ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lupercus

Hello!

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:03 am

Greetings,

I am new to this board and come in search of information.

Most of my background has been in raising and living with domestic wolves in Idaho. If you have been following the news the last couple years you will no doubt know that has made me an unpopular guy around here. I am also a tradition blacksmith so between hammering dents out of armor I have swallowed my pride and shod the odd hoofer here and there.

This spring I will will finally get an opportunity to work closely with a domestic fox. This has been been something I have wanted to do for about 8 years. Unfortunately very early in my research I found that the private ownership of foxes is essentially banned in this state. Finally after a great deal of research and effort, that I'd just as soon not get into, I may legally posses one.

I now find myself feeling like a newb all over again, and as such I've been trying to locate every veterinary and scholarly article I can find on the subject from reputable sources. So far my results have been limited but I'd be happy to share what I've got.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Re: Hello!

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:07 am

Welcome to the forum.
Would love to see pictures of you're wolves
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 am

So far the only pic I have up is my profile avatar. It is a scaled down from a high res old puppy pic taken by a Fish & Game officer. Apparently I'm the first private owner to ever follow the rules, it honestly confused them.

He is the only one I personally own. Blue, is good beast. In his adult coat he developed some scattered white markings on his face that cause a lot of folks to mistake him for a malamute. It's a mixed blessing but it helps in an area where the reintroduction of wolves to the wild has really upset people. He fathered a litter last year to a GSD so I have heap of puppy pics but I don't expect him to have a second litter. I will see about posting some more.

The others I've worked with were at educational center and a domestic & wildlife rehab facility that I used to work extensively with, now I only trim hooves there once a month. I don't have any images from there.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Hello!

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 am

Just a few questions: I don't mean to come off rude, so please don't take it personally if I do. It's been a long night with a very sick Wolfdog pup.

If you have plenty of puppy pictures, I'm curious why you can't just take a few new pictures of your wolf to show as well?
Too, I'm sure that scaled down copy isn't the only copy of that picture you have on your hard drive. You could post a larger version of it to somewhere like photobucket, tinypic, etc.

Another question: is this a full wolf we're talking about? What permits did you need? If you are licensed to own them, why only one wolf? (I'd personally have at least 2 or 3)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:11 am

No offense taken, I prefer blunt communication it take the guess work out of the process. I just haven't figured out how to post pictures on this forum yet, and since it is 5 AM I probably should have gone to bed 5 hours ago. But I'll see if I can figure it out in my next post.

In Idaho it is a annual $5 captive wolf permit for any "wolf, dog, or wolf like dog" that meets a long list of appearance and behavioral requirements and not blood or lineage. It should be noted that many wild wolves in the state do not actually meet the state's legal definition of a wolf. Fish & Game ruled that I would not require a permit because his fur was not course enough.

Blue is not a pure wolf. If I did the math right he gets about 20% husky from his mother. The most notable morphological sign of domestic ancestry is that his tail will curl forward past vertical when he is exceptionally excited about something, but it is normally held straight an wolf like. Second of course is the facial markings.
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:26 am

Alright Lets see if this one takes... It isn't a very good image but it is up the adult Blue and the GSD. She has since gone to a good home. After the pups were born she was abandoned to my care. She was a sweet heart bad had severe issues due to the prior owner. I am very thankful I was finally able to find a family that could take good care of her.

Edit: Image fixed. I will look into hosting images somewhere and linking them tomorrow. Resizing ever image individually will take fare to long and reduce the quality. I hadn't intended to be posting them originally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:28 am

Oh he's beautiful! Did you meet his father as well? From the looks of him, he might have been a mal if the mother contributed a bit wolf content. He is absolutely beautiful! My wolfdog puppy is low wolf content, but he changes by the day.

This is my low content wolfdog:
_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vkkoWsUwhrE

_

He's 18 weeks old today. He changes by the day. Looking more and more "wolfy" but he has very little actual wolf in him.

What kind of issues did the german shepherd have? Abuse/fear issues?
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:27 pm

D'aww, he's a cute pup you have there :).

Blue's father looked about as wolfy as wolf could be as opposed to his mother. His dad was tall with long lanky legs, stereotypical grey wolf coloring especially in the face and ears, straight tail and leary of outsiders.

Blue was one of the two fluffy pups in the litter. The other's were fun and playful and came up to chew on my shorts. But Blue sat in the corner, all chill and studied me. It's was that moment I realized I found my best friend. Unfortunately my ex wasn't as prepared for the commitment... he just when to sleep on my foot, I think he's trying to tell me something. I'm still amazed how much he changed each week of his first year.

The German Shepard was "garden ornamentation" for a lady that seemed a bit off to me and knew very little about dogs. The lady had a away wining garden praised annually by the news paper as best in town. She however was not allowed to be a dog and would get in trouble for anything that disrupted her garden. The lady claimed she had dominance issues, but from my observations she was about the most submissive dog I seen her size. She was very flighty and prone to panic peeing. She freaked out and cut up Blue's muzzle the night she arrived. She wasn't house broken as much as being on a scheduled, if you let he out at the right times she was fine but she had no idea how to communicated that she needed out or anything other than affection. She somehow smothered two of her pups before she was given to me. I think weening was harder on her than it was the pups. II think I could have worked with her helped her by giving her some stability, but I could not handle juggling 6 adventurous giant pups and her at the same time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Echo seems to be changing by the day too! One minute, he looks like a dog, the next, he's a tiny wolf. (well, not so tiny anymore)
Blue is gorgeous. That last picture does him way more justice than the others.

It's sad how some people treat their animals as lawn ornaments and keep them chained up. Did she give the dog no attention at all?

I tend to only tell people I know, or people I know are supportive of wolfdogs, that Echo is a wolfdog. Since he easily passes for a dog at the moment, I would much rather people not scream in my face about how cruel I am for owning a wolfdog, or how he'll turn on me.

Echo had the shortest coat in his litter. I work with a wolfdog rescue, and we rescued 8 puppies from a woman living in a van with 13 wolfdogs. We also rescued both of his parents, and his grandparents. His family looks very wolfy (except his mother, who is about 80% husky), but he got the "doggy" look (as of now), but he changes by the day and looks more and more "wolfy" by the day. The rest of his litter had long, fluffy coats. I don't know what I'd do without him though. I adore him.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Are you saying he's a 80%, beings you said he only has 20% husky in him? That would make him a high content which he definately isn't. Looking at the picture you shared he's a low content, there's nothing wolfie about him in the pic. Somewhere along the line someone misrepresented the parents to you.
A high content is going to be almost indistinguishable from a pure. You're guy is small, has small feet, wide chest, markings and mask of a husky, white tipped tail. I can see pink in the ears and everything that is all doggie.
For ex. here is my two highs

Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 pm

All but one of the pictures I've posted of him are of him as a pup, he is much larger now (he stands about 5' on his hind legs and can take things off my fridge if he wants them) and weighs in the 100# range, just light enough I can pick him up for short periods. These two videos were taken in March as an adult with his winter coat in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmvR_cW1BXQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_QndLgYHQ0

I would not be surprised if some of his background were misrepresented to some degree. He does show a number of morphological associated with domestication. His behavior and psychology falls more on the wolf-like end of the spectrum ("Why? What's in if for me?"). Also he has displayed above average intelligence has been known to build things and solve problems on his own accord. He communicates mostly gesturally.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm

He's very pretty but he's definately mostly dog
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:38 pm

Lupercus wrote:His behavior and psychology falls more on the wolf-like end of the spectrum ("Why? What's in if for me?"). Also he has displayed above average intelligence has been known to build things and solve problems on his own accord. He communicates mostly gesturally.

That doesn't necessarily indicate wolf traits. I'm not saying it doesn't, but other breeds show the same trait as well. For example: My collie dog won't do anything without looking at me like "what's in it for me? You're insane if you think I'm doing that without food." She also has above average intelligence, and not only does she understand when I communicate with her, she is also able to communicate with me.

I love low content wolf dogs. They make amazing pets. I'm sorry your breeder misrepresented his dogs.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Lupercus

Postby Lupercus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Admittedly so, and within any population there will be individuals that show unique or unusual traits. Blue is a terrible pet, an okay roommate, and the best friend I could ever ask for. I think he is over his destructive stage so I should finally replace the kitchen floor he removed. The carpet is a total loss about 2/3 of the house has good hardwood flooring underneath it so it wont be all bad.

The GSD received a little attention from the lady's three daughters, mostly in the evening I think. They of course mimicked their mother's attitude about the dog. I don't regret giving that dog a better home but I still feel disgusted with my self for having to deal with her before that.
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Your dog looks mostly malamute if not all malamute to me. Sorry.
He's still a gorgeous dog though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule

Return to “INTRODUCTION”