PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

new member and raccoon mama

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

stormy

new member and raccoon mama

Postby stormy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 am

Hi y'all. I'm stormy and new here. I've always raised animals but on May 23rd I had a baby raccoon dumped on me. She was only about a week old.

Ill be honest, I did not want this challenge. I researched so many things about raising raccoons and really didn't think I could do it. The past 3 months have been me learning and never have I had an animal that took so much of my time. But ill tell you, this girl has stolen my heart.

I'm currently in a state that having a raccoon is illegal. Luckily, I have a vet friend that has given her shots and the former for the raccoon round worm.

I need to find a vet, preferably in arkansas where raccoons are legal, that will spay her. She's only 3 months old now but I'd like to have a definite plan for when she's ready to be spayed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stormy.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: new member and raccoon mama

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Have you considered leaving her intact then releasing her instead?

Otherwise I'm not from the area so can't help.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:32 pm

welcome stormy

I really understand how raccoons can capture our hearts.

the problem you most likely will have, is finding a vet that will spay her.
even in another state icon-sad .. most vets will not treat a raccoon that is not legal.
most vets will want to see legal paper work.

for now, you really should not tell anyone that lives near you, that you have this raccoon.
if the state finds out, they most likely will take the raccoon and kill it icon-sad

as the raccoon gets older, she should have a pen, even if she is not kept in their all time.
most raccoons that have free run of the house, will get into everything. (some more than others)

as an adult, their personalities do change a bit. if not fixed, then you most likely will have an aggressive little girl icon-sad

as TG suggested, you might be better off, releasing her when she is old enough. I know that cannot be an easy thing to do.
but, it would be worse, if she is taken from you and killed.

I wish I had a better solution for you, but, I don't know of any.
if you keep her, you will have to be super careful no one knows near you that you have her.
it just takes one person to complain icon-sad...

we are here to help you, not hurt you... we are just honest... so please don't get upset from our replies.

keep us updated....
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
stormy

Postby stormy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:39 am

After spending yesterday on the phone, I found a vet yesterday that will spay her when she is old.enough.

We live on a farm and only the closest of my friends know I have her. While she does have a large cage, she has the run of the house while I'm home and the run of the yard/woods.

I'm having her spayed because I don't want her to bring babies home to me. Lol

Return to “INTRODUCTION”