PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New Member CajunLady1

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

cajunlady1

New Member CajunLady1

Postby cajunlady1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi. I am new to this forum. I live in South Louisiana. I have 2 parakeets. One named Nibbles and the other we call Baby Girl. Nibbles is about 4 months old and can talk some. But I do have a problem with her wanting to bite. I have tried everything everyone has suggested. He will come to the side of the cage for me to rub his head, but seems to be afraid of my hand. :shrug:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member CajunLady1

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. Birds can be very tricky to train, because they're not something many people know how to work with. I was researching parrots a little while ago though, and I did learn some things I can hopefully share that may help. I bought and watched some bird training DVDs from some of the best professionals out there, and it taught me a lot. :)

One thing to remember that bird trainers heavily try to reinforce is that birds are not like dogs. A bird is completely different and doesn't think or react the same way in which a dog does. With birds, everything should be voluntary and on the bird's own terms. If you want your bird to like you, then you need to entice it to like you.

A great thing to do is 15-minute clicker-training exercises with a bird. It really does wonders and helps strengthen the bond between you and the bird. It also teaches a bird when it is demonstrating good behavior. When it lets you pet it, click right away and then give a treat. When it is acting in a calm manner, even if it's just sitting there calmly, click and give it a treat. When it "steps up" on your finger, click and give it a treat. This immediately starts to teach the bird what is the appropriate behavior to get a treat. Eventually what is originally enticement, will become trust and a bond.

One thing that also contributes greatly to a bird's temperament is diet. If you are feeding your bird seeds, it is not getting a proper diet. Eating seeds is like eating candy. They don't feel very good when all they eat is candy, much like a human. There are some really good diets online that you can find for parrots and parakeets. Research some of those, see what is best for your situation, and then try it. And then reserve seeds for rewarding good behavior.

An amazing resource is birdtricks.com. The people there are great professionals and they have devoted their lives to caring for parrots and other exotic birds. Read the blog posts, read their care guides, and I'm sure you will learn invaluable information that will really help you with your bird. :)

Anyway, welcome to the forum! I'm excited to have another bird lover here, we don't have enough of those on here right now. I would love to see some pictures of your parakeets if you have time.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
cajunlady1

Re: New Member CajunLady1

Postby cajunlady1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:12 am

Nibbles and Baby Girl. Nibbles went through his first molt a few weeks ago. Every day I notice his colors changing a little more. Not sure what color he will finally be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”