PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello :D

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

pagebreak

Hello :D

Postby pagebreak » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi everyone!

I found Sybil's way back when SibFox was still alive, and when SibFox site was down for several weeks, I went to explore and eventually found my way here and read Kay's story. Since then, I've gotten the chance to visit the Russian foxes when I was in Florida. It was a really great experience!

IMG_7643.jpg

I'm a total animal lover. I grew up with dogs, a cat, birds, guinea pigs, and horses. I hope to one day have my own fox, but right now my life doesn't allow that. So I'll just stalk the people here with their adorable fox photos and live vicariously :D

Also, I stop my car to save snakes and turtles off the street :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello :D

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I just love the platinum foxes. They're so beautiful. I would love to have the chance to own one.

That's neat that you were able to have an encounter with foxes. It's always great interacting with them before you decide to own one to know if it's best for you.

I too save snakes and turtles on the street. ;)

Do you own any pets? We'd love to hear about them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pagebreak

Postby pagebreak » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi! Yeah, the foxes were beautiful :) And I definitely wanted to know what I'd be getting myself into before just blindly buying an animal.

My family has two horses, 4 birds, and an Irish Terrier. Our cat died last year :/ she was 16 though and had cancer. It was rough. I grew up with a Welsh Terrier and a Westie (we love terriers, can you tell? :p). I also had guinea pigs when I was younger.

Sadly, I'm moving in a few weeks and even though the dog is mine, I don't have the money to support her. She's 13 now and some old age problems are starting to show, so I will leave her with my mom.

What pets does everyone here have?
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Welcome!
That's so cool that you got to meet the russian foxes! I'm jealous. Platinum foxes are one of my favorite color morphs. icon-smile

I have a rough collie, and a low content wolfdog. My collie's name is Daisy, and the wolfdog's name is Echo.
I also have two cats and three sugar gliders.
pagebreak

Postby pagebreak » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 pm

I actually still like red on foxes the best. Does that make me old fashioned? :p

Really pretty dogs! Wolfdogs are so good looking too, but I think I wouldn't be able to handle one. How different is he from your collie? Are there definite wolf behaviors that you see?

My friend has a husky mix that's supposedly 1/8 wolf. I think he got ripped off though, because I'm pretty sure it's just a husky :X Don't tell him!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a red fox with the cross coloration. I also have a grumpy CA kinsnakes, a cute-as-a-button western hognose, and a pied ball python. I'll be getting a female pied ball python in the mail this coming Wednesday. XD

I'm hoping later this year to take in a female red fox, but we'll see. It all depends if there's a good one someone's rehoming or not, and if I feel like taking on another fox.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pagebreak

Postby pagebreak » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Cross coloration are neat :D I've snapped a couple (fuzzy and horrible) pictures of wild foxes here, lots of them are cross. How big is the kingsnake? I guess cause it says "king" it makes me think it's really big :p I wanted a snake when I was like 5, but my mom wouldn't let me :X

I'm wondering what the big difference is between getting a wild fox that's tamed versus a domestic fox (the Russian ones). They told me that the Russian foxes can comfortably live indoors, but I'm wondering if the tamed ones would go nuts if they were stuck inside too much. Anyone know? If I did get a fox, I'd want it to live indoors, but I wouldn't want it to feel tortured.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 am

Basically, the main difference between Russian foxes and the normal ranched foxes is their innate tameness. However, if you get a ranched fox, it can be socialized to the point that you may not be able to notice a difference. So (to me at least) the end product is the same. If you go to the fox forum you can find quite a few threads talking about the Russian foxes vs the normal ranched ones.

Zebrafox (a member here) owns Anya--a domestic Siberian fox--and Anya needs an outdoor enclosure just like a normal ranched does. Red foxes do not make a good indoor pet--even if litter-trained (which most are). However, they can be let in and supervised--like how Elina will let hers in her office to play with her Alaskan Klee Kai, and Zebrafox lets in Anya.

The Russian foxes may do better inside because they have that innate tameness/calmness. But I really don't know. I'm just going off of what Zebrafox has done with Anya.

Kingsnakes actually aren't that big. Mine is a male (so therefore smaller) and he's only about 4 1/2 feet long. That may seem long, but it isn't at all--he's slender and can curl up into tiny spaces--he loves his egg carton. They're called "king" snakes because they're notorious for hunting other snakes and eating them. They even go after rattlesnakes. So in the snake world where they are native, they "reign" supreme for the most part.

The cross coloration was actually my least favorite color, lol, but I wound up with Fable who is a cross. I've come to really like the color, but I probably wouldn't ever want another cross.

My favorite colors are: classic red, arctic marble (with heavy black), platinum, sapphire, and pastel.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”