PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

HI

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

raindear

HI

Postby raindear » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:24 pm

This site was recommended to me as a new exotic pet owner. I recently bought a 6 month old Brazilian Short Tailed Opossum. I have read everything I could find on her, but have some questions that the information I have found doesn't answer.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HI

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. We always love getting new animal lovers and hearing about their experiences. Tell us more about your possum. They're such cute little critters. What's the name of the little guy? (or gal?)

Again, welcome. We would love to help answer some of your questions.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
raindear

Postby raindear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:20 am

Her name is Smidgen. I swear she's the teeniest pet I've ever had. I believe even the hamsters, parakeets, and gerbils I have had were larger. I have had her for four weeks, today. She seems to be an odd mix of tame and skittish. She will sit in my hand or on my arm and wash herself one minute then be running races around my arms and hands the next. One day when I was trying to pick her up, she stopped and grabbed food from one of her dishes then ran to another spot and nibbled some of it while I was trying to pinpoint her new position to try again to get my hand near her. I can't imagine she would do these things- wash on me, or nibble while running from me if she were afraid of me. She has hissed at me a couple of times, but never made any attempt to bite. She was 6 months old when I got her and one of my concerns is that she might be too old to bond with me. Another question I have is about STO vocalizations. I heard her chitter at the cats when they got too curious. I knew from my reading that she could hiss, but know nothing about other vocalizations I might expect. She is the cutest little thing and was the hit of the vet's office when she got her well baby checkup. Everyone wanted a look at her.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:41 pm

She sounds adorable. :) Getting her at 6 months I'm sure will make it challenging, but I'm sure with time you can get her to bond with you. For taming/bonding, it's generally the younger the better as far as exotics go. But like I said, some dedication on your part, and I'm sure you'll make a good little friend.

Thanks for telling me about her. I think they are very cute animals so I like learning about them.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “INTRODUCTION”