PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New here! Starting to read up on fox ownership.

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

AngieH

New here! Starting to read up on fox ownership.

Postby AngieH » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi all. New here and reading lots. Have been tossing around the idea of having a fox for awhile. We are actually up to the discussing/logistics/possibility of it. Lots of research still to be done. IE: vets, permits, housing, legality of it all. Anyhow, in NE Florida. Are there any breeders, clubs or meet ups where we could pick more brains for ideas? Thanks. :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New here! Starting to read up on fox ownership.

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :) Glad to have another fox lover! Florida is a great state for owning exotics, especially foxes.

What type of fox are you interested in? Reds, arctics, grays, fennecs?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
AngieH

Postby AngieH » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 pm

We love the look of the reds and silvers. Fennec foxes are super cute but soo noisy from what we have seen. We also have 2 cats in the house....makes me think the larger foxes might could be a problem (still checking it all out).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 am

Yeah, it's usually recommended to keep foxes separated from cats. A member here had a fox that got a long great with the cat for years, and then out of the blue one day for no reason the fox just attacked the cat and tried to kill it. You really have to be careful when introducing different species like that. The best thing would be to find a way to keep them separated from one another.

Keep in mind reds can be loud too. ;) They'll scream during breeding season.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

none of my foxes are noisy. two of them are fixed, so the issue of the loud noise for me is not too bad.

I have heard the fennecs have a high pitch screem to them :shrug: don't know how often.
I have heard them on utube. maybe they are not all like that.. :shrug:

my one fox attacked my older cat after being around her for years.
now, I keep my cats and foxes seperate.

you might be able to get the fox use to a cat when the fox is young. but, never trust an adult fox unsupervised.

please make sure you completely understand a fox'es behavior and needs prior to getting one.
this will help make life better for you and the fox. there are many fox owners here and lots of posts about them.
feel free to read thru some of them.

also, don't know if you seen this, but, might help a little. :shrug:
http://sybilsden.com/reference/faq-fox.htm
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “INTRODUCTION”