PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

Re: Hello!

Postby caninesrock » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 pm

That's ashame that there's no much scandal in the Seppala lines. :/ Especially since Seppala Kennels is the line that Balto and Togo came out of. Are Seppala Sled Dogs atleast really related to Leonard Seppala's dogs?
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Balto? As in, THE Balto? XD
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Splashstorm wrote:Balto? As in, THE Balto? XD

Yep. The one the movie was based on. But in real-life, he wasn't a wolfdog. He was a husky. He was bred by Leonard Seppala who had him neutered and sold him because he didn't think Balto was a good sled dog. Gunnaar Kaasen(sp?) ended up buying him and using him as his lead dog in the Great Serum Run to deliver the medicine to the sick children of Nome who had diptheria. Many sled teams made the journey to deliver the medicine, taking turns. Balto and his team were the last team in rotation and the one that actuallly delivered the medicine. Togo,another dog bred by Seppala, was the leader of Seppala's team who also took part in the Run. Togo and his team were the team that traveled the longest distance to carry the medicine. Seppala was jealous of Balto and Gunnaar because they got all the credit for delivering the medicine but him and Togo were the ones that carried the medicine the longest distance. Balto isn't related to any modern dogs because he was neutred sadly. However, I think I remember reading that some of the modern huskies descended from Togo.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Whoa, that's really interesting stuff. I agree that the dog that carried the medicine longest should've been credited. Too bad.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage

Return to “INTRODUCTION”