PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Just saying Hello

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

iris

Just saying Hello

Postby iris » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi, I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself and animals.

I have a full house of 4 dogs and 2 cats. My cats are 6 month old kittens, pretty typical. They were both rescues. My hubby found a litter of stray cats under a brick pile at his parent's house and naturally my youngest son begged for a kitten. I didn't want to bring one home (I'm not really a cat person) but he pleaded and won. We brought home the little black one and he named her Halloween because it was almost October. He thought she needed a kitty friend so we adopted a little rescue kitten to be her friend. He is half rex and all trouble. His name is Pippin and he eats things.

Then I have Duke, the almost 8 year old American Bulldog. He has been with our family since he was a year old. His original family didn't treat him very well but he is very happy here. He is a beautiful and loyal dog, very patient with other animals and kids. He adores my youngest son who he follows around the house. I always tell people I couldn't raise my youngest son without Duke, he has special needs and Duke has always picked up the slack making sure he is calm and regulated.

Our second oldest dog is a little rescued chihuahua terrier mix named Blue. She is 6 years old and has been with us since she was a tiny 1 week old puppy. We fostered her entire family, mama and all the puppies. She is sort of funny looking but she is sweet. All she wants is a lap to cuddle in and some one to talk nice to her. We call her the old man dog because she has a beard (it gets fuller all of the time). She is my oldest son's best friend, they sit on the couch together while he reads.

Then there is my best buddy Remus. He is a 1year old Carolina Dog. He is only second generation domestic bred and quite quirky. His grandfather and grandmother were both feral dogs, his father came from a feral pack as well so his genetics are a bit iffy. There could be other dogs in there or even coyote or maybe wolf but that is probably unlikely. He is a bit oversized for many of the standards I've read and he has a slightly thicker coat. He needs a long jog every day (hard right now because I had a fall during our last ice storm that messed up my knee) and he still has a lot of excess energy. He learns quickly but he tends to try to anticipate what he thinks I want. He likes people but he is a bit shy. He adores other dogs but barks when he sees them from far away. A friend of mine has a pair of wolves that he loves to run with. We take them out to run loose at the lake. The big difference in personality tends to be that he wants to hang close to me and won't range as far as they do. He also pinches me when he is really happy. :shock:

For my birthday this year my hubby brought home a low-content little wolf dog girl. She is definitely on the very low end but she is pretty anyway. She is the result of a questionable owner who accidentally allowed their unfixed mid-content (who they swore was high-content of course) wolf dog to be bred by their great dane/american bulldog mix. Like I said very low content but surprisingly she didn't seem to get any of the mastiff traits, at least we haven't seen any. She has been a real pain to house break though.

I had a mid-content wolf dog as a teen-young adult. I ran across the breeder when I was living on the Ren circuit and wanted a traveling companion. Legal or not he owned a Red wolf and a malamute that he had bred together and was selling the pups. I met the wolf that was the father and he was either actually a wolf or a very high content wolf dog. This was middle of nowhere TX so owning illegal exotics is not particularly uncommon. I would say he was a wonderful dog but looking back on life with him that is really a lie. He was a wonderful companion for that point in my life but if I described life with him most people would say he was a terrible "dog". He didn't do tricks, follow commands or walk on a leash. He was housebroken (when we stayed in a house) and he was incredibly loyal.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just saying Hello

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :) Sounds like you have a fun little family.

I think Carolina dogs are very interesting. I really like the pariah types. Would love to see a picture of Remus if you have the time to post it. ;)

We have several owners here with low contents too. It sounds like you've done your research when it comes to wolfdogs--so many people with husky/malamute/GSD mixes think they've got a full-blooded wolf. He sounds like a fun little wolfdog. :) What's her name?

Thanks for hopping on. We love hearing from new people.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Welcome to the forum, from a fellow wolfdog owner :icon-wink:
iris

Postby iris » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I was very excited to find this forum, it is rare to see a forum welcome to so many kinds of animals.

Here is Remus. I'm pretty crazy about him.

He is my workout buddy, I can't take a break because I know he needs the outlet. I'm hoping to try taking him biking soon. I think it would be a great thing for him though I have to admit I've never been so keen on bikes myself.

I can't believe I forgot to mention my little girl's name. We decided to name her Freyja after much debate (I wanted to call her Freki but I was overruled). I am almost embarrassed to post pictures of her as I don't know that she looks very "wolfy". Her mother certainly had the wolfy appearance but was obviously midcontent, high mid at best. She had been sold as 98%
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Oh don't feel bad. My first wolfdogs that I ended up getting was sold to me as a 97.5% back when I was wolfdog stupid, and I fell for it big time. Ended up meeting a lot of wolf/wolfdog owners and learned what to look for as to not get taken again and ended up with two true high contents later on. Its happens to most the people out there.

Here's Nya my first that was misrepresented

and this is Loki

and this is Selene

iris

Postby iris » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Thank you. Your wolf dogs are beautiful. I have a thing for the boys, I hope someday to have another male but it will have to wait a while. Right now I don't think Remus could live with being "replaced" even if he really wasn't. :lol:

Here is Freyja in all her fluffy glory.

Like I said, she doesn't really look "wolfy" at all though she has enormous feet (of course her father is a great dane/american bulldog cross so big feet aren't a shock). If I were to believe the woman who bred her she should be mid content/low mid content but obviously she is low content. I do believe her mother had wolf in her, I just think she was way over represented. I also don't think the woman was purposefully misrepresenting her at all, I think she was lied to when she purchased her own dog. She was essentially giving the puppies away because the breeding was accidental so while I fault her for poor pet stewardship choices I don't think she really had much to gain by misrepresenting her wolf dog. She had CKC papers but those aren't worth a lot. The breeder was one I had never heard of before. But I got a pretty, sweet puppy who is only sort of trying to devour all of the wood work in my house. She cuddles really nice though and makes a great playmate for Remus.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Ooh she's pretty! Her little face is so cute, and I just love the white markings on her. I like the name Freyja too--it's very suitable for her, I think. :)

You should post pictures of her as she grows up. One of our members here did that with her low content Echo in the wolfdog thread, and it's really neat. He starts out a puppy, then grows right up before your eyes.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:49 am

She's really cute
iris

Postby iris » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:26 am

Thank you, I am interested to see what she will look like when she grows up. She seems to change overnight. We will be going back to the vet for her last round of vaccinations tomorrow and I am excited to see how much weight she has gained. Last time it was 5lbs, she is so much bigger than she was when we brought her home 4 weeks ago.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”