PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hello

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Faolchú

Hello

Postby Faolchú » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi, newbie here. My name's Sinead, I'm 23 years old and I live in England. I've had an interest in exotic animals (especially mammals) for years. I've been looking into various ones that would fit in my current life style (and you know, my bank account haha), a few I really like but I plan on studying them more to find the best fit. I'm also not in the ideal place for one right now anyway, so it may be in another few years. I plan on getting something simpler like a fox (love them!) first, I won't be jumping into something crazy like a big cat, but my dream animals would be a wolf pack - maybe a long time in the future if I'm able to make lots of money and get plenty of hands on experience. A person can dream, right?

Currently I have a dog and a cat, and I'm looking after my brothers turtle while he's at uni.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :) It's great to have another UK member here, and I hope you stick around!

Your dream of having a wolf pack is actually quite doable as long as you get all your ducks in a row and get proper experience first. The laws in England are a lot more relaxed than in the US, it seems. Wolves can make really good exotic pets when you can provide for them properly. You should go check out Cindy's high-content wolfdogs in the wolfdog forum here.

Starting with a fox and then working your way up is the way to go. What species of fox are you most interested in? I have a red fox, and I love him to bits, but I really like all the different species.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Faolchú

Postby Faolchú » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Ash :)

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the animal laws for any changes in the Dangerous Wild Animals act, and I've searched a little into applications and such in the area I live but not seriously yet as I'm still a long way off.

I've been reading up on wolves since I was a kid (fell in love with them when I was 8 and saw a picture of them for the first time at a library) - biology, behaviour, history of the species, etc., and do want to get some volunteer work in when I'm able. Unfortunately there really aren't many wolves in the UK so it might be tough. If it doesn't work out here, I might try to save up to volunteer abroad.

I've done a lot of looking into wolfdogs and do really love high contents, but they're even rarer than pure wolves here. I've been able to speak with a few wolfdog owners for first hand advice though, which was really good.

Still, I'm not in any rush, it's certainly something I'd need to take my time with if wolf ownership is something I pursue.

As for foxes, I do really like the reds (and their morphs) and would be interested. I've mostly had a look at red's, corsac's and fennec's as these are the only ones I've really come across in the UK. I still need to do more research into them, but so far I think a corsac may fit my situation the best.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Our other corsac owner here loves all her corsacs and is able to keep them indoors. Maybe check out some threads in the fox forum started by "Elina." You can oogle at her foxes then. ;)

I wish corsacs were available over here in the US, but they're more a UK fox it seems.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Faolchú

Postby Faolchú » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

I'll check out Cindy and Elina's threads, thanks.

Yeah, I like gray foxes, but unfortunately they aren't in the UK. (Not to my knowledge anyway.)
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:30 am

Welcome to the forum
Faolchú

Postby Faolchú » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi, Cindy. Sorry for the (two month!) late reply. Hectic time, then no internet connection - but thank you for the welcome :)

Return to “INTRODUCTION”