PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Tyrosinase

Hello!

Postby Tyrosinase » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi there, lovely folks!

I'm a 29 year old gal from Iowa with an interest in foxes and coyotes. I grew up with wolves (the real thing, not wolfdogs). My parents raised them and participated in educational programs for the state. Way back in the day before there were any laws regarding exotics (we were grandfathered in when the laws were passed). The local DNR also frequently brought us injured and orphaned wildlife to raise.. no permit needed for that back then, either! We had a dear little raccoon fellow who stayed with us and lived to a ripe old age; we also fostered a pair of baby skunks, an adult Great Horned Owl, and a whitetail fawn, amongst an assortment of other critters.

The last two remaining wolves from our program passed away 4 years ago. They were a closely bonded pair of sisters who were 13 years old. I miss them dearly, but do not have any plans of owning wolves again in the near future.

I currently raise working Siberian Huskies and compete in dog sled races across the northern Midwest and out west in Colorado and Wyoming. I also have a Border Collie, 5 domestic cats, and a large flock of chickens.

I've only recently started checking in to what the current laws and licensing regulations are now, and started delving into a bit of research on foxes. So this seemed like a wonderful place to join up and gather more information! I'm looking forward to learning tons from you folks!

Edit: Oh! I suppose I should include a few pictures of my current kids, huh? :)

My team in training;

The lovely Kiva, out of my last litter;

And my current babies :)
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Hello!

Postby sarajeku » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Welcome!
You have beautiful dogs! I've been wanting to get into bikejoring with Echo, but he's just 4 months old, and still just getting used to a harness. No pulling for him yet. Except when we walk. He'll walk me. All the way home. :lol:

I notice none of your pictures have any snow. How do you train? Bikejoring, skijoring, scooters, or carts? Something else?
Tyrosinase

Postby Tyrosinase » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:19 am

Thanks so much!

There is no snow in these pictures because they're all fairly recent.. taken within the last week or so, and we haven't had snow yet. We start training/conditioning in September and all our training is done with a heavy cart/ATV until we have snow. Then we can switch to sleds. I always like to have a fair amount of conditioning training done, and a good amount of "miles" on the dogs before we switch to sleds.. because you have more control with the cart/ATV to correct problems and work on any extra training needed. By the time we switch to sleds the dogs should all be pretty much bombproof with their commands and ready to do 10-20+ mile runs.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 am

Welcome to the forum.

One of my favorite breeds is huskies, besides wolfdogs
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Welcome. Your life sounds so cool. I wish I could have grown up with wolves and a raccoon. And could race huskies. There's no snow here where I live. Your dogs are beautiful. I love coyotes,wolves, and foxes too. I'm just curious. Why don't you want more wolves?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Tyrosinase

Postby Tyrosinase » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks! I consider myself very lucky.. my parents got their first wolf when I was about 4 or 5, so I literally have had them in my life since as far back as I can remember.

I guess its not so much that I don't want to own them again (it really is still weird for me to not have them in my life, even though it has been several years), but that I want to embrace the opportunity to explore other avenues and species. It also seems like, from an outsiders point of view, that the wolf and wolfdog community has become rather hostile.. I've been out of the loop for a LONG time and all the old, wise folks we knew back then are long gone. I think if I found and met the right breeder(s) my opinion on owning again could change quite quickly. I would probably be more interested in adopting older animals that are retiring from someone's breeding program, or who have lost their homes for other reasons. I really love the old guys and gals. So much personality and spirit.

My wolf enclosures are still up and intact.. though a few are used by the huskies now. So maybe someday I'll host a little wolfy retirement home.. you never know! :)

But I really would like to experience and interact with some other species. This is kind of my first step back into the exotic ownership community.. so I'm just starting to branch out and look for new contacts and friends.
Elina

Postby Elina » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Hello and welcome!

My very 1st dog was a Siberian Husky but he was from show, not working lines. They are the most wonderful dogs! I currently have (among other animals) an Alaskan Klee Kai which is quite interesting after having a full sized Siberian husky. :lol:

I always find it interesting how slender the working lines of husky are as when I was a child I always thought they would be more heavy set. Either way they are beautiful!

If you are interested in foxes having had huskies you will be well prepared if the working lines are as. . . shall we say 'difficult' to train as the show lines. I really think my husky sort of trained me for my foxes in a way.

I look forward to hearing all about your huskies and future pets!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Welcome!

It sounds like you've had a very interesting life. That would have been such a neat opportunity growing up with wolves.

I think it's really cool that you train your huskies to be sled dogs. That's really neat. It must take a lot of work.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Welcome to the forums! That's so cool that you grew up with wolves. I'm so jealous. xD Your huskies look so amazing. :) Are all working line Sibes considered Seppallas? Your dogs sure look like Seppalla Siberian sleddogs. Are you looking into getting a coyote too?
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
Tyrosinase

Postby Tyrosinase » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks again!

Yes, the working lines are just as much a handful as the show lines, if not moreso because they are a bit higher drive. They are definitely a lot of work. Worth it though! :)

All working lines are not considered Seppalas. None of my dogs are "Seppalas", they are all AKC registered purebreds. I actually don't have much nice to say about the lines that most folks refer to as Seppalas.. a lot of backyard breeding and health problems, crossing with Alaskan Huskies and not admitting to it, purposefully breeding dogs with genetic issues, ect ect. I'm not a fan of that strain at all.

My bloodlines are a careful mix of show and working line dogs; we strive to breed a dog that fits the AKC standard and still looks like a "Siberian Husky" while still being able to compete on a very high level. There is actually a rising number of "working line" Siberians competing in the show ring, these days! I think this is excellent, as the breed club strives to help educate judges on proper interpretations of the standard.

I would love to have a coyote someday as well! I haven't had much luck researching breeders of coyotes so far.. though I've found an individual nearby that breeds foxes, so I am hoping to have a dialog with him and see about viewing his animals and getting some first hand information!
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:47 pm

I guess its not so much that I don't want to own them again (it really is still weird for me to not have them in my life, even though it has been several years), but that I want to embrace the opportunity to explore other avenues and species.

That makes sense I guess.

It also seems like, from an outsiders point of view, that the wolf and wolfdog community has become rather hostile.

Really? How so?

I would probably be more interested in adopting older animals that are retiring from someone's breeding program, or who have lost their homes for other reasons. I really love the old guys and gals. So much personality and spirit.

My wolf enclosures are still up and intact.. though a few are used by the huskies now. So maybe someday I'll host a little wolfy retirement home.. you never know! :)

That'd be cool. Like a wolf sanctuary. I volunteered for a wolf sanctuary one summer while in high school,but I didn't get actually get to interact with the wolves because I wasn't 18 at the time.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Tyrosinase wrote:I actually don't have much nice to say about the lines that most folks refer to as Seppalas.. a lot of backyard breeding and health problems, crossing with Alaskan Huskies and not admitting to it, purposefully breeding dogs with genetic issues, ect ect. I'm not a fan of that strain at all.

My bloodlines are a careful mix of show and working line dogs; we strive to breed a dog that fits the AKC standard and still looks like a "Siberian Husky" while still being able to compete on a very high level. There is actually a rising number of "working line" Siberians competing in the show ring, these days! I think this is excellent, as the breed club strives to help educate judges on proper interpretations of the standard.

I would love to have a coyote someday as well! I haven't had much luck researching breeders of coyotes so far.. though I've found an individual nearby that breeds foxes, so I am hoping to have a dialog with him and see about viewing his animals and getting some first hand information!

Wow, I had no idea all that was going on with Seppallas. O_o That's rather sad.

On a brighter note, I'm so glad working line Siberians are able to compete in the show ring! If only that were true for every other dog breed!

I'm sure if you ask around you can find someone breeding coyotes. Perhaps someone on this board knows of someone... Anyway, good luck with whatever next animal you get. :)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:56 am

I think Hillview Exotics breeds coyotes. There used to be info about coyotes on Tiny Tracks nursey page,but it isn't up anymore so I don't know if they still breed them or not. Keystone Exotics was supposed to be breeding eastern coyotes according to their website,but ended up with 2 females and no male so I don't know if and when they are going to get a male to breed them.

Your huskies are beautiful. Where does one find a breeder of the working style Siberian Huskies? I've only been able to find the show style husky breeders, breeders of a different more foxy-looking breed called an Alaskan Husky, and the Seppala Sled Dog breeders.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Mandy Markley (dinnka on here) said she knows someone who breeds them. You may want to ask who she knows.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Talys

Postby Talys » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey there! I'm actually just beginning to start researching into bikejoring and dog sledding. Your lady Kiva is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful and gorgeous!!!
~Oreo and Snickerdoodle (cats) & Smaug and Istari (Betta splendens)~

Return to “INTRODUCTION”