ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hello

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

freedumbdclxvi

Hello

Postby freedumbdclxvi » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Hello. My name is Dustin, and I came across this board while studying up on raccoons as pets. I decided to join today after finally picking up a beautiful young boy. :). I also own a two year old male skunk, as well as two cats, nine snakes, a pair of black tree monitors, a female uromastyx and a host of tarantulas, true spiders and scorpions. I have a seven year old son and a fiancée who both share a passion and love for animals.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Postby pat » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:58 am

welcome to sybilsden.

wow, you have quite a collection of pets.

I would love to hear more about your raccoon. (my favorites)

please post some pictures and info in the raccoon forum.

of course the others critters in the matching forum.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:37 am

What part of the country (world??) do you live in?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Welcome nice to see someone with skunks here.
freedumbdclxvi

Postby freedumbdclxvi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks for the replies and welcome! I will get some pics of my kit and get them posted. I live in South Florida, so I have my Class III permit for the kit and skunk. (I also am meeting with Florida Wildlife tomorrow to finalize a couple of other permits as well.)

I have loved skunks since I was a child, and I always loved reading and studying up on them. A couple years ago, my fiancée surprised me by taking me to and buying me my boy Meap on Father's Day. I must say he is the best pet I have ever owned. :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 am

Hi, and welcome. Sounds like quite a group of critters! What kinds of snakes do you have? I love ball pythons.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
freedumbdclxvi

Postby freedumbdclxvi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Hello! I have a number of boas, an emerald tree boa, Dumeril's boa, a corn and a normal ball. Per my meeting with Florida Fish and Wildlofe yesterday I am approved to own the conditional species. Once I have the paperwork in hand, I'll be looking into picking up a young male green anaconda, a couple retics and a Burm. My current largest is my Dumeril's who's a bit over 7' and weighs 30+ pounds. My preference is to get a handleable Burm to give me that extra bit of daily hands on for the more tempermental greens and retics.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:06 am

freedumbdclxvi wrote:Hello! I have a number of boas, an emerald tree boa, Dumeril's boa, a corn and a normal ball. Per my meeting with Florida Fish and Wildlofe yesterday I am approved to own the conditional species. Once I have the paperwork in hand, I'll be looking into picking up a young male green anaconda, a couple retics and a Burm. My current largest is my Dumeril's who's a bit over 7' and weighs 30+ pounds. My preference is to get a handleable Burm to give me that extra bit of daily hands on for the more tempermental greens and retics.

Oh, cool. I didn't realize they were still giving permits out in Florida for the burms or other giant ones. :) That's great that you're going to be able to get those. What are the requirements for owning them down there?

I'm currently looking at a golden child retic male for sale right now. It's just a baby, but I'm worried that they're going to get added to the Lacey Act like the burms did :cry:. I'd like to go snatch one up before that happens so I can be sure to get the morph I want.

What retic morphs are you thinking about getting? The pieds are my fav before the golden childs, but they sure are expensive! $25,000 ain't in my budget anytime too soon. :P :lol:

You sound like more of a boa person (judging by what you currently own). I really like pythons best over boas, I think. Anacondas are neat, but not for me; maybe some day in the future, but I like retics better.

I'd like a GTP someday, but I'm sure intimidated by the setup they require! What's your tree boa's setup like?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
freedumbdclxvi

Postby freedumbdclxvi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 pm

The requirements they asked for were sturdy enclosures with locks plus labeling with both the species name and a warning: dangerous reptile. I also have to give updates on my stock every six months. The golden child is one I am wanting, too. Titaniums and ivories are also near the top of the list. I'd love a pied or cow but I also don't have the $20K to drop lol.

I do tend to prefer boas over pythons, but I'm wanting to expand into them. I really wish Burms would get taken off the Lacey Act - there are so many amazing morphs that are just out of reach.

Currently, I have my ETB in a 12" x 12" x 18" Exo Terra with a live bromeliad and numerous branches. I have a 6500k light for the plant and a 25w bulb that gives it a mid to high 80s basking spot with a range of 75 - 82 or so at various branch heights. It's just starting to come out of its red coloring - so beautiful. Feeding on hoppers - that was an absolutely interesting thing to watch. They have such a unique way of hunting.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:50 pm

I hope burms get removed too. Not enough people fought against that since nobody thought it would ever happen. Then, when it did, people were outraged, but it was too late. At least now people know how serious these laws can be. It's such a shame it started with burms though, since they can be so docile.

So does Florida not require microchipping in them then? I had heard they were thinking about doing that.

Titaniums are lovely. I love the variability in them.

Neat about the emerald tree boa. :) I saw one at an expo I went to a month or two ago, and it was beautiful. Are they as feisty as the GTPs, do you know?

Return to “INTRODUCTION”