriend's coffee when he wasn't looking, but thankfully I saw it and alerted him to Winchester's prank.
He's a very affectionate fox to those he knows. He'll wag his tail and come sit next to you, he always submits to new dogs he meets, and the only time he shows aggression is when there is raw meat around, though not nearly as bad as when we first got him. He likes to dance with me and chase me around, give me kisses and eat my clothes, hump blankets and sit on the dog's head to annoy her. He'll let me pick him up because I give him good neck and ear massages, but he doesn't like to be overly man-handled.
All in all we have a pretty good understanding of each other by now, and we've only had him half a year. My dog is 4 and I have trained her over 20 commands, and Winchester looks up to her example so I'm sure he can be trained at least a trick or two..
Well, that is my proud-parent ramble, thanks for tolerating it! :)
Mr.Winchester

Re: Hello, this be Winchester! (marble fox)

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:16 am

Image2 months old
Image4 months old
Image6 months old
Mr.Winchester

Baby Pics

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:29 am

ImageThe night we got home with him!
Mr.Winchester

Funny Faces

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 am

ImageI'd say his jaw has gotten an inch longer with each month that's gone by.
ImageSome recent fox art. 12" diameter, white clay and black underglaze.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:37 am

Awww he's adorable! Red marbles are one of my favorite morphs. Don't worry about proud -parent rambling. There's 4 pages of mine under the domestic/exotic dog hybrid forum. :)

I'm curious though: Your landlord didn't have any concerns about you keeping him in your apartment? How the heck did you talk him/her into it?!?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Mr.Winchester

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:57 am

I was just drooling over Echo's photos, too cute! I love the color of his fur and eyes, and his dad looks like a handsome fluffy fella. I almost bought an arctic wolf cub (like a dangerous 98% pure 180 lbs full grown thing)from vermont, but then I watched that movie "The Grey" and had second thoughts.

To answer your question about the apartment situation, I lucked out because my boyfriend owns the apartment building. He owns 30% of his dad's real estate company, so as a result we're the only tenants allowed to have more than a cat. =]
w0lfygirl

Postby w0lfygirl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:50 am

:piggy: He's just too cute! Red marbles and georgian's are absolutely adorable!
I love his little bandanna too!

It's not weird to think that about his birthday! It's cute and very understandable! I do that with a lot of things when it comes to relationships.. so many things are "signs" to me, or at least they were in my past relationships. This ones just practically pandora's box :roll:

Keep them pictures comin!
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
Mr.Winchester

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Winchester was born April 9th, the first day we hung out, and then we started officially dating the next day, the 10th which is my boyfriend's birthday. We're going to have joint birthday celebrations for them next year =D The color of the markings on his face I think make him look like he's related to my dog Leipchien. "Leipchien" means "sweetheart" or little darling" in German, but I tweaked the spelling because "chien" is dog in french so it could also translate to "Love-Dog"
(Lieb is love). She's totally a love dog because she was born on Valentine's day.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Adorable fox and dog. I love jack russells and like foxes. Also, don't believe The Grey. That's a movie filled with anti-wolf propaganda. Wolves aren't really vicious like that. I remember there was alot of protest and outcry from pro-wolf groups and wolf sanctuaries and conservationists when that movie was released because of its severe misrepresentation of wolves which at tlhe time were and still are a very misunderstood and often unfairly hated and feared animal.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Mr.Winchester

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Oh I adore wolves, but they're way too big to have in an apartment. I agree that there is an extremely unfair stereotype of wolves, but I admit that I have been so blinded by their beauty that I forgot how dangerous they can be too. A wolf-dog hybrid raised by humans is one thing, but a starving pack of arctic wolves would probably kill some strangers walking into their den and threatening their territory. I'd surmise to say wolves don't kill without reason, so keep them well fed and it should be all good :P. I've wanted a wolf dog ever since I saw Balto when I was 8, but I don't have the space for one yet. A fox is enough for now.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:00 pm

I wasn't suggesting that you should have a wolf in an apartment. That would be an extremely bad idea for you and the wolf,but you didn't mention that as a reason why you decided against a wolf in your previous post. You said you changed your mind after seeing The Grey.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:02 am

A high content wolfdog is a bad idea in an apartment, but if you were able to go look at it and change your mind, it most likely wasn't high content (another red flag that tells me that it wasn't high content is that you call it 98% over HC).. Breeders with high quality high content wolfdogs usually have a waiting list that starts the summer after the puppies leave for their new homes. The puppies cost anywhere from $1500 to $3500. Arctics being on the higher end. A back yard breeder with a few wolfy looking (MAYBE mids) wolfdogs that he misrepresents as "98%." If it would have cost you any less than 1k, then the wolfdog was definitely no high. Highs also aren't 180 lbs full grown. They're tall and leggy like a supermodel, but even though Wolf Crossing uses the largest subspecies, (see this this guy for example) his wolfdogs are still closer to 130. Cindy would know better. And yeah.. dangerous. :roll:

And thank you! Echo is amazing. Yesterday, I saw his parents (and grandfather on his mother's side) and he's going to be beautiful! I wish I had taken pictures.

Okay, you mentioned They Grey, and that means you've opened up a giant can of worms.
The Grey is SO bad. I couldn't get through the first half of that movie without throwing things at the screen and yelling at my friends about how stupid it was. Those wolves had to have been pumped with some kind of growth hormone. Or mixed with moose or something. Wolves are tall and sleek, but no heavier than a german shepherd. Definitely not that bulky. If humans are in a wild wolf's territory, starving or not, unless they're all rabid, they won't attack and kill those humans. They'll leave rather than attack. Wolves are shy, and when people are around, they prefer flight over fight. We have guns and they don't. We win.

Even when a higher up staff member at the refuge I work at didn't feed the big pack over a long weekend that I was off (no one else was there but him.. he was subsequently fired. It was his responsibility and I shouldn't have found them in that state 4 days later) and I had to hose them with a fire hose to keep them from fighting each other over their food, never once did they threaten me. (this pack includes 2 HCs, 1 mid that I've never gotten close enough to touch because she's wild, 1 mid that lives for food, 2 mid-highs, and a random coydog). That big pack? They're in the back of the refuge in an enormous enclosure with a perimeter fence for a reason. So people can't see them or get at them when . Both HCs came to the refuge too old for us to socialize them with people and strangers, so they are very shy, and the wild mid was brought in from a terrible abuse situation.

I spend all of my free time around wolves and wolfdogs, working with them, studying them and training them and I hate The Grey. It reinforces the negative image of the "big bad wolf" and when Echo is out in public I can't tell anyone what he is. I have to tell people he's a husky or husky/mal mix, or husky/shepherd mix. If I say he's a wolfdog, I get "ooohhhh be careful. He'll turn on you when he grows up. Make sure he never tastes blood." Or, the most annoying "wolfdogs are confused animals. You're cruel for keeping him. The wolf and dog in him is battling and he doesn't know whether to be tame or wild." No. He's tame.

I'm not done ranting, but I'll stop now before I hijack your thread and I don't wanna do that. Image
Mr.Winchester

Postby Mr.Winchester » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:33 am

I'm sorry I mentioned the Grey, it was sort of a joke. I was just saying in my second post that it was a healthy reminder to have respect of their power, not irrational fear. The biggest reason I decided not to get a wolf yet, particularly an arctic one, is because I'm sure they prefer the cold and I want to move somewhere with a tropical climate soon, like Florida. They were asking $2000 for each cub, and I found them on exoticanimalsforsale.net but don't remember the details, it was back in June they were ready but that's when I got my fox baby instead. My friend told me that foxes will "turn on you' like wolves supposedly do, but I don't believe that. Even if Winchester did try to eat me I'd love him anyway <3
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Oohh awesome! I wish I had seen the ad to drool over it. :mrgreen: I'm happy with Echo though. I live in an apartment, and I couldn't deal with an HC in a 2 bedroom apartment. A low-mid is the highest I can deal with in my apartment.

Yeah, people will believe anything they hear.
I had someone ask me what I feed Totem (my other baby boy, the coyote) because they thought coyotes only eat things that are still alive but dying slowly and painfully, so how could I possibly have him living happily in captivity? His thread is here. They also tell me he'll turn on me too. They say he'll turn wild at various ages, but now at 2 years old, they have to go older and older and it's just like "uh... you're just pulling stuff out of your rear end now." :yak:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Wolves/wolfdogs are amazing! :) I can't wait to move to the woods (and possibly the UK -__-) so I can give it all the room it needs.

For foxes, my favorites have always been reds and arctics. =) And why would foxes "turn" on you? They don't even live in packs, and that pack mentality is what makes most people think wolves will turn on their people.

And I have never heard of that coyote food myth. Wow, they really think that lowly of coyotes? O_o" Urgh.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “INTRODUCTION”