PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

hi this is me and my red fox :)

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

snoball

hi this is me and my red fox :)

Postby snoball » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 am

Hi thought that i'd better introduce myself cos i've been lurking and reading some fantastic stuff in these boards :)

i'm donna and I currently have a red foxdog - i've had him for just over 4 years and can honestly say it was the best move i ever made in getting him. i've had him since he was 6weeks old and he's house trained, allowed to go off leash cos he never strays too far away from me anyways.

"Jake" loves his teddybears and he eats anything really, never had any issues around destruction of household items and he's pretty quiet for a fox :) hates people that come to my house - put simpy it's his territory and i can live with that. i'm a solitary type of person which i think helps cos very few people come to my house which means that he has a very quiet chilled out environment.

it took me around 10months to get him to "go" outside to do his one's n two's and yup they stink real bad lol :)

he eats a mix of liquidised raw chicken with a cupfull of pigs blood through it and that is mixed with bakers dog biscuit and winalot tinned food - he loves the mix and wolfs the lot :)

i've drawn really lucky where the vets are concerned cos they love him to bits and i think that they just treat him like any other dog and he's fully vaccinated including boosters every year without problems i even give him worming tablets --- i didn't really know too much when i got him so i treated him like a dog but it's more than that.

walkies is around 20miles per day every day - i found that he needed it cos he likes exploring and chasing the local cats and mop mops (rabbits) which i find funny - he always comes back though which is good.

he's good with people and i often get people stopping me in the street so they can take piccies of him with his teddybear in his mouth - doesn't bother either of us. i made a point of getting him used to people, traffic - still doesn't like trucks and busses - and other situations but if truth be told i tend to use more back routes where he can have a mooch and a run around.

i saw a silver fox about a year ago and have decided now is the time to locate a breeder or a broker that can get one for me if anyone on these boards can help me please let me know.

thankyou
donna and jake "jakeyboy"
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hi this is me and my red fox :)

Postby pat » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:39 pm

hi donna,

welcome.

I am very confused when you said you leave your fox off the leash. never heard of that before.
have never heard of any of the fox owners (even the russian ones) that could leave their fox loose.
also, having him house trained.

also, the 20 mile run :shrug: did you accidentally put the wrong number, you actually mean 20 miles?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Elina

Postby Elina » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi!

I was just wondering about the "he eats a mix of liquidised raw chicken with a cupfull of pigs blood through it and that is mixed with bakers dog biscuit and winalot tinned food".
Why do you liquidize the chicken and add pigs blood? Is he toothless?

Mine eat either Gizmo burgers (a fox specific ground, raw meal) or whole prey which they have no issues with.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
snoball

Postby snoball » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:03 am

hi :)

the offleash bit - i train sheepdogs for a living and didn't have a scooby as to what to do with him so i just started the same way i do with a collie let it go and then start putting words to it's movements so if it wanders left i tell it to "comeby" (concumby) and if it goes right i tell it to "walkaway - (conay)"- i've had him running and playing off leash since i first got him at 6weeks - i literally just put him on the ground and let him explore - i just supervise him full time - gotta have eyes in the back of your head but i like it like this. i found that if i watched him and then if he went somewhere i didn't want him to go i gripped him by the scruff and put him where i did want him to be --- his mom would've done it that way.

in my vastly limited and at times fruitless endeavours i found that if i trusted jake then it worked so much better than if i tried to make him do what i wanted --- different people have different ways of doing things according to what experience has taught them. i've been training border collies for 30years (i was seven when i went to a sheepfarm on holiday and ended up working the farm dogs). to me my fox was just another "sheepdog" i know now that what i did and the way i did it was a bit too intense for jake to handle - i should've allowed more playtime and stuff instead he got at least 4hours of pure training right from the start cos that's what i thought was needed and that was with the benefit of hindsight a bit excessive.
the exercise bit - it's 20miles over 4 walks. he loves going to the meadows near where i live - it's all fully enclosed and i've NEVER had any serious problems with him - this is just how i brought him up, he likes to play and cos there's only me and jake all his attention is focussed on me so it's upto me to make every walk fun :)

his food is cos he likes it that way nothing more - he play kills it if it's solid - fun to watch but not so good for my floors. i've found that the dog food just makes him stink a bit less --- for me it's been a real case of trial and error - before i got jake i'd never had a fox never knew much either, real steep learning curve for me and i've had to make it work with the limited knowledge that i had.

i would advise other people not to do it this way.
Last edited by snoball on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:36 am

You must have plenty of photos you can share? :)
snoball

Postby snoball » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:43 am

hiya :)

it keeps telling me that my pics are too large to post --- so frustrating icon-sad
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:33 am

You can make a photobucket account and upload to there then here. That is what I do, it seems to be easier :-).
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:56 am

snoball,

feel free to email me the pictures, and I will adjust them for you, and send them back to you so
you can post the pictures. sybil@sybilsden.com
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
snoball

Postby snoball » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:53 am

i'll have a crack at photobucket and if that doesn't want to work then i'll fill pat's inbox instead :)

had a crack with photobucket but nothing happened :( i'm not a techy at all lol :) shhow me a sheepdog and say go do your stuff - that i got no problems with at all, sort of know what it is that i'm meant to do lol :) someone gave me instructions about how to do it and i still didn't understand it :mrgreen:

so patget ready i've dug up some of the first shots of him - in the pics he seems huge but in reality he's not that big - just mega furry at times - also i take fairly close range shots and i don't have that many of him either

donna
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Can't wait to see him!! icon-smile
snoball

Postby snoball » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

what i wrote in my opening statementt which was written on the back of what i had been told and now has been viewed by PAT and he's sent his comments back to me.

it is i had initially thought jake's more dog than fox, he's got some of the fox traits

i can't post the pics that PAT sent back to me cos it says that they're still too big and puter doesn't go any smaller than 640 x 480.

which you'll notice - in the 30years that i've been around sheepdogs i have never ever seen a fox red and white - never - in over 100 years of documented colours and there are a lot of them there has never been a fox red. the only way that a fox red collie could exist is if a fox had been deliberately crossed with a collie - something that i really can't see happening although he is welsh so anything is possible.

this has been talked about a lot over the years between me other farmers and at auction houses it was the rspca in warrington that told me what he was and that has been corrected by PAT using his expertise in this matter.

as for foxes on the loose - never a good idea around farmland - they're wild animals and need taming properly. i do know of one red fox in Grassmere in the lakes that spends half of it's time on her living room sofa cos i did a job in skandale and stayed there a few years back.

i do however think that with the right approach it could be done but it'd be hit and miss as to what would happen --- i'm not saying go out and let it loose now pat's said what he's said --- it'd be a challenge maybe fun but tense. suppose it also depends on where you live and the environment that it's in.

tbh i'm not a big fan of caging anything but all the foxes that are listed on here have exceptional homes to live in with outstanding owners.

thankyou pat for the e-mail :)

donna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Hey!
I have seen the photos now and your animal is 100% a dog. Dogs and foxes cannot breed so he is a dog, not a fox dog or anything like that. (A very pretty dog might I add).

I removed your post on the fox forum about letting your "fox" run around off lead as this is not something people can do with actual foxes. I hope you understand.

I do actually train my dogs and foxes the same way, clicker and positive reinforcement but you cannot allow them off lead as much like a husky or any other strong willed dog with a high prey drive they WILL run away, no matter how loved they are.

Enclosures are required for fox so that they can burn off excess energy while not utterly destroying your home when you are out/sleeping. Many of us have our fox in the house when we are home or we spend a great deal of time in their enclosures.

Oh and Pat is a woman :icon-wink: . Just a little heads up there hehe.
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Dogs are incapable of being crossed with foxes. It's simply not possible in any way shape or form. They're in separate genuses despite being in the same family.

Domestic dogs, coyotes, wolves, Ethiopian wolves and golden jackals can interbreed.

Side-striped jackals, black-backed jackals, Dholes, and African wild dogs cannot produce offspring with domestic dogs

You've got a 100% dog on your hands, sorry to say. A lot of professional organizations, even the RSPCA, don't always know what species of animal is what.

edit: Elina beat me to it!
snoball

Postby snoball » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 am

thankyou all so much for the clarity and for spelling out what i thought :)

i just went by what i was told and that's been shot down :)

i am in no way offended by any of the remarks that have been made and the clarity and expertise that has gone with the replies is most welcome :)

thankyou - i will as pat said put my DOGGY in the DOG forum.

pat has said some other things that i fully agree with and i'm sure that she will agree with what i've since written.

i'm here to learn and try and understand them more ---- still would love red or silver fox though :)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 am

She's still a very pretty collie.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”