ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello from Ontario -I keep kinkajous and opossums

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

kitaluna

Hello from Ontario -I keep kinkajous and opossums

Postby kitaluna » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm

First of all, I am amazed at the work it must take to keep this forum free of spam and judgmental crazies. It is really well moderated and has so much great info. Thanks for all the great work.

I am an ex-zookeeper that now makes a living in the real world:( I miss it but have kept busy for the last 12 years fostering zoo babies for various breeders and institutions and giving them back when they get big. I have just starting breeding some exotics of my own now that my daughter is 8 and able to interact more safely with adult critters around.

My two domestic skunks died two years ago at 12 years old. One from an accident and the other from loneliness and stress after her companion's accident. When I was ready to commit to long-term animals again, I chose kinkajous. I now have an unrelated pair who are just reaching 7 months old. There are amazing so far! I didn't think I would ever find a better fit for me than skunks but I think they might be.

I am also having an amazing time raising short-tailed opossums. They are easy keepers and very gentle and are selling as fast as I can produce them. They keep my other animals in food and toys without draining my budget too much. I hope my four-eyed opossum pair will breed in the spring if the female is not older than I was led to believe. Fingers crossed. I hope that the hand-raised babies will make good education animals. They are fascinating creatures. I have a particular love of things with pouches.
I look forward to sharing some ideas and info with you all.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Ontario -I keep kinkajous and opossums

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Welcome.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Welcome to the forum
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Welcome to the forum! icon-smile
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:48 pm

PS i like anything with a pouch too.
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Sorry about your skunks, especially the 2nd one. :( Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi Kitaluna,

I'm curious, how did you get the opossums? and do you need a licence?

According to the Fish and Wildlife Conservation act, opossums are fur-bearing animals and so can only be kept with a permit/permission from the minister.

I'm not trying to sound accusatory or anything, just wondering if I've misinterpreted the law or if you were grandfathered in or something.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:52 pm

veralidaine wrote:Hi Kitaluna,

I'm curious, how did you get the opossums? and do you need a licence?

According to the Fish and Wildlife Conservation act, opossums are fur-bearing animals and so can only be kept with a permit/permission from the minister.

I'm not trying to sound accusatory or anything, just wondering if I've misinterpreted the law or if you were grandfathered in or something.

I just looked Virginia opossums are banned as furbearers not all species with possum in the name, just Didelphis virginiana

These are exotic possums. They would never be used for fur they are rat sized at largest.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

oh ok. Unfortunately, they just say 'opossum' in the common name slot so I guess you have to know your latin names.
kitaluna

Postby kitaluna » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

I should be more specific. I keep grey four-eyed opossums ((Philander opossum) and Brazilian short-tailed opossumsMonodelphis domestica.
I am looking forward to working with Virginia opossums under my animal custodian license if I ever get around to setting up my outdoor release pens at my new house. I got my license in October 2012 and decided to move in February 2012 and haven't had the energy, time or extra cash to built any outdoor cages yet at my new place. I am having too much fun with the exotics but I am sure I will yearn for my foster baby fix come spring:)
EmilyGrace

Postby EmilyGrace » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 am

Hey kitaluna, welcome.
How did you get into your line of work, and what education was required? I would love to do something like that.
keepsmiling

Postby keepsmiling » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:31 am

Fascinating...hello, I always wanted a kinkajou as a kid. icon-smile
Resendes98

Postby Resendes98 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:59 am

So you breed kinkajous? Iv been looking for one in southern ontario for a while. Can you email me at mini-resendes@hotmail.com

Return to “INTRODUCTION”