PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Intro and Search for a Fennec Breeder

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

DaisyChains

My Intro and Search for a Fennec Breeder

Postby DaisyChains » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:00 pm

First off I would just like to say,

Hello everyone!

I am so looking forward to becoming a part of your amazing and knowledgeable community.

Although I do not as of yet have a pet of my own, as the subject of this post my suggest I am and have been looking into getting a Fennec fox for some time. I stumbled upon sybilsden while doing my research and thought it was about time I joined up! I thought seeing as I am beginning to feel more prepared for my new family member I aught to join up with a community like this one whether I get friends, a support group, aid (in prep, finding a breeder, or post purchase), a few questions answered or any variety of things in doing this I'm sure this experience will be a positive one. Who knows? Maybe I'll have my own contributions to make. icon-smile

(The next few long winded paragraphs are my intro/a little background. If you'd like to skip all that jazz and jump right to my breeder search then just look for the bolded text: my Fennec Fox breeder search)

Now as for my introduction you can all call me Bre, or Daisy, really whatever you like. As of this exact moment I find myself in my home land of Canada, Ontario to be more specific although this won't be the case for much longer. Soon (the end of this month, August 2014) I'll be jetting off to start a new life in Malaysia. Definitely a big change, however with family abroad and after having lived there in my youth for 3 years I'm sure it will be peaches-and-cream. It was during those three years that I had most of my experience with exotics as pets. As an older child I had a number of red eared turtles as well as a lovely little iguana names Iggy (along with a cat and a dog) . All but one of my exotic pets ( a turtle names Marbles) had been given to me by friends of my own or my parents who upon purchasing them found out that they needed more care than they could handle or were not what they expected. I couldn't have have been more happy to help and welcomed each new addition to my family with great joy.

After moving back from Malaysia I had the chance to volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary that had everything from beavers to coyotes, foxes to owls, wolves to moose calves,a lioness and everything in between. While some had been seized or surrendered and were unable to be released there were a fair number that cycled threw the center's care and back into the wild. I helped with everything from cleaning out cages and pens to bottle feeding and hand raising raccoons. It was an unforgettable summer. I was lucky enough to have family that worked year 'round at the shelter and was incredibly grateful to be so rapidly integrated into the staff and selected as a volunteer. I had always loved animals and this was a dream come true for me.

As for my hobbies I find I've got widespread interests but to name a few I love to read, practice in many different mediums of art (conté, soapstone carving, painting ect. ect.), traveling, being a historical interpreter, and really most activities involving animals. -(On a side note, I'll probably bombard someone at some point with pictures of some of the watercolors or contés I've done of pets over the years. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. It's gonna happen...)

A bit of trivia; my favorite animals have always been wolves and foxes, my favorite movie is Moonrise Kingdom, and I have a an undying love and obsession with Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's "Le Petit Prince." - "Tu n'es encore pour moi qu'un petit garçon tout semblable à cent mille petits garçons. Et je n'ai pas besoin de toi. Et tu n'as pas besoin de moi non plus. Je ne suis pour toi qu'un renard semblable à cent mille renards. Mais, si tu m'apprivoises, nous aurons besoin l'un de l'autre. Tu seras pour moi unique au monde. Je serai pour toi unique au monde..." *Swoon*
- (I cried my frist tiem reading this chapter for my french class.I know, I'm a huge suck.)

Enlgish: ("You're still a little boy to me just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I do not need you. And you do not need me either. I am for you that like a hundred thousand other foxes fox. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. You will be unique in the world for me. I will be unique in the world for you ...")

Anyways that's enough my intro/drawn out ramble. I'm open to answering any questions about myself or places i've been ect. I'm sure, or at least I hope I'll get to know more about you lot soon!

Moving on to my Fennec Fox breeder search ... As previously mentioned I've been doing my homework for quite some time regarding obtaining my own Renard. I know I still have some sorting to do, I'll admit that. For example although I've covered any travel/away time (I've contacted pet hotels for in regards to the very few days I will be away with many agreeing to meet over several days to learn how to care for a Fennec fox once the time is nearer to his (hopefully) arrival) I have not yet secured a vet. Now before anyone goes and gets their nickers in a twist I have confirmed that there are exotic vets that would most likely treat foxes in close proximity to my new home however I have yet to call the many vets on my list to confirm that they will 100% take me on as a client. You can imagine the 12-13 hour time difference doesn't make this easy but I am scheduled to make these calls tonight as well as a call to the Department of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP) Peninsular in Malaysia to just reconfirm what I think I know.

I'm not looking to get a Fennec Fox RIGHT THIS SECOND, in fact as I'm moving countries within the next week that would be rather inconvenient however with things of this nature its best to be prepared, no? So I am looking for any referral to a good breeder that would be willing to ship to Malaysia or even someone that just wouldn't mind discussing the foxes with me. I would like to have contact with them to ask any questions about their foxes, to answer any preliminary questions they have for me, to be put eventually (within the year) on a waiting list or really anything else that could be helpful. I don't want to go into this unprepared and having contact with the (or any) breeder will hopefully shine a light on any areas I have yet to cover and make the process go smoothly for myself, the breeder, as well as my future furkid.

To wrap this all up I'd love if someone could point me in the direction of a breeder that would be a good fit or even if a breeder themselves wouldn't mind contacting me. Also I'm so extremely excited to make new friends and become part of this community. Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read all/ any of that! Thanks a Mill you lovely lot. ;)

-Don't be afraid to hit me up just to say hello. I can be rather friendly. icon-smile

Cheers,
DaisyChains (Bre)

(P.S. I'd be happy to provide my E-mail for anyone who wishes to contact me that way! :D )
if you're interested check out my introduction to the site here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12067
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Intro and Search for a Fennec Breeder

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi, Bre! And welcome to the forum. :) It sounds like you've come to the right place, lol. You certainly have a unique background, and your experience at the wildlife sanctuary will be invaluable to you in the years to come. We sound similar--I like animals, and I also like art. But I'm more in to digital art--painting in photoshop and scanning and coloring my lineart.

Fennecs are really cool little animals. I've never had the chance to interact with one myself, but they are certainly interesting, cute critters. I would love to own one someday--but in my state here in the US they are not legal and I'd have to get a special permit for them. I'd love to breed them someday, but my state doesn't allow that, so I may just have to settle for a pet at first, lol. Maybe five years or so later I can convince them about breeding plans, but that's not really an option at the moment. But just saying I like fennecs too!

I do not know about the laws in Malaysia, and I can't check them out for you since I don't speak the language. Are they legal as pets in Malaysia, do you know? If they are, one of the things that you will want to do before finding a breeder is check out the importation laws for exotic animals. That info with be invaluable to a breeder, and most likely will be the determining factor in whether or not they would be willing to ship. Sometimes it can be super complicated and quarantining the animal is required. If you knew that info, that would be a great start in finding breeders.

I don't know too many breeders that do international shipping, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. It can be tricky. But as far as fennec breeders go, we have Mandy Markley from the US on here (she goes by Dinnka, but the best way to get a hold of her is through text message or facebook). And we also have Flashman Foxes from the UK on here (she's a moderator and her name and username is Elina). There may be some other breeders on here, but if there are, they haven't been active in a long while. Fennec breeders are becoming more and more scarce these days due to them not being very good parent foxes anymore. At the first sign of stress, many parents will kill their offspring. So we are seeing fewer and fewer breeders because of those issues.

However, if there's ever anyway we can help you out with info, there are some members here who really know a lot about fennecs--whether by studying and reading about them for years, or by people who have had the chance to own one.

I like wolves and foxes too--but foxes, hyenas, snakes, and lizards are what I love most. Wolves and other canids are very cool, and I had the chance to work with a coyote for a while when I was interning at a facility. They're neat animals.

Let us know how your phone calls go. :) Good on you for being so dedicated and willing to get everything in order before you purchase one. Too many people acquire animals without any regard for legalities--and in the end, it's the animal that pays the price. So I'm very happy to see you are going about this in a professional, legal manner.

Anyways, thanks for joining. I really look forward to hearing more about your fennec adventure. :D It took me about two years to ensure my fox would be legal where I'm living, so if you're patient and ready for the long haul, I'm sure you'll be able to have a cute little furball of your own.

Again, welcome!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “INTRODUCTION”