PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Greetings, all!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Fin Infinite

Greetings, all!

Postby Fin Infinite » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Apparently I joined this forum almost two years ago, and did literally nothing on it! Just today my desire to someday get a domestic fox was rekindled, and I would like to get as much information as possible before I get one. Fortunately, that day will likely be many years in the future, so hopefully I shall be well-prepared! I currently have one pet - a white Imo Inu dog named Shiranui, who is somewhat insufferable at times, but I keep him in check.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings, all!

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 am

Hi, and welcome! I like your username. Glad you came back to us, lol. ;)

Yeah, foxes can be great pets if you know what to expect out of them. :) I'm assuming when you say "domestic" fox, you're referring to the Siberian foxes in Russia that are part of the Belyaev experiment? They sure have some pretty colors--I really like the Georgian whites. I'd love to have one of the Georgians someday, but they are too darn expensive.

Many people have their own opinions on the Russian Domestics. They're certainly not a dog in a fox's body (like National Geographic makes them out to be), but they are genetically tame and don't need to be bottle-raised. That's pretty cool to me. I think it's an experiment well worth supporting, but I just think they need to lower their prices by a few thousand before I feel comfortable recommending them. I am really intrigued by the experiment though, so maybe the high price is good so that they can get more funding.

I've never heard of an Imo Inu before. What's it like? Sounds kind of like a northern breed, or sled dog, but I don't know much about them.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Fin Infinite

Postby Fin Infinite » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Yeah, I'm talking about the Novosibirsk foxes. I understand full well that foxes - even genetically domesticated ones - are very different from dogs. An Imo Inu is a mix between an American Eskimo [German Spitz] and a Shiba Inu, so you were mostly right about the Northern thing.
Here's a picture of Shiranui. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRc8YjETQDMNHRicTFaN282Rnc/edit?usp=sharing
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Ah, cute picture. :) I like its little face. Thanks for posting the link so that I could what they look like!

Cool. Yeah, I wasn't saying that you specifically were thinking they were a dog in a fox body, just saying that there was a big misconception in general about it. I see memes floating around with pictures of foxes from the Institute, and they pretty much say that--which then makes everyone even more uneducated about them.

I would definitely like to own one someday, but I'd go through the Institute myself and not the current importer here in the US since it would be cheaper. The Georgians are pretty--all white with little black flecks. Gorgeous coats. You can only get the Georgians from the Institute. I'd also like to be able to see firsthand what they are like in comparison to the regular ranched reds here in the US. Reading about other peoples' experiences with Russian foxes doesn't make them seem too different from my ranched cross fox. So I want to see what all the hubbub is about up close and personal. But I wouldn't consider buying one until after I've raised a number of red foxes of different colors. Then I'd be experienced enough to see the differences, whether they turn out to be subtle or obvious.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Fin Infinite

Postby Fin Infinite » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Oh, when you said "Georgian" I didn't know that you meant the original Georgia! I'll agree with you that they certainly look beautiful!

I see where you're coming from with the Institute thing, though.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I could learn enough Russian to even go to there just for the time I'd be getting a fox, so I think I'd let the owners of Anya take care of that for me, even if it is more expensive.

Fortunately, I already know that foxes are legal in my state (Utah), but only Vulpes Vulpes, and no other species. There's plenty of snow in the winters for them to frolic and stuff. I hope to live somewhere foresty, though lucky for me, that wouldn't be incredibly hard to find.

I doubt how well I would do with any animal that's not genetically domesticated, though it would certainly be interesting to compare and see what difference the nature vs. nurture gives. I only wish that there could be foxes like that in the US, though I understand why there's not: the Institute is under a lot of financial strain, and probably will be indefinitely; really their only source of income is selling their nicest foxes at a high price.

[Edit] I just saw on your profile that you're also from Utah! Cool!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 am

To be honest, a regular ranched fox here in the US if bottle-raised and properly socialized is going to make a good pet. The only thing is they may turn out to be wary of strangers. They still can't be indoor pets, need enclosures, will mark, stink, and be destructive. Though I would guess their destructive level would be less since they're calmer.

That being said, my regular ranched cross fox is a sweetie and he loves EVERYBODY, lol. He's more excited to see strangers than me (his boring mom, ha). The female red fox I have is the same way but is super duper hyper--though that may change with age; she may grow more wary of strangers and also calm down a little. We'll have to see how she turns out. But so far, she's like the male, just crazy hyper. But that friendliness is typical of a socialized kit.

Yep, I'm in Utah! From Illinois, but now living out here permanently. :)

Keep in mind red foxes (vulpes vulpes) are legal on a state level, but you must make sure they are ALSO legal on county level as well as city level where you choose to live. It's like a tier system that you have to go through. You know you're good on state level. And my personal research of the laws shows that they are legal in many counties in Utah. But then you'll have to double-check to make sure your city allows them. Most cities in Utah don't allow them--very few do--and you'd have to live outside of city limits to own one.

I have been compiling a list of all the cities where exotics and foxes are legal in Utah. So if you want to know the legalities of your city regarding keeping foxes, shoot me a private message and I'll let you know. ;)
Fin Infinite

Postby Fin Infinite » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Regardless of how well it turns out, (Though it would be very nice if it turned out well,) I look forward to the day when I can get a fox. I was reading through the forums last night and saw posts about the legality that you were talking about; I was thinking of PMing you anyways, so thanks for the invitation.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”