PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Greetings from Indiana

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

animalluver

Greetings from Indiana

Postby animalluver » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Hello everyone, I've decided to join you in my search for the perfect exotic pet to add to our family.
Currently, we don't really have anything too exotic by my standards, though some people think its a bit... eccentric that we have a pig in our house :lol:
A little about me : I'm 22, female, married, a certified animal cruelty investigator, animal cruelty rescue assistant, assist in some wildlife rehabbing, and a huge animal lover. I have been for all my life. I was that kid that, instead of playing with dolls, was outside climbing trees, trying to catch snakes in the garden, bringing slugs and snails in to the house, and babying hurt critters. Now look at me.

Currently we own four dogs and foster four more, own three cats and foster one, own one rabbit, two ferrets, three snakes, six rats and one pot belly house pig. (Yes, our house is big lol) We live in a country "town" in Indiana and love it here.
We're not sure what type of animal we'd like to add to our family next, though I'm gravitating towards a red or marbled fox. Specifically one from the Russian breeding program, but I'll post more about that in the fox section! I'm also quite keen on raccoon, skunks and tamandua.

I look forward to getting to know you all and soak up your knowledge, advice, and experiences!
See you around!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Indiana

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Hello and welcome! You've found the right place if you're an animal person. :icon-wink:

That's quite a lot of critters you've got! What kinds of snakes do you have? I absolutely love snakes, so I'm naturally quite curious. I've got a CA king, hognose, and two ball pythons. I'm going to try to breed my two ball pythons once my female gets big enough. I just can't wait to see all of the little babies coming out of their eggs.

This is the best place to talk about foxes. There are quite a few of us with red foxes that can give you some tips and advice. ;)

How do you get certified to be an animal cruelty investigator? That sounds like a job I'd like to have, but I don't know where to start.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Welcome a-board! :lol:
I live not to far North of you, in Michigan, just above the Ohio border. Only takes me about an hour or so to get into Indiana. I have an arctic fox, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have concerning them.

Ash wrote:
How do you get certified to be an animal cruelty investigator? That sounds like a job I'd like to have, but I don't know where to start.

I'd love to hear about it too, as well as any good stories you may have. Is it a job that can be done part time? I want to go into video game development, but I also want to keep my career field wide open and not limit myself to one type of job.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 pm

I believe skunks are one of the most family friendly type pets and would do well in your busy household.
animalluver

Postby animalluver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
Alynn wrote:Welcome a-board! :lol:
I live not to far North of you, in Michigan, just above the Ohio border. Only takes me about an hour or so to get into Indiana. I have an arctic fox, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have concerning them.

Ash wrote:

I'd love to hear about it too, as well as any good stories you may have. Is it a job that can be done part time? I want to go into video game development, but I also want to keep my career field wide open and not limit myself to one type of job.

As far as getting certified, I'm certified through our local police departments so you could try yours as well to see if they have a program or would be willing to open one! I'm also certified through the ASPCA in New York, which went through online classes. I'm not sure if that is open to the public or not, but I'm sure if you searched their site you'd find it if it were. Or email them!
I do it all on a volunteer basis though. I make NO money and usually go in the hole for anything I do. I'm on an "on call" type basis. I don't do anything without police back up when it comes to cruelty calls. We've been shot at...I wont risk it anymore. I do do owner surrenders or stray calls when I can but only if I have openings. But I love what I do. I love that I get to interact with all sorts of animals from the dogs and cats, all the way up to the birds of prey and wildlife.
Though, I refuse to get into wildlife rehabilitation and our rescue founder/director hasn't updated her license due to some of the new regulations. If we were to get a raccoon in that was over the weight limit (I think 10lbs, but I'm not sure) we'd have to euth. it, healthy or not. I wont do that. If we get any albinos, we'd have to cull them. I won't do that either. I get the idea behind it, we're overpopulated with raccoon, but I'm trying to help them lol not kill them!

As for stories, I'll kind of tie that in with the snake question.
I have a snow corn snake, ball python, and boa constrictor. The BP and BC come from this situation http://www.pal-item.com/article/20130215/NEWS01/302150008/Union-City-man-charged-with-branding-children
As did our rats (they were feeder breeders, but we feed f/t here) The BP, Salazar, is a sweet heart but the BC, Slytherin, is a brat! I can't handle him without protective gear because he was never handled.

And right now this is the most recent we've dealt with as far as cruelty goes.
http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/puppies-from-ohio-house-are-recovering
I bottle raised one of the pups that was locked in a closet and nearly died, she's the one I'm holding in the video.
And here are some pictures of the inside of the home. Rayne is the first and second picture. http://interactives.wane.com/photomojo/gallery/4251/85468/150-to-200-dogs-found-on-one-property/rescued-puppies-now-in-indiana/
This is her now!

TamanduaGirl wrote:I believe skunks are one of the most family friendly type pets and would do well in your busy household.

You answered one of my questions before I could ask it! lol
I was curious what animal would do best in an environment like ours. I do plan on cutting back on the amount of dogs and other rescue animals coming into my home due to our facility being built and they'll all finally have a place to go, so it will be quieter in the future as well. Any other suggestions? I'm not too aware of which animals would suit us. I've just researched the ones I've been interested in and gone from there.

Is there a photo limit? I'd love to share photos of everyone :lol:
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:46 am

Welcome to the forum
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:17 am

No, we love photos! Feel free to post as many as you want. We all enjoy looking at them. ;)

A Virginia possum is also a really good house pet. They just seem so lovable and sweet. The downside is they only live a few years, but they're definitely worth a look. I've only read about them, but what I've read has seemed very positive. I would absolutely love to have one.

I agree with TG about skunks. They make excellent, laid back pets.

Foxes need a lot of time and attention, and they'll get into everything. They're hyper and have a lot of energy. Red foxes in particular are very active. I'm not sure what kind of pet you're looking for, but if you're looking for a laid back animal, a fox probably wouldn't be a good fit. They aren't house pets unfortunately; even the domesticated Russian ones can't live indoors all the time.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Welcome to the forum!
I vote you post pictures of all of your animals! :mrgreen:
I started out fostering my wolfdog, but I couldn't give him up, so I adopted him. Kudos for being able to foster so many and be able to give them up when the time comes.
animalluver

Postby animalluver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:37 pm

All right! Pictures will follow!
sarajeku wrote:Welcome to the forum!
I vote you post pictures of all of your animals! :mrgreen:
I started out fostering my wolfdog, but I couldn't give him up, so I adopted him. Kudos for being able to foster so many and be able to give them up when the time comes.

I had a chance to have a high content wolf hybrid. Under my current circumstances I didn't feel it would be the best environment for him, so he was given to a sanctuary. Beautiful animal though!
I had actually thought of possums long ago. I've bottle raised many a possum babies that we released back into the wild and adored them while they were with me (love their hands), but their short life span is a huge turn off for me. That's why I'm getting out of rats. I adore rodent like critters, but their life span kills me.
I guess I'm looking for something that's playful yet affectionate. It doesn't necessarily have to be housed indoors 24/7 though that's a nice bonus if they could be. That was one of my cons about foxes, how they're mostly an outdoor animal. Which was going to be one of my questions pertaining to the Russian bred ones, if they had more indoor capability. And I've always heard comments about the smell they have. I was always told ferrets had a smell, but I honestly can't smell them. Maybe its just them, or me lol
As for skunks, they look like oversize ferrets to me lol Do they act anything like ferrets? My ferrets are more of a PLAY PLAY PLAY say hi to you for two seconds then are off again. I'd like something a little bit more....sociable? It doesn't necessarily have to be cuddly (though that would be lovely), but more inclined to interact with me. The more I read into skunks, they do seem to be a really good fit! I've read though not to use Lysol products or any type of air fresheners/cleaners/etc. Why is this, and is it even true? I usually use all natural cleaning products but do like my air fresheners for obvious reasons :lol: .

And now, my zoo!

First, the dogs.
This is Fry the Chihuahua and Gypsy the Chow/Collie mix. Fry was my first rescue/failed foster back in 2010. He was abandoned with his two girlfriends and was beaten and abused. His leg was broken and healed wonky so he limps. He also has no front teeth and will most likely be getting the rest removed soon. Gypsy was rescued in Colorado by a couple who found her lost in the mountains and was adopted by me while I lived out there. She's an old girl, probably around 8, and my husbands favorite.

Next we have Charlie, seen here with Gypsy. Charlie is a suspected Boxer mix and an old fellow. I nearly hit him with my car about a month ago after he had been spotted around our area over the course of a month as a stray. He was in shock when I nearly hit him, so I scooped him up and now he's here. He's going through heart worm treatment and then will be up for adoption!

Then there is Silas. I drove a total of 48 hours to save this guy from a NC animal control. I fell in love with his eyes and am a sucker for a "mean" looking pit bull type dog. I'm unsure if he's going to be adopted out or end up staying lol I love him to death but I had gotten him with the intention of finding him a home. He's a big ol baby and would do fantastic in weight pulling competitions.

We also have miss Kora. She's a pit bull type dog who was rescued in Illinois by my mother in law and given to us. She is SO sweet and the most submissive dog in our house. She doesn't know a stranger and just loves everyone, especially children.

Also, there is Desi, our failed foster deaf Great Dane. When she first came to our rescue, she wanted to kill us. I'm not even exagerating. She would have seriously hurt someone had she not came to us. After about three days of gaining her trust, we started training and now she's a huge (literally) love bug and loves meeting new people!

Then lastly, since you've met Rayne already, is Dobby. Dobby came to me from a family member. He was nearly starved to death and terrified of women. Now, he's a clingy little guy who loves to be with you. He's up for adoption as well.

Cats!
This is Albus (white and black) and Figaro (black). Both are Feline Leukemia positive. Figaro was attacked by something and found his way to our porch one night. We, of course, saved him. Albus was adopted from a local rescue as a companion for Fig.

Two Tone/aka Hazle, is a foster kitten. She's part bob tail (mothers side) and a HUGE lover.
(Our other cat, a big ginger called Crookshanks, isn't available for photos at this time. He's at the vet's having a neuter performed)

Ferrets!
Fred (front) and Draco (back). They were both owner surrenders and are older now. They don't play as much and would rather just sleep the day away.

Rats!
We have Alice, Ethel (not pictured as she's quite the aggressive little witch lol), Arwen, Frodo, and Samwise. Arwen, Ethel, Frodo, and Samwise are the only surviving rats from the story I spoke of from above. Ten came to me, but they were all poorly taken care of and just lost the will to survive. Alice is one of my first rats and is pushing 3 1/2!
ImageImageImageImage

Rabbit!
Cicero is a Lionhead/Polish cross purchased from a young 4-H breeder who was trying to raise money to go to regionals (or something like that) and I had gone to just donate. But...I seen this little puff ball, loved having rabbits as a kid...and now he hops around our spare bedroom :lol:

Snakes!
I have a snow corn, Bubba, Ball Python, Salazar, and one evil Boa, Slytherin. I don't have photos of the Ball or Boa, but have videos! They are eating in them, so don't watch if that bothers you! The mice (which I know are too small, but that's all I had on hand. Wasn't expecting there to be snakes in the home) were f/t.
ImageImageImage

And lastly, pig!
Brisket is our Pot Belly Pig. He's around 5 months old and is an indoor/outdoor pig. He's house trained, loves being held (not picked up) and hates baths lol

It looks like a lot when its all laid out like that :roll:
Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Wow, you've got a ZOO there! Welcome to the forum, and you have beautiful animals.
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
animalluver

Postby animalluver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 pm

We sure do! I wouldn't have it any other way though. And thank you very much!

I went ahead and made a post in the little critter section to make asking and answering skunk related questions easier.
I'd be thrilled to have any of you take a peek! I'm mostly curious about the home inspection.

http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10747
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Oh wow Gypsy is BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE collies and collie mixes. I actually have a rough collie.
Gypsy is absolutely gorgeous! :happyfox:
animalluver

Postby animalluver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Thank you!! We love collies too. I grew up with those as our "go to breed" along with all other imaginable animals. My grandparents use to rehab wildlife and collies did the best with the various critters we had. Fantastic dogs!

Return to “INTRODUCTION”