PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi there! c:

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

GearHound

Hi there! c:

Postby GearHound » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Hey everyone!

My name's Molly. I'm a sophomore in college at Kent State, looking into fox ownership.

I don't actually own any pets myself. My dad has a dog, a GSD mix, and my mom has a Golden Retriever mix and a cat. The closest I've ever gotten to exotic was when my brother and I had pet lizards. But I like to research foxes from time to time.

It certainly won't happen in the near future. It'll be years before I'm on enough stable ground financially to keep a dog or a cat, let alone a fox. But I like to know what I'll be getting into when I do decide I'm ready for one.

I have a question for other fox owners here. I've heard that foxes can be very difficult. I don't think it would be good to jump into owning one without any prior personal pet ownership experience. Are there any good starter animals to own that could prime you before diving into the difficulties of exotic pet ownership? Would it be also be a good idea to volunteer at an animal sanctuary?
Yume_Kitsune

Re: Hi there! c:

Postby Yume_Kitsune » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 pm

First off welcome to the forums

if my name seems familiar, i just sent you a random friends request on Facebook/ a common friend shared your post and i couldn't comment on it unless i was your friend. i was just going to say that this place is an amazing resource about foxes and ownership. I have been researching foxes for years and this place has taught me a lot, though money issues stop me from getting one at the mement lol.

also don't let those other people who said that you shouldn't get a fox stop you. people think fox they think dangerous animal that belongs in the wild. though just look at these, all but 19 is adorable (17 is so cute lol :P http://www.buzzfeed.com/courtneyboydmye ... -pets-a6bm
keepsmiling

Postby keepsmiling » Wed May 01, 2013 4:37 am

Welcome!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 01, 2013 11:56 am

Welcome to the forum!

To be honest, as long as you're ready to care for the fox during it's whole life and you have an established routine down, they're not too difficult to care for. It sounds like you've already had experience with some bigger dogs. An outdoor enclosure makes caring for any exotic much easier--you just go through every few days with a pair of tongs and pick up the feces.

It's a good idea for you to wait until you graduate before getting a fox. It was rough on me going to college and taking care of a fox--I did it, but it was very difficult at times and fortunately I live with my sister who could help out on days when I was feeling overwhelmed.

Anyway, welcome! I hope you learn all that you can about foxes.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
GearHound

Postby GearHound » Wed May 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Yume: Oooooh...I was wondering who you were. Sorry I didn't accept it sooner. I get wary of people on Facebook when I've had no prior interaction. Which is why there's still a handful of people sitting in Facebook limbo in my friend requests. :P

That must be Lauren. She liked the post I made, so I'm guessing it showed up in your newsfeed.

Ash: Thanks for the help! Yeah, we've raised all of our dogs from puppies too, so maybe that also helps. It'll definitely be after I've graduated, and probably some time after that too. I'm thinking I should prooooobably have a house and a stable job first.

Thanks again! :)

Return to “INTRODUCTION”