PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello from the cold north

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nìmwey

Hello from the cold north

Postby Nìmwey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm Swedish, and will be 22 years old this year. I have no job and no finished education as it is now, but I want to become a professional actress (my second choice of occupation would be to work with endangered animals).

I've lived around animals all my life, mainly "ordinary" animals - grew up around a housecat, Shetland sheepdog, my mother's budgies, and me and my two older siblings started keeping hamsters when I was around eight. Then we had aquariums, guinea pigs (had two litters from the guinea pigs - the hamsters had six litters, all planned, and over the years we had a total of ~46 Syrian hamsters), a couple of rabbits, then when I was eleven, I got into birds.

We had a home-bred, lone budgie left, her parents dead. No one really cared, she was not tame, never got out of her cage, and mostly just made noise. But during fall 2002 I decided to try to make her tame, as I was the only one who wanted to take care of her. I was terrified of her little beak and claws :roll:, so I used black gloves while handling her, but despite that, and my complete newbie-ness regarding birds, she got tame within weeks, and her last few months in life (she was six), she got to have a blast, flying around, following me around the house, harassing the dog (pulling her sheltie-beard, the dog was thankfully very tolerant :p) - then she died late fall 2002, probably from her long term poor care, as with many budgies in captivity. It was our ignorance and nothing else. icon-sad

That winter, I got two cockatiels and one lovebird from petshops, still very ignorant regarding birds.
The first cockatiel (I got the second one as company, as the lovebird - naturally - turned out to be very poor cockatiel-company) couldn't fly, he fell from his perch and broke his back after a few months. The lovebird drowned in her aquarium the one time I forgot to cover it, within the same week. icon-sad This all sounds HORRIBLE, but I was barely twelve years old, and there's nothing that can be done about it now, sadly.

In October that year (2003), I got my Meyer's Parrot, Saga, who's still with me.
From 2005-2009, I had one cornsnake, two Colombian rainbow boas, and one redtail boa. Sadly, I can't keep snakes as it is now, as I have an unstable lifestyle and having more cage-animals of any kind is not practical.

I've also had two Sulphur-crested Cockatoos (Yondo, a Cacatua galerita eleonora, hatched 2006, and Egon, a Cacatua sulphurea sulphurea, hatched 1992), but gave them away to one of Sweden's greatest animal experts (so they really are in good hands) in 2010, as they became way too much to handle, and because my opinion is that Cockatoos shouldn't be kept as pets. By private persons who REALLY know what they're doing, having the right "facilities", as with any exotic animal? Go for it. But 99.9% (no source :icon-wink:) of the people getting cockatoos or parrots - really believing they know what they're in for - have no idea what they're doing and can't stand the bird for more than a year or two.

Sadly, I have almost a PETA-attitude when it comes to the large parrots, as they are spectacularly beatiful and charming, while simultaneously being among the most intelligent, sensitive animals you could own, and are an incredible amount of work, especially as "pets", indoors. So in captivity, they are often "predisposed to disaster", being sold in petshops and by breeders everywhere. And just as with cats and dogs, they are stocking up by the millions in rescues in the US. :shrug: I'm not against the ownership of them, I don't think they should be banned anywhere, but I don't think just anyone and everyone should be able to own them. Not everyone should be able to own *any* animal when you think about it, but cockatoos and large parrots really are high maintenance. And breeding should be regulated, as now, about 2 000 000 parrots are bred every year in the US alone.

I would love to have them again - in a more zoo-like setting - but indoors, heck no. :p No more than I would want a tiger in my living room, or think that's appropriate for the animal. I do have a Scarlet Macaw however - he's way more difficult than my tiny little Meyers, but he's still nowhere near the (slightly smaller) Cockatoos. He's not as picky, and has a much longer attention span, and is not as hyper and demanding.

But still, this guy was not tame when I got him (parent-raised, 2½ year old rehome, and I had never succeeded taming a bird before :roll:). It took me five months before I could handle him, and he's super tame now and a much easier and more forgiving bird to handle than the hand-raised ones I have experience with (he's got "bird skills" and treats me like a bird, so I know what to expect, the hand-raised ones have been far more unpredictable and unbalanced).

But he's only tame towards me - no other person has attempted handling him, so he doesn't tolerate other people. Which makes life hard for me, with a people-hostile Macaw taking up half my living-room, leaving for just a couple of days is impossible as I can't find any bird-sitter. :shrug: Saga, the Meyers, is easier, she loves people and I can bring her along if needed.

I also have a male (neutered) Ca de Bou, born 2010, so he'll be three years in a few months. I've had him since he was eight weeks, and while he is not my first own dog, he's the first puppy I raised myself. (I owned a whippet for sixteen months - but the breeder manipulated me and stole him back. And except for the sheltie I grew up with, Molly, my sister and mother now have one sheltie each, Daphne and Mimas, both six years old.)

I have lived with a total of three housecats when I grew up, and in September last year, got the first cat I've owned myself, a 1½ year old female Kurilian bobtail, a retired breeder (she had one litter then had to be castrated because she suffered from constantly being in heat) whom I picked up in Denmark.

I will not be staying in Sweden for my entire life (I HATE the cold, and am not entirely happy with how this place is being run - but I still love my roots and every country has its ugly sides), and have mostly aimed for Latin America, but due to the difficulty getting visas in other countries, I'm aiming for other countries in Europe first and foremost. I would also love to live in Hawaii (USA I know), but because of their fragile ecosystem, you can't even keep hamsters. :/ Almost no animal at all, as basically everything more exotic than a domestic cat is banned.

Anyway, if I end up in a place where these animals are legal, I would love to (in the distant future, when I have really settled down and can build aviaries and similar "facilities") keep Rheas, Toucans or Hornbills, perhaps Hawks or Falcons, Fruit bats, Foxes, and if I had the proper knowledge and facilities, perhaps even larger predators like Hyenas or Cheetahs.

Right now however, due to my unstable lifestyle (only 22 years old, still have to get an education, and want to move abroad), I have promised to keep the number of furry four-legs (dogs+cats) to a maximum of three, and no more birds, even if I couldn't keep them, I would get no more cage animals after them.

I do however want to get Wikus (my Ca de Bou) a dog-buddy perhaps the next year. I became fascinated by Wolf-lookalikes in the autumn of 2008, when I discovered the NI, Utonagan and Tamaskan. I didn't start thinking more seriously about the Tamaskan until last summer, and, SICKENING as it is, I believe the reason was because a zoo-keeper was killed by wolves here last summer, and I think that was what got me thinking about wolves and wolfdogs more. :shock: Very strange way to get interested by something, I know.

I was also considering another Ca de Bou, an Alano Español (closely related breed, but unlike most breeds of the same type, they are pack-hunting dogs so they have very little dog aggression), a Chongqing Dog (too rare, as there are only two-three breeders outside of China), or a traditional Shar-Pei (mission impossible to find a breeder, I noticed, and there's still no guarantee as to their health).

But now, I'm aiming for a "wolfalike" instead (such as Tamaskan or ANCD), as I've become more and more sick of the show-breeding, and want to go as natural as possible. (A Ca de Bou is not very "natural", but they are the least show-bred of the mastiff/bulldogs.)
Yes, I have a thing for rare breeds, but that's not a crime (on the more mainstream dog boards however, it is :icon-wink:), I think if you provide the proper care for your animal, I don't care why you took interest in the breed/species to begin with. And I don't get a type of animal because it's rare without thinking of whether it fits me or not, I'm just not attracted to the more common ones.
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the cold north

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Now I can welcome you officially since you posted here. ;) Welcome!

It sounds like you've had lots of experience with a wide variety of mammals. You have really neat interests. And good luck with becoming an actress. Having worked on independent film sets, I can see the hard work that goes into that. I wish you the best in that aspect.

I wouldn't say your thinking about birds is a PETA mentality--PETA wants to ban animal ownership, down to cats and dogs. I think your thoughts are different, and fall into the realm of being responsible and having common sense. I too agree that not everybody should own all of these animals. Most people can't even take good care of their dogs, let alone something like a bird that's going to live 70 years. It is sad how many birds wind up in rescue. I wish people would breed their animals more responsibly.

I like hyenas a lot too. I think they're very beautiful.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You said you're after wolfalike breeds? Tamaskans are not supposed to have wolf in them but there's arguement that some lines did have it entered to them.
As for Ancd's they do have wolf blood in them, they're really a low content wolfdog that is further down in the f generation so they're considering them dogs now, but they still do have recent wolf blood in the line.
Nìmwey

Postby Nìmwey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks to both of you. icon-smile

Cindy23323 wrote:You said you're after wolfalike breeds? Tamaskans are not supposed to have wolf in them but there's arguement that some lines did have it entered to them.
As for Ancd's they do have wolf blood in them, they're really a low content wolfdog that is further down in the f generation so they're considering them dogs now, but they still do have recent wolf blood in the line.

Yes, I'm on the Tamaskan-forum as well and it seems there is CsV in one of the founding sires, one of the founding females is an F4 wolfdog, and one litter was fathered by a Saarloos. So there is at least some wolf in them - but so little that I call them a wolf-lookalike rather than wolfdog breed.

I don't know if there is an "official" boundary between those two terms however, I think it may be rather fuzzy in these cases. And I know, I've thought from the beginning that the ANCD must have wolf in them, even if the founder won't admit it. Even the Tamaskan, that has some wolf in them, doesn't look nearly as wolfy as the average ANCD. But some wolf content at least five generations back doesn't bother me, as their temperament still seems rather "doggy". :icon-wink:
My main interest is in parrots, dogs, toothed whales and snakes.
Future animals I want to have when we have land are camels, wolfdogs/wolves, coyotes or jackals, striped hyena or aardwolf. Also poultry, rabbits water buffalo and/or yak for livestock.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 pm

I tend to prefer WDs over "wolfalike" breeds but the ANCDs are so pretty, I'd actually consider one of those someday. I just like the challenge of a wolfdog. It's so rewarding, and I adore working with them.
Something I've always wondered though, are the ANCDs only black? I've seen a photo of a white pup, but what about grays?

Also, welcome to the forum!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:06 pm

No they're not just black. She's had black, whites, reds and so on

Here's a video of one of her reds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_eRBh6d ... 5w&index=9

Here's one that appears to be white and a cream color
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFwDwmnU ... w&index=10

Here's a video of a litter of her pups and there's greys in there, curious as to what they looked like when they were grown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3XSvCf ... 5w&index=1

another grey pup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yZlFo_8nwU
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:15 pm

The gray and white & cream are both gorgeous! So smart too. :mrgreen: Thanks Cindy!
Chase
Banned
Banned

Postby Chase » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Welcome, you seem to have nice experience with animals! I look forward to talk to you more about your interests (I love all kind of animals too) and especially about the wolfalike dogs -which I adore-

Thanks for the links Cindy, I knew about the ANCD's possible colors but seeing them again is wonderful. They're gorgeous!

Return to “INTRODUCTION”