PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Another newb here...

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi all.. Glad to meet you... my Partner and I just placed deposits on2 Arctic foxes with tiny tracks... We are extra excited... Looking forward to learning and sharing....

We currently live in ok but we are truck drivers so we travel everywhere....
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: Another newb here...

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:03 am

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on putting down the deposits on the fox kits. What genders will you be getting? Any names picked out?

Can't wait to hear more about the little ones and your preparation for them. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:11 am

Ash wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on putting down the deposits on the fox kits. What genders will you be getting? Any names picked out?

Can't wait to hear more about the little ones and your preparation for them. :)


hi ash and ty for the warm welcome.... daddy says he will name his frigus which is Latin for cold or frigid..I'm naming .zeme rauni or ziva. ... Those are slavic and goddess names. ..

I'm prepared for high activity needs and plenty of exercise....I once lived with macaques and I'm thinking that kind of constant supervision will be needed. ..

I've been reading on the higher propensity of arctic going to potty outside so i plan to work with them that way..

I was initially worried about being truck drivers and doing this but if the breeder has faith we can do it then i will have faith too. ..lol
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Another newb here...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

greenfire wrote:I was initially worried about being truck drivers and doing this but if the breeder has faith we can do it then i will have faith too. ..lol


Over the road? Because this is illegal. It doesn't matter if it is legal in your home state you will drive through states where it isn't legal. Many it may be legal but you'd need an import permit just to drive through. There are many, MANY, stories of exotics being taken from travelers. Heck it's even happening to pit bull owners now. They have come and stormed hotel rooms and taken put bulls because hey, it's not legal in the city even if you are just passing through.
greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:26 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
greenfire wrote:I was initially worried about being truck drivers and doing this but if the breeder has faith we can do it then i will have faith too. ..lol


Over the road? Because this is illegal. It doesn't matter if it is legal in your home state you will drive through states where it isn't legal. Many it may be legal but you'd need an import permit just to drive through. There are many, MANY, stories of exotics being taken from travelers. Heck it's even happening to pit bull owners now. They have come and stormed hotel rooms and taken put bulls because hey, it's not legal in the city even if you are just passing through.


Some hints on how to research this please??
greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:
greenfire wrote:I was initially worried about being truck drivers and doing this but if the breeder has faith we can do it then i will have faith too. ..lol


Over the road? Because this is illegal. It doesn't matter if it is legal in your home state you will drive through states where it isn't legal. Many it may be legal but you'd need an import permit just to drive through. There are many, MANY, stories of exotics being taken from travelers. Heck it's even happening to pit bull owners now. They have come and stormed hotel rooms and taken put bulls because hey, it's not legal in the city even if you are just passing through.


This is upsetting to hear... The breeder Even had a truck driver friend that did the same thing...I assumed silly me that as long as we were legal at home everything would be fine... sigh
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: Another newb here...

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:13 pm

So are you planning on taking the foxes with you then when you travel? Aside from the legalities issue, traveling is extremely stressful for a fox--mine won't eat at all in the car unless he's absolutely starving or if we've been parked for a while. He's nervous the whole time too and just cowers in a corner. He won't even eat treats. I'm surprised Dave said that it would be okay, but maybe he misunderstood that you would both be gone so much.

As for figuring out the legalities, we have a forum for state laws where you can look up the different laws for the states you would be driving through to double-check. That would help for states that have no regulations for arctic foxes whatsoever. Any that aren't like that, you can call the states' DNR and ask about visiting laws and import permits if you're a traveler. Hopefully that will help. If you ever run into a state that is difficult to get the information for, we could help you there. But also be sure that it won't be just the state laws you'll look into, but you will also have to look into the laws of the counties and cities you'll be staying in or even traveling through... Now that I think of it, that's going to be a lot of counties if you travel between states.

Since getting a fox, I don't travel anywhere since he is such a commitment. He can't be taken with me, and with exotics you can't trust most people to look after them while you're away (I'm sure you probably ran into that with your macaques too; they're your babies, and there are few enough people you would trust leaving your dogs with, let alone your exotic). The most traveling I ever do is visit my family in my home state--and I've only done that twice since bringing him home, and I don't think I'll be doing it again. Now that I have Fable, no vacations anymore.

I think what would be best is keeping the foxes in a pen when you're gone at your permanent residence. Maybe you and your husband could try to arrange a new schedule so that one of you is always there with the foxes to take care of them, or if anything, you're only gone for one day max and leave them with extra food and water (though in the winter you would have to make sure you do something so the water doesn't freeze when you're gone). Otherwise, I think it will always be just way too much stress on you and your hubby to take in two foxies. I don't know your situation well, or how much traveling you do, whether it's local or from state-to-state, but it sounds like it will be very difficult to make everything work out unless one of you chooses a different job so you could stay home and look after the babies. That's what I would suggest, anyway. ;)

I like the names you picked out though. They sound very pretty and creative.

If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask. We're here to help, and we'd like to help you and your husband out with your future fur babies.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Another newb here...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Sadly lots of truck drivers do have exotic pets, like ferrets, but it doesn't make it legal just because some get away with it. Some get away with it but others don't. As Ash said you need to find out the laws of every state and county you pass through and city you might spend some time in. County sheriff's some times handle some of the highways so county laws will apply to any animals you have. Now what if you break down and have to have an unscheduled stop and that city is illegal? It could be big trouble. This is what happened in the pit bull case I mentioned and it wasn't just the one case.

A man was transporting his gators and crocs from one state he was legal in to another he was legal in he had permits for those states both but his truck broke down in AZ and the police found is animals and they were confiscated because they are illegal in AZ and he had no permits for AZ. A friend volunteers with the licensed herp place that has them now.

Some states might have pass through laws so that long as you are only passing through and not stopping for more than to fuel up that they will let you go. Others like AZ and PA are known for being eager to snatch animals from people even just passing through.

It's one of those things a lot of people get away with but if you get stopped a couple foxes are going to be a lot harder to hide than a ferret.

Oh also every state will require a valid state health certificate from the origin state. These are normally good for only 30 days. So you are going to have to see a vet every 30 days and the state health cert will cost you more than a regular check up and I'm not sure that every vet does them.
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Another newb here...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh awhile back we had a member that was going to drive and pick up her new fox kit. I suggested she check with the states she would have to drive through. She quickly decided to fly the kit instead because most or maybe all the states she called said yes she would need a permit just to pass through. It sucks but in their eyes if they banned them for "safety" reasons it's not going to be safe to have you driving through without the proper permits to do so.

Again people do it and get away with it but lots more than anyone ever hears about get in trouble and that is almost always the animals seized. It just doesn't seem to make the news very often. A bit off topic but on the last subject. Lots of people get ferrets in CA and think that law is not enforced but it is. 100's of ferrets are confiscated every year and in their case most are just killed. But again it doesn't make the news normally so people think that means it's not happening.

Sorry for the disappointing news but it would be much worse to later have them taken from you due to a flat tire or ticket or something where they get discovered.
greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Ash wrote:So are you planning on taking the foxes with you then when you travel? Aside from the legalities issue, traveling is extremely stressful for a fox--mine won't eat at all in the car unless he's absolutely starving or if we've been parked for a while. He's nervous the whole time too and just cowers in a corner. He won't even eat treats. I'm surprised Dave said that it would be okay, but maybe he misunderstood that you would both be gone so much.

As for figuring out the legalities, we have a forum for state laws where you can look up the different laws for the states you would be driving through to double-check. That would help for states that have no regulations for arctic foxes whatsoever. Any that aren't like that, you can call the states' DNR and ask about visiting laws and import permits if you're a traveler. Hopefully that will help. If you ever run into a state that is difficult to get the information for, we could help you there. But also be sure that it won't be just the state laws you'll look into, but you will also have to look into the laws of the counties and cities you'll be staying in or even traveling through... Now that I think of it, that's going to be a lot of counties if you travel between states.

Since getting a fox, I don't travel anywhere since he is such a commitment. He can't be taken with me, and with exotics you can't trust most people to look after them while you're away (I'm sure you probably ran into that with your macaques too; they're your babies, and there are few enough people you would trust leaving your dogs with, let alone your exotic). The most traveling I ever do is visit my family in my home state--and I've only done that twice since bringing him home, and I don't think I'll be doing it again. Now that I have Fable, no vacations anymore.

I think what would be best is keeping the foxes in a pen when you're gone at your permanent residence. Maybe you and your husband could try to arrange a new schedule so that one of you is always there with the foxes to take care of them, or if anything, you're only gone for one day max and leave them with extra food and water (though in the winter you would have to make sure you do something so the water doesn't freeze when you're gone). Otherwise, I think it will always be just way too much stress on you and your hubby to take in two foxies. I don't know your situation well, or how much traveling you do, whether it's local or from state-to-state, but it sounds like it will be very difficult to make everything work out unless one of you chooses a different job so you could stay home and look after the babies. That's what I would suggest, anyway. ;)

I like the names you picked out though. They sound very pretty and creative.

If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask. We're here to help, and we'd like to help you and your husband out with your future fur babies.


I think Dave is the husband of the woman my husband spoke to. ... After she heard we are truck drivers she was telling him about how they have a friend thats a truck driver and traveled with his Fox and if worked out great. .How the truck driver would actually let his Fox out the door with no leash to go potty... And it scared everyone that he did that but the guy had such an unusual bond with the fox. ..He was explaining to her that we travel all the time and she was quite helpful ... And very nice.... The only thing that worried me was after i came on here and heard how bad they could stink my husband asked her about that and she said arctics don't stink....We were worried about being in such a small space like a moving truck and whether they would
......Also I was thinking that if we started out with them as kits they would become used to it...

With Molly(my macaque) she LOVED to travel...Back when i had them there weren't so many laws and restrictions either....

Yeah researching every single city and state might prove to be a real problem....:(
Last edited by greenfire on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:21 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Oh awhile back we had a member that was going to drive and pick up her new fox kit. I suggested she check with the states she would have to drive through. She quickly decided to fly the kit instead because most or maybe all the states she called said yes she would need a permit just to pass through. It sucks but in their eyes if they banned them for "safety" reasons it's not going to be safe to have you driving through without the proper permits to do so.

Again people do it and get away with it but lots more than anyone ever hears about get in trouble and that is almost always the animals seized. It just doesn't seem to make the news very often. A bit off topic but on the last subject. Lots of people get ferrets in CA and think that law is not enforced but it is. 100's of ferrets are confiscated every year and in their case most are just killed. But again it doesn't make the news normally so people think that means it's not happening.

Sorry for the disappointing news but it would be much worse to later have them taken from you due to a flat tire or ticket or something where they get discovered.


I can only imagine how heart broken i would be if i got attached to them and bonded with them and they were taken...I'm glad you brought this up.... It is disappointing... Maybe after we stop driving ina few years. .. We did find out that our state does not license them because they are not indigenous to the area. . Meaning they are legal...

I guess we will ask for our deposits back and wait...I saw they also sell coons and skunks but I'm assuming i would have the same problem with traveling...
User avatar
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10196
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Another newb here...

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:48 am

Yeah you run into the same issues with any exotic though more common things like a skunk or a hedgehog or more likely to be let go by the average officer but it can and does still happen. I've heard of truck drivers with skunks but yeah it's still a risk for anything not a common domestic.
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: Another newb here...

Postby Ash » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm sorry about that. It can be really hard to change your mind, especially once you've gotten your hopes up. But I think waiting a few years would be best, and I think that's a very responsible decision for you to make. Usually the best person to speak to is Dave since he is the breeder. Tammy is nice too and helps, but Dave is the one you would want to talk to if you have questions about foxes. I think Tammy helps bottle-feed and take deposits.

No fox actually stinks, but their urine is what is so pungent and skunk-like. Foxes will mark too--male or female, fixed or intact--so that would be bad if you were always driving. The truck would smell really bad. For arctics, you can let them out to go potty, but it would always have to be in a fenced-in yard, otherwise they'll most likely run off and never come back because they're so independent.

I'm sorry it won't work out, because foxes can be such a joy to have. Feel free to continue to ask questions and learn as much as you can prior to bringing a fox home. I hope that in a few years you'll be able to adopt some babies. :) Good luck.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
greenfire
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Another newb here...

Postby greenfire » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:24 am

Ash wrote:I'm sorry about that. It can be really hard to change your mind, especially once you've gotten your hopes up. But I think waiting a few years would be best, and I think that's a very responsible decision for you to make. Usually the best person to speak to is Dave since he is the breeder. Tammy is nice too and helps, but Dave is the one you would want to talk to if you have questions about foxes. I think Tammy helps bottle-feed and take deposits.

No fox actually stinks, but their urine is what is so pungent and skunk-like. Foxes will mark too--male or female, fixed or intact--so that would be bad if you were always driving. The truck would smell really bad. For arctics, you can let them out to go potty, but it would always have to be in a fenced-in yard, otherwise they'll most likely run off and never come back because they're so independent.

I'm sorry it won't work out, because foxes can be such a joy to have. Feel free to continue to ask questions and learn as much as you can prior to bringing a fox home. I hope that in a few years you'll be able to adopt some babies. :) Good luck.



All is not lost yet... The kits won't be born until May. .. We may decide to go ahead and get them for our daughter and she can raise them at home.... the breeders have been such an excellent source of information and we love the foxes... plus we may stop driving by then anyway. . Who knows... Well keep you guys updated!!
User avatar
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7830
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: Another newb here...

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Awesome. Yeah, be sure to let us know how everything goes. :) If you do get the kits, be sure to post plenty of pictures of them!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “INTRODUCTION”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest