ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello everyone

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Circuit

Hello everyone

Postby Circuit » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 pm

I thought I had posted an introduction at some point, but apparently not. I figured I might as well make myself a bit more "official" with this post, considering I've been around for a while, mostly reading and not saying anything.

I grew up mostly around my father's birds as he didn't approve of much besides them and fish. I've rehabilitated some birds here and there, raised hatchlings to fledglings and so on. I bred diamond doves for a brief time before (regretfully) selling my flock. To this day I swear they are the only birds I would willingly have again.

Although birds have never really been my main focus. They don't usually appeal to me. I've had turtles in the past, the usual red-eared sliders (birthday gifts when I was very young) and a softshell that was dumped on me more recently. Rabbits, hamsters, rats and mice, I've had many and found myself allergic to the majority.

I presently have two ferrets, one of which was found tethered to a park bench with all of her things around six years ago. She's very at home now, but was untrusting of my ferrets at first. I have a ball python I adopted and two western hognoses my sister purchased. I also have two colonies of sugar gliders. Six of them total, FIVE of them boys, lol.

I'm itching for more reptiles and have many in mind as they're relatively easy to care for, but that will just have to wait until I can afford them.

And that's me, thanks for reading, I look forward to reading more about your exotics and experiences. icon-smile

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello everyone

Postby pat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:58 am

welcome to sybils den.

you have and had quite a collection.

we look forward to seeing picts and more info.

thanks for joining us
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Circuit

Postby Circuit » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:40 am

I suppose I have, but don't misunderstand. Most of the animals were given to me as gifts which always prompted me to read about them. Unfortunately my parents were not the researching sort, so I was usually on my own. When I entered high school I started rehoming animals. Namely my father's birds as he kept them in subpar conditions. Since I grew up around it it had seemed normal to me for the while before I had a computer and once I 'opened' my eyes so to speak, I was bent on finding them better homes despite his complaints. This was also when I opted to sell my flock of doves to a man I knew with a decent aviary so that I would be less overwhelmed.

Even the sugar gliders were gifts (albeit gifts I grew to love). They were the most recent and hopefully the last after I finally expressed what a terrible idea it was, giving an animal to a person who has never even heard of them before and may not even want them. I rehomed my father's last parrot (a sun conure), a red-eared slider my aunt's boyfriend had given to me in a corona box after I told him not to release it into the wild, and the softshell my grandmother left in my care after returning from vacation and deciding she didn't want it anymore. :shrug:

To say I was angry would be an understatement, but in the end it was better that way. An animal in the care of someone who doesn't want it usually suffers.

Anyway, sorry for my rambling, and thank you for the welcome.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi, and welcome to Sybil's Den!

Cool, you have hognoses! I have a hognose too, a male supposedly from a "red" line. What are yours like? Do you know the genders?

I find them very fun snakes. The fact that they bluffstrike instead of bite is really nice, and also very cute when they get all "huffy."

I have two ball pythons too. Do you have an outgoing one, or a shy one?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Circuit

Postby Circuit » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi, Ash! And thank you. Their names are Merlin and Freya, and they're both albinos het for axanthic that I mainly care for beside my sister. Merlin is a pale yellow while Freya has very nice dark orange to white contrasting. Merlin is a total HOG when it comes to eating and is the diva if not THE diva of the two. When he first arrived he wasn't sure if he should feign death or bluff so he kinda hiss-flopped and rolled over in my hands.

Freya is the calm one, and a very picky young lady too.

As for my ball, he's pretty shy. He's a standard, run of the mill ball. I'm not really sure of his age as I adopted him as an adult. But I credit him for sparking the passion for reptiles in me. He was a bit of a special case at first because he would ball up at the sight of food, but he's regained his confidence and even has a few fans at our local petstore.

And you have pieds! I love pieds. Do you intend to breed them in the future?

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:41 am

Circuit wrote:Hi, Ash! And thank you. Their names are Merlin and Freya, and they're both albinos het for axanthic that I mainly care for beside my sister. Merlin is a pale yellow while Freya has very nice dark orange to white contrasting. Merlin is a total HOG when it comes to eating and is the diva if not THE diva of the two. When he first arrived he wasn't sure if he should feign death or bluff so he kinda hiss-flopped and rolled over in my hands.

Freya is the calm one, and a very picky young lady too.

As for my ball, he's pretty shy. He's a standard, run of the mill ball. I'm not really sure of his age as I adopted him as an adult. But I credit him for sparking the passion for reptiles in me. He was a bit of a special case at first because he would ball up at the sight of food, but he's regained his confidence and even has a few fans at our local petstore.

And you have pieds! I love pieds. Do you intend to breed them in the future?

Neat! Are you planning on breeding the hognoses? I'm too scared to breed my hog since they're natural cannibals, and I'd just be too sad to lose my little Dragon.

As for the pieds, yes! I definitely do plan to breed them. The female isn't a good weight yet, so I need to get her bigger first. The male Jones is proven and supposedly an eager breeder, so hopefully once Indiana is ready he won't waste anytime. ;)

Your ball python sounds so cute. My female is very shy, but my male is extremely outgoing. The ball pythons are such great snakes. I've just fallen in love with them because they're so dumb, it's adorable, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Circuit

Postby Circuit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 pm

We're going to breed them somewhere down the road, yes. After reading about cannabilism and seeing pictures that some breeders put up, I'll admit it does worry us. I just have to wonder how common that is and hope for the best while taking what precautions we can.

There's plenty of time to make plans though, which is why we wanted neonates to start with. They won't be ready for a couple of years so in the meantime we can continue to read other peoples' experiences and work off of that, and of course if we ever have our doubts we aren't obligated to breed them.

Indiana Jones, that's so cute. And Jones sounds like quite a character too, lol. It was intimidating when I first brought Motley home as he was my first snake but he was and continues to be such a dummy that the initial intimidation just seemed silly. He really is a good boy. :lol:

And you have a Cal King too? What's he like, if it's not a bother?

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 pm

The cannibalism will become less of a problem once you drop the temperatures, because they will go off feed and not be hungry once it's cooler. When you drop the temps, you'll continue to offer food until you're sure they won't take it, and then it will be safer to put them in together. The extreme size difference between males and females though just makes me so worried for my little male! I feel like a female could swallow him in one bite.

Oh boy, the kingsnake is a monster, lol. His name is "The Baron." His previous owner named him "Satan," if that's any indication of his personality. He is extremely aggressive and loves to eat. A few owners ago he was housed with several other kingsnakes, and if there are any snakes known for cannibalism, it's kings. The Baron ate his cage mates, and then was rehomed a few times. He's a great eater though--he'll take whatever is put in front of him, even if it's a human. He'll eat when he's in shed too. It's funny because he gets very twitchy and goes into "hunting" mode when there is any movement around him. He'll stalk the ball pythons from behind the glass, and even people, lol. When my family comes to visit they think he is creepy, but I love him.
Circuit

Postby Circuit » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I've heard kings were like that. I guess The Baron lives up to their reputation, lol. And he hunts people, that's adorable! I'm more keen on honduran milksnakes and cornsnakes but since my sister is so fond of California kings, I just had to ask. It must be nice to have at least ONE snake that eats consistently and with so much gusto though, lol.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”