PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Rhett The Steer

Hello!

Postby Rhett The Steer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:44 am

I just joined because I came across Oscar the steer. We started raising steers for beef a few years ago, and we've had a couple sent off to be slaughtered. It's sad because we've had them since just little guys, but anyways! We've had one steer (a Holstein named Rhett) since he was just a little fellow. He's actually not even the youngest or smallest we've had, but he certainly is a winner. He's won over our hearts to the point that if it's feasible, we will be keeping him as a pet. He is honestly the sweetest boy. If he sees us pull up to the pasture he moos and moos until we come see him. He loves to get his face and shoulders rubbed, and he will often try and lick us (which hurts on bare skin and knots up hair!). He's never been aggressive, and the only time he's not super friendly is when he gets special treats like grain and apples (in which case, he gets a little cranky and backs away from you until you leave him alone to eat in peace). For such a big boy (he's at least half a ton), he's absolutely terrified of pitchforks and our buggy whip. We use the buggy whip to keep him from creeping over to the grain when we give him some. Everyone absolutely adores him (my parents and younger sister), and we hope to have a long time with him. I haven't been able to find much about steers as pets. Lots of the stuff I ended up coming across were people with 4H steers that were turning aggressive. Our boy, Rhett, was castrated fairly young, I believe, and he was dehorned. I'll try to find some photos if anyone is interested. He's a cutie; that's for sure (especially since he has a speckled nose)!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Aaw, he sounds like a real gem. I would love to see pictures of Rhett. My grandpa's friend Kenny had a steer as a pet, and the steer was very friendly and loving. What was dangerous about it though was it didn't realize its size, so Kenny stopped going in with it after a while because it just didn't know its own strength. But whenever he would go to visit him, the steer would race up to the fence for pets. My grandpa said it was the funniest thing he'd seen, because it acted a lot like a dog--at least, that's how my grandpa described it.

Glad to have you here. Hopefully you'll be able to find some pictures to post.

Welcome to the forum. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Rhett The Steer

Postby Rhett The Steer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:37 pm

He's absolutely precious. He'll be two on February 2nd (I actually had to go check his ear tag because I couldn't remember how old he is). Despite being an estimated half-ton, he's never done much in the way of even being dangerous with his size. The only time he ever got overly excited and came running toward someone was when someone he adored had come to see him after a month of being away. And when that happened, we started reprimanding him when he approached us even a little quickly. Since then, he's been perfect. I have a couple recent pictures of him I'll add when I get to my laptop. I could probably also dig up a few from when we got him.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Rhett The Steer ,

welcome to sybils message board. really glad you joined us. I too look forward to seeing picture and more about your steer.
(please post in the cattle section when you do)

my Oscar is going to be 13 next march. he is a doll baby and never had any problems with him.
he has such a personality. I need to update his page, lots of new funny stories to post about him.

I personally think there are steers and cows than can make good pets. sounds like you got a winner.

again, thanks for joining us, and I am anxious to see his pictures and his adventures..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Rhett The Steer

Postby Rhett The Steer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks, Pat! I'd love to read more about Oscar. He's quite the cutie! We're picking him up a new companion tomorrow (a black Angus x Hereford steer who we named Trevor), although he's been quite fine being alone. He has the chickens for company. He's a bit of a goofball. I can't even think of a good example of how he's a goofball. I don't think it's one specific thing about him. It's more of an air he exudes. He's quite special. I'm curious to find out if Trevor will warm up to people at all because of being with Rhett, but Trevor is quite a bit older compared to when we got Rhett. And Trevor has lived with his father and mother since he was born (Rhett was weaned then sold to us, he got quite attached to our older mule as a calf). We'll find out! It'll be an experience getting a steer at an older age than we're used to!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 am

I hope Rhett will enjoy his new buddy. I think he will.

how friendly was Trevor with his previous family? it might take her a little while for adjustment.
but, overall, most cows seem friendly.

oscar grew up without another cow. he was and still is bonded to sybil(my black bear)
however, he got attached to my llamas too. the last lllama that diied, oscar go so very upset.
he stood over her body. anytime an animal dies, he always attends the funeral :lol:

he also loves fires. he looked so very funny when I would have an outdoor party, there was people standing around the fire, and there was oscar in between them. :lol:
will tell more on his page when I get time.

I am anxious to see pictures of your babies. hope you can post some soon.

I can move this whole topic over to the cattle forum, or if you want, you can start a new one there.
I hope to hear all updates of your babies..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:06 am

The tendency to be aggressive is largely due to breed. Its been too long for me to remember the specifics, but angus heifers were, I think, one that you needed to watch. Welcome to Sybils den and Merry Christmas/Happpy Holidays.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”