PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Intro

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

DaniJo21

Intro

Postby DaniJo21 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Hello all! I'm Dani - a new member as of tonight. I was actually looking to join an exotic group on Facebook, but had to look elsewhere for lack of choices :)

My adventures in exotic ownership started many moons ago. When I was very young, my grandfather bred love birds and my dad kept a couple 120g cichlid tanks. I had ducks in the house, a tarantula, hamsters, ferrets, and gerbils (among tamer things). I began breeding African pygmy dormice, Egyptian spiny mice, striped grass mice, and short-tailed opossums when I was 8 years old. In high school, I started doing wildlife rehabilitation, and by college I was state and federally licensed. I've rehabbed the majority of species native to the Southeast (including raptors and reptiles).

I received my BS in wildlife and my veterinary degree from Mississippi State. During my first year of vet school, I traveled to South Africa for a conservation medicine course where I met my husband who is a boarded wildlife vet. After graduating, he talked me into (wasn't hard) moving to South Africa where I joined his wildlife practice. We moved back to the states due to financial reasons, and settled in Texas in July.

We are soon adding a genet to our home, and although I have researched them forwards and backwards, I feel like you can never hear enough from people who actually own them. I always tell my exotic owner clients that the best pieces of information about critters I learned from tough life experience! I currently have 3 borzoi who I show, a silken windhound, a mutt, several cats, and a colony of multimammate mice. I've been fortunate enough to work with most of the African cats (lion, leopard, cheetah, several, caracal, wild cats), black and white rhino, giraffe, zebra, buffalo, the majority of the antelope species as well as some of the interesting smaller wildlife. I'm excited to share my passion with people who share it and hopefully learn many new things along the way!!
Alynn

Re: Intro

Postby Alynn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the board! I think it's always awesome when we have people like vets and breeders joining the board.

I love borzois (sighthounds of any kind really) and I would love to see pictures. I had also never heard of a silken windhound before!
You can post here, in the pictures forum, or the domestic canine forum. If you need any help, let me know.
DaniJo21

Postby DaniJo21 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

I'll *try* to post them in the domestic canine forum. Technology often defeats me - it just took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get an avatar :P
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 am

Welcome.

If you haven't seen https://www.facebook.com/pages/Our-Spot ... 6204061212 well, you should go look then.

I kind of want an Irish Wolf Hound, someday when I have lots of money(only kind of not due to the life span).
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:16 am

Hey, I'm not the only one into vet med on here! :lol: Welcome to the board. I'm with Alynn, I love sighthounds. Pictures are pretty easy to embed if you already have them uploaded to another website (like facebook or instagram), but I'm with you on technology past that.

While I can't be of any help with the genet, I wish you the best! Small wild cats are out of my league at the moment. There is some information on them on here though. :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
DaniJo21

Postby DaniJo21 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 am

Thank you for the link on FB - now following their posts!

If you want a big sighthound that has a reasonable lifespan, let me highly recommend a borzoi (not that I'm prejudice or anything).

I am going back and reading all the genet info...hopefully I'll catch the breeder online. She may actually know the person I'm getting my baby from as they are also in Texas. If it was up to my husband, we would have lions in the backyard and rhino in the front. We are currently renting and looked at an 18 acre piece of property today - his first question was "are there any animal restrictions out here?". Sigh, the pitfalls of marrying someone raised in the bush :P
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 01, 2014 12:48 am

If I were going to get a sight hound that's not a wolfhound I'd go for a smooth short coat instead. A neighbor had the Irish Wolfhounds when I was a kid. They are great dogs and I like their scruffy appearance though they scared me a bit due it it and size at first. They looked especially huge since I was little.

I'm actually dead set on a basenji. I was going to get one after my last dog died but then Beaker came along and needed me. For now I limit myself to two dogs but when I move it can be different. If I get some land I may also get an Anatolian Shepherd though those aren't sight hounds.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 am

Wow, welcome to the forum! You have had some amazing experiences, and it must have been so special to be able to work with some of those animals in a veterinary setting. You and your husband sound like you make an excellent team, and what a bonus to have the same interests. I need to marry someone like that, lol. ;)

Have you heard of Our Spotted Genets? The lady is a member here, though she doesn't hop on anymore. But she has a facebook page you could look at. I really love how genets look, but I don't think I'd ever get one myself. They kind of intimidate me a bit. I've heard you need to get them while they're still super young and on the bottle in order to get the best results when they're adults.

Texas seems like a pretty good place for exotics, aside from owning fur-bearers though. There's a lot of exotic owners down there.

That'd be amazing if you could move out to some land with lots of acres. Then you could probably get your lions and rhinos, lol. ;)

EDIT: Ah, never mind, heehee. TamanduaGirl posted a link to their page. :P
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:01 am

Welcome to the forum
DaniJo21

Postby DaniJo21 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:29 am

Ash - I'm hoping for a "tamer" genet, but we are realistic in our expectations. The person I am purchasing from pulls them at 10 days to start bottle feeding. I feel that is a little young, but she has been doing it for years and it is the age that she has had the best results. I requested that it not go to another party to be bottle fed for a couple of weeks (she does this before placing them so they are acclimated to the bottle) and instead go straight to me. Not that I don't trust someone else to do a good job, I've just raised enough babies that I know my experience is comparable :) The husband says a lot of people use them as mousers in SA.

I have a great story behind the reason we settled on a genet. My second day in Africa, we were all sitting around the campfire drinking. After I had liquid courage, I asked my then instructor (now husband) if he would take me spotlighting for genets and springhaas. Yes, I am the weirdo who is more excited about seeing a wild genet than a rhino. Anyway, everyone else just wanted to sit and drink, so it was just the two of us. We stayed out talking for hours (no genets), and ended the night with our first kiss while we were standing in front of a big bull giraffe! It was just logical that we went back to where it all began :D

No lions for us - ever, although I do miss hearing them roar. I did many health exams on them, and at about 6 months even though you can still go in the enclosure, they definitely starting stalking me (I'm 4'11'', easy prey). I wouldn't mind a cheetah. I looovvveeed working with them. They are by far the tamest of the big cats I've dealt with, even more so than cougars.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sat May 03, 2014 9:45 am

Welcome and I look forward to learning from your experiences in the different animal sections here.

You know its funny what you mentioned about Cheetah and Cougars. Cheetah have a VERY long history of working as captive hunting animals for humans, especially in India.

So what does Florida do? Puts Cheetah and Cougars in their own special little classification as far as permits go making it harder to qualify for them then it is for Lions/Tigers/etc by making it that you cannot use experience in the biological order of big cats for Cheetah/Cougars and instead must have experience with the specific genus. Just makes no sense to me, considering out of ALL the big cats in the world, the Cheetah has the longest history of being used as a tamed animal for human use.

Just hard for me to understand their reasoning, beyond "hmmm cheetah's, historically speaking, make for the tamest of all the big cats, lets make it harder for our citizens to have one!".

Return to “INTRODUCTION”