PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Taz- baby grey fox

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Taz

Taz- baby grey fox

Postby Taz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Hello!
I'm so happy to finally find the time to register and write a post. I first want to say a huge THANK YOU to Sybil for speaking to me and then my husband when we thought matters were prettu dire. Your calm experienced experience and advice has turne ours and Taz's world completly around!
Let me back track a bit.
We purchased our grey fox about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Taz was four weeks old. His mother had 6 other kits that she abandoned. All of then died and he was bottle fed from 16 hours old. When we picked him up he was just finishing medicine for an eye infection and was very tiny. We had so many expectations of Taz being a huge part of our lives. For us this meant him being with us in the house while we were home, and a combination of inside and outside while we were not.( we have a 12x10 cage outside that has a kitty door in to a larger dog cage inside). To make a long story short we started his transition off on the wrong paw (pun intended). I read that he should have more than the three bottles, so we increased them and the wet food he would not touch. My husband did not want to leave him alone, so he started commuting to and from NJ with him( 4 hours in a truck total). By the third day he had visciously attacked me over a small peice of chocolate on my dress. This happened the next morning and evening, and then he started showing similar signs with my husband.
It was at this point I deesperatly asked for Sybils help. We took him off of the bottle, started on chicken which he attacked like a starving fox, and we made the time to keep him at home only and spend more time with him. Within a few days he was leaning against my leg and letting me pet his head. In less than a week he spends a great deal of time with us in our King size bed which he absolutly loves. He is so fiesty and playful that he is a constant sourse of entertainment for us.
When we are not home he freely moves between his two pens. Outside he has our two pet deer, dog and cat that interact with him easily and without caution. When we arrive home at the end of the day he is so excited to see us that we at times think he might explode from running around so fast!

When his inside pen door is open and he has free raign of the house, he has not had any accidents. As far as I know he runs outside to do his business( I havent looked under my bed yet ~). I have a kitty litter pan that he did use in his pen, but now he simply runs outside. I dont know how long he will be good, as i understand he will start marking. This morning he urinated on my husbands arm...

Taz goes to sleep with us, but I dont think this will continue because he wakes up and wants to play or he will keep trying to get his mouth in our mouths or our ears.

A few questions I have~
-Taz play bites like a kitten and at times he has broken my husbands skin. Is this teething? If so what kind of teething toys should we get?
- Does anyone know why he wants to eat/lick our mouths and ears?

Once again Thank You Sybil/Pat for your help :>

I look forward to any and all responses.

Renee

My new questions are these.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Taz- baby grey fox

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:38 pm

It's not teething they all do it. Stop playing with him and give him a toy to bite instead. You can also try a puppet or something he can bite so he learns to only play bite with that and not bare skin. This takes TIME to remedy. They all go through it.

"Does anyone know why he wants to eat/lick our mouths and ears?"

He loves you. all my dog have always done that too.
Taz

Postby Taz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. Your pets are prettu cute!

I will try the puppet advice. I guess I can make one out of a sock (He loves socks!!)

When I say he wants to lick our ears and lips, I mean he becomes obsessed with getting inside!
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Taz wrote:When I say he wants to lick our ears and lips, I mean he becomes obsessed with getting inside!

Tribble my gray also does this, she actually woke me up last night by jamming a good portion of her face/muzzle into my slightly open mouth.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 am

Taz wrote:Thanks for the reply. Your pets are prettu cute!

I will try the puppet advice. I guess I can make one out of a sock (He loves socks!!)

When I say he wants to lick our ears and lips, I mean he becomes obsessed with getting inside!

Thank you.

My dogs too. They like to lick up a nose, mostly Beaker. It's a chihuahua thing. Anteaters will do it too they lick in ears and Pua used to try licking up my nose a lot but she could tell I didn't like it, it hurts to get a tongue that far up, and eventually stopped. She likes sniffing my breath though. She even used to lick my eye lids.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am

welcome taz, so glad you joined us.
I know we are all going to enjoy hearing about your baby growth, and of course pictures.

really glad I was able to help you. sounds like you have one nice fox.
his outside setup sounds good too. at first I had a hard time picturing what you were
explaining. now I understand. sounds like he will be surrounded by animals that will entertain him while you are
not at home... I would love to see pictures of the set up.

I agree, the play bite is not a good idea. you can also use stuffed animals. anything but your hand :lol:
I would like to make a suggestion, maybe put a litter pan in the house too.

thank you for joining us and thank you for the kind words.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I would love to see some pictures of your little one if you have time.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Taz

Postby Taz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi,
Its been quite awhile since I was on this site. Let me try and come to date.
Taz is now 9 mo old. He is our pride and joy. He sleeps and cuddles with us just about every night, except when he's getting into mischief in the wee hours, then he has to go to his cage. On those times he is not very happy. He rattles his cage for hours!We figured out a way to keep him in his outside cage (we close the doggie door), but he scratches at that door and makes even more noise. When we let him in a couple hours later, he is usually tired by then and goes right to sleep. Taz weighs 13 pounds now. He was neutered in September and has had all of his distemper shots (the new and revised ones). He did have piddle accidents after each shot, but for the most part he has continued to go outside on his own. We stopped using a litter box when he was a couple months old as he only buried his food in it. The only time he piddles in the house is if there is something new and out of the ordinary. I have taught him to sit and come to his name and my whistle. He loves other people and is quite great with our small grandchildren. But he will still bite any adult nose if he gets the chance, but only in play :>
We need to work more on the harness, as he hates it put on. After speaking with Pat today, we decided to try keeping it on for awhile so we can easily take him out for walks. Up until now he has only gone on a dozen walks or so. But at this point he really, really needs the exercise so he doesn't keep us up at night wanting to play. In the spring we will have to expand his cage (now only 8x10). We really liked all of the post about Tribble (not sure if I got name right). It is nice to see another grey fox and see how different each one can be. Our house has become more and more sparse as Taz has either broken picture frames, coffee cups laying around, or anything he can steel. He especially likes gloves and the liners of shoes, which all have to be in Tupperware or closets.
Having a fox has been wonderful, yet also trying. I liken it to having a perpetual todler. Most of our molding and the walls by our door moldings are scratched from 4-8 ft up and my once loved house plants are all but gone. Antique furniture is also scratched, all from his crazy energetic excitement, hence his name, Taz, as in Tasmanian Devil. All that being said, we would not trade him for the world!
I hope to be able to contribute more, but getting on a computer is rough in our house (Taz is so quick he pulls all of the keys of in seconds flat).
I have many videos and pictures but am not sure how to get them on this site, any suggestions?
Renee
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Huh, Tribble hates everyone but me...but she also has a nose biting thing.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:20 am

Hi, it's great to hear about you and your little fur baby. Taz sounds very adorable. I've wondered what grays are like, and it's awesome to be able to hear from owners about them.

I'm glad he gets along with the grandchildren well and is friendly with other people. It's an uncommon trait in foxes.

Welcome back. ;) Happy to hear the update.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas

Return to “INTRODUCTION”