PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

What I've Been Up To

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

caninesrock

What I've Been Up To

Postby caninesrock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Just dropping in to let everybody know I'm not dead. Anyway, life's been pretty busy the last few months. I'm currently volunteering at Wildlife Rehabilitation Center where I syringe feed baby squirrels and baby rabbits. I also feed baby birds their insects,berries, and kibble and feed opossums kibble mixed with formula. We have raccoons,foxes, and deer sometimes too,but because of Texas state law I'm not allowed to help with the raccoons or foxes unless I get a pre-rabies shot which cost $800 and isn't covered by insurance so that isn't happening. Sucks too. Opossums and squirrels are cute and all but foxes,coyotes, and raccoons are my favorite animals there and I can't work with them. Speaking of foxes and coyotes, we had 2 foxes in,but apparently while Texas Parks and Wildlife said it was ok, the state Health Department is scolding them and saying its illegal and now we don't know who to listen to. Oh, Texas, how I have such a love-hate relationship with you. I'm also getting ready to start volunteering at the SPCA. Anyway, that's been my life these last couple of months.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: What I've Been Up To

Postby sarajeku » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Glad you're still alive!
Last week, we released our only fox on friday, and on thursday we released our wild rehab coyote.

That sucks about the rabies law, but really, if it's a rehab center, you wouldn't be able to have much contact with the animal anyway, aside from cleaning their enclosures and feeding them. We have NO human contact with ours after they're weaned from the bottle so that the babies will stay wild and releasable.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi, and welcome back, Caninesrock! It's been a while since you've been on. It sounds like even if it isn't ideal, you're getting necessary experience. Even if you aren't working with foxes or coyotes like you would like, taking care of the other animals will really teach you a lot and be a great learning experience.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 am

Thanks guys. Today I got to feed baby squirrels. They're so adorable. They make these really cute sounds when they are hungry, kind of like a squeak mixed with a moan but not exactly. It's hard to describe. They also gripped the syringe with their almost human-like paws and sometimes won't let go for you to refill it and give them another cc. It's so cute.

The opossums are neat too,but the squirrels are by far my favorite. Baby opossums are cute. The adults can be kind of grumpy though. They make this weird hissing sound that's sort of a cross between a snake and cat hiss. Some of the adults are big too. They're like cat,maybe even small dog-sized. I never realized possums could get that big before I started volunteering with them. They also smell really bad, especially when frightened, and they poop alot and its really runny and wet and kinda gross. The babies are really,really cute though so they make up for their stink and poopiness. Lol. XD Oh, and that thing about opposums playing dead? Well,yes,but only after they hiss, growl, snap, and try to bite you first. And unfortunately even the grouchy ones' cages have to be cleaned so they have to be handled for that. Luckily, I mostly do stuff with the babies and only rarely with the adults.

Rabbits. I've only gotten to do rabbits twice. They are extremely difficult to feed and the center prefers to use staff and highly experienced volunteers to feed them as there's so many things that can go wrong. Rabbits have to eat really,really slow out of a syringe otherwise they could aspirate(get formula in their lungs and choke to death basically), some rabbits refuse to eat, and some try to hop out of your hands and escape. The squirrels are much easier to deal with feeding wise.

Birds. I prefer mammals over birds personally but when all the mammal jobs are taken by other volunteers and staff, sometimes I get stuck with birds. They've kind of started to grow on me though. I feed them by dropping their food into their mouth off a pair of scissors. You grip the food with the scissors and then you open the scissors and let the food fall out into their mouths. It's really funny how they open their mouths to beg for food and if you miss and drop it in their cage instead, they refuse to eat for some reason even the ones whose eyes are open. Sometimes there will be a cage with 3 or 4 birds in it and one little guy will be pushed away by the others. I always try to hold the others back with hand while I give food to little guy to make sure he gets something to eat. I don't know if the other volunteers make sure but I always want to make sure I atleast didn't let any of the birds go hungry. And sometimes some of the volunteers forgot to put a sign on the birds saying they are old enough to fly now and you have to chase them around the center. They usually don't get far though and the center is mostly indoors so they only fly around indoors. The baby,baby ones are pink with no feathers, naked looking. At first I thought they were ugly,but then my maternal instinct kicked in after awhile of working with them and I've become quite fond of them and their helplessness, thinking their so ugly that their cute. The Blue Jays sound like they're shreiking like someone's murdering them or something when they're begging for food. It's a really odd sound. And the Nighthawk have to get alot of encouragement to eat until the get the hang of it. The ones that do eat like pigs, but the ones that don't, refuse to eat anything unless you force them(gently).

I learned more about opossums,squirrels,and birds then I ever thought I would know. I'm still looking forward to starting at the SPCA though as they have dogs I could volunteer with, and as my username can attest to, canines of any type still are and will always be favorite and first love to work with.

I don't know about the SPCA,but unfortunately, I can't share any pics as its the policy of the wildlife center for no photography or videotaping except for by their public relations people or if you ask permission for any picture you take as some volunteers in the past(who got fired) were misusing these privileges to take pictures of animals at the center that they forced to do stupid poses for photos and put the photos on Facebook. Also, they don't want to stress out the animals or get them too use to people by giving them unneccessary attention like taking photographs. The unreleasable education animals can have their pictures taken though as long as their in the public lobby and not in the behind-the-scences area where we rehabilitate the animals and the public isn't allowed.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:57 am

That's so cool to hear, and very interesting. I didn't know that about those animals. That's cool that you get to work with nighthawks. Are they like whippoorwills? I love whippoorwills.

It's a shame you can't take pictures (because I'm sure we would all love to see the babies), but that makes sense though. Especially if others were abusing the privilege.

It sounds like you've been up to a lot though, and that you're enjoying it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Jen Jen

Postby Jen Jen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

Wow, that all sounds so cool!

Return to “INTRODUCTION”