PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Greetings!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sanuye

Greetings!

Postby Sanuye » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Greetings everyone! My name is Sanuye, and I love love love animals! I've grown up around critters of all types and currently have 2 ball pythons, 2 carpet pythons, 1 red tailed boa, 2 geckos, 1 skink, and 2 fishtanks. I also live with a Rottweiler, three cats, and a parakeet. I hope to have many more pets in the future! I'm interested in pretty much every animal, though I tend to be more of a dog person than a cat person (though I love cats too!). I've volunteered on and off for 4 years at an animal sanctuary that takes care of wolves, wolfdogs, coyotes, foxes, big cats, and small exotics like prairie dogs. I love volunteering there when I have the time and am overjoyed at the experience and knowledge I have gained. Anyway, I'm happy to be here and feel free to ask me anything you like! :mrgreen:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings!

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi! It's great to have you here. Welcome. :)

It sounds like you're getting a lot of experience with exotic animals. That will be invaluable experience. I would love to be able to find a place to volunteer at with wolves.

Sounds like you've got quite the menagerie already. ;) I love snakes too. I have four right now--2 ball pythons, 1 western hognose, and 1 Cal king. They're great, but the kingsnake is a stinky one.

Are you hoping to one day own any exotics yourself? What do you think you would get?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Sanuye

Postby Sanuye » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Thank you very much!

Yeah, I'm really lucky to have a sanctuary like that so close to home. I love working with them, and getting to know their distinct personalities. I'm also glad to get so much information, because I love learning about animals and it's so much better to get hands-on with animals you want to own one day.

Yep, they're my precious babies! I love my snakes, though right now we're trying to get rid of some mites and one of our ball pythons just passed last night. Needless to say, I cried. That's awesome that you have your own! Snakes are such wonderful pets. I want a hognose so bad! Our red tail is the stinker in our family. We're actually trying to sell her because we don't have the room for her right now because she's about 5 feet.

Oh, I want so many exotics! My list is like 3 pages long (I really like making lists lol)! I'm lucky enough to be in a relationship with a man who loves animals as much as me, and we plan on having many companions, including (but not limited to) wolfdogs and wolves, big cats, lemurs, horses, dogs, cats, reptiles of all kinds, birds, small animals, and lots of fishtanks! I'd also really love a kinkajou! I could go on all day long, which is why I wanted to join on here. It's so nice to be around people who don't judge you for your choice in companion animal.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm sorry about your ball. :( I hope the other one is okay.

Mites aren't so bad, just a pain to deal with. Here's an article that will help you know how to get rid of them: http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/dealing-with-snake-mites/

I suggest that when you return it to its original cage, to put paper towels on the bottom instead of other kinds of substrate though. That way, you'll be able to see if you actually got rid of the mites because they'll show up against the white. Hope it all works out for you and the snake.

I want a red-tail boa so bad, but I want to wait until I'm raising my own feeders. My parents are currently looking after some red-tails for several months that belong to a friend of the family--full grown, huge female and sub-adult male. My parents were kind and while they aren't thrilled to care for them, I wish I lived closer because I would have been so excited to give them a temporary home.

When you do wind up getting a hognose, be sure to get a western since they're not picky eaters. Easterns are less common in the pet trade, but they eat frogs. Also, get a female if you want something "substantial" to hold. The males stay teensy-tiny, and I didn't know that when I first brought mine home. The size-difference between the sexes is quite funny. http://www.uniqueserpents.com/images/Hognose/Heterodon%20n.%20nasicus,%20male%20and%20female,%20A1,%201000c.jpg

Oh, I have a long list too of animals I want. :P I think everybody here does, lol. We started a thread in the "general" section where we post pictures of all the animals on our wishlists. It's interesting to see what everybody likes.

You're lucky you've got a man like that! I'm still single, and I have a feeling I'm going to stay that way for a long time due to my animal interests, lol.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Which sanctuary are you volunteering at?
Sanuye

Postby Sanuye » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

@Ash
Thanks, I'm going to miss her terribly. I actually still have two, she was my third, and they're both very healthy.

Thanks for the link and tips! We've just ordered some anti-mite stuff, so we'll be taking care of the problem shortly.

Most red tails are very sweet, but I don't think this one was handled much when she was raised. She snaps at us quite a bit and we just don't have the time to work with her, so we're looking for an experienced owner to take good care of her. I do love red tails, that's why I bought her, but her attitude changed drastically from when I first held her to now.

I didn't know that about hognoses, I'll be sure to get a western female! That male is tiny! I actually have a friend who breeds them, which is pretty cool. Myself and my boyfriend plan on starting a breeding program for our ball pythons and carpet pythons when we have a house of our own, and plan on breeding feeders as well since it's so much cheaper.

I'll have to check out that thread, sounds like fun! I just want to make sure I can take care of the animals I want before I get them - I want to spoil my pets, not hoard them lol. It's a fear of mine that I'll get in over my head, so I'm being particularly careful. The fact that my boyfriend keeps me in check is a good thing too. I'm so glad I have him, my other relationships went south because of many reasons, but lack of love of animals was one of them. He actually is planning on going to school to become a veterinarian for exotics, which would make having our companions that much easier! You never know, someone with just as much animal interest might come along lol.

@Cindy
Thanks! I volunteer at the Shy Wolf Sanctuary.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Oh that's cool. Do you know Deanna Deppin there?

Got my boy Loki from a Sanctuary there in Florida. He's from St. Augustine wild reserve.
Sanuye

Postby Sanuye » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:Oh that's cool. Do you know Deanna Deppin there?

Got my boy Loki from a Sanctuary there in Florida. He's from St. Augustine wild reserve.

Yep, I know Deanna. I've worked with her a lot. That's pretty awesome, is Loki a wolfdog or wolf? Do you have any pictures?
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 pm

He's a high content wolfdog

I have quite a few pics of him and my female in the hybrid section of the forum, here
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=6997
and here
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11350

Theres a ton more too threw out that section.
Sanuye

Postby Sanuye » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Cindy23323 wrote:He's a high content wolfdog

I have quite a few pics of him and my female in the hybrid section of the forum, here
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=6997
and here
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11350

Theres a ton more too threw out that section.

Wow, they're gorgeous!
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Thank you

Return to “INTRODUCTION”