PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

raccoon

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

linda

raccoon

Postby linda » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi , i live in south Africa, i have just got a 1 and half yr racoon , we don't have raccoons in here so looking to u for guidance, what r the signs for stress and for not feeling well,
He used to people cleaning his cage and putting out food,
I got him 4 days ago, i can give him treats by hand , but we don't know how long him not eating is before getting worried, what r signs of stress etc,
Want him to be a happy boy,
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: raccoon

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Is he eating the treats you give him or not eating at all. Sometimes an animal wont want to eat in a new home and can tend to get a bit constipated too. Is he pooping? Try to leave him alone to adjust. If he's eating treats I'd not worry. If he's not even eating any treats so taking zero food then worry after about 3 whole days have passed if he is still taking nothing which I guess your at 4 days but if he's eating some treats I'd not worry yet. If he's not had anything to eat then he needs checked but you can start by bringing a stool sample to the vet.

Edit: that's assuming he's pooping. If he's not defecating. Then you need to relax him more, maybe leave him alone more. Try offering a pan of water for him to poop in sometimes helps. If he is eating treats but not pooping you can try to give him high fiber treats or oily things to help get things moving.
linda

Postby linda » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:57 am

Thank u so much, have a great day, oh yes i noticed the 3rd eye lid was starting to come over his eye, i took him to vet, but it difficult here as no one really knows them, so glad this forum here, will keep u posted,
Ana

Postby Ana » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:32 am

If you could show us some pictures of him, his enclosure, whatever you've got, it might help us come
up with some ideas. Fresh, clean water is so important for coons. What are his living conditions like?
Is he litter trained? Where is he sleeping? Normally, people adopt infant raccoons, to facilitate the
bonding process - it could be difficult for an older coon to bond. You could try offering him some
ice cubes, that's always a fun treat here, and will ensure he's taking in at least a little bit of water.

Most coons love sweets. You could try offering whatever fresh fruits are readily available,
some seem particularly vulnerable to watermelon! Here are some foods my boy loves:

Cashews (also likes walnuts, but not as much)
Fennel stalks
Pasta of any kind
Corn on the Cob
Shrimp
Fresh basil leaves
Scrambled egg with butter/salt/pepper
Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
Fresh raw carrots
Peas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Is there any discharge from the eye or nose? Distemper is one thing to watch out for and I know it's kind of rampant in Africa, or so I've heard. If it's not distemper then once you know he is healthy he should be vaccinated against it, with a killed vaccine preferred over modified live. But he should not get any vaccines when unwell as it will just make things worse.
linda

Postby linda » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:07 am

Hi, i took him to be .vacinated the day i got him. Distemper a dead vac they use for ferret here and rabies mac too.
How do i send a pic on the forum, he been at vet for last 2 going on the3 days,
I have only had him 6 days now, i
He had not eaten there so i visited yesterday and got him to eat some apple and he had a good drink, will go again today, his blood test said liver and pancreas readings a little high, so he been on the meds , i want him to love me and be happy so badly, the vet over his1 and half hours away from me,
I off to see him again today , i sure he very depressed there, he won't come out of his travel box at the vet at all,
His cage is 3 x 3, has a big kennel in, poles to climb, ramps to ledges around cage, litter box, 2 feeding stations, big water bowl on floor too, i have a big container for a pool but it still chills here so not put it out,
I have been going out to him, touching him, talking, and trying to give treats,
Have i tried to much too soon, only had him 2 days before he went to vet,
His cage at home much bigger than what he had,
Thanks for Ur advice,
linda

Postby linda » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:43 am

His cage is 3 metres X 3 Metres and 2 metres tall
linda

Postby linda » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

His cage is 3 metres by 3 metres
Big kennel, flat roof, paved floor, 2 feeding stations , has 30cm ledges around cage
He likes to sleep in corner
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I think too much too soon. Unless he was lethargic he should have been given time to stay at his new home and get used to things and settle in. If you are capable of giving the meds at home I think he would do better there. Plus if the levels are only a little high as you say it can be from stress and the not eating. Even if you can't give the meds I would consider bringing him home anyway if he was just not eating but had energy and was moving around when you first brought him to the vet. If at all possible you don't want to leave an exotic at a vet as they stress and will waist away. That's why you can't board exotic either and need pet sitters if you leave them at all. I can't say for sure that bringing him home is the right thing to do but if it were me it's what I would do. You could have the vet show you how to give sub-q fluids at home and that can help the levels and make him feel better, though you may need to wear gloves since it will hurt him a bit and he doesn't know you really yet.

I don't think his home cage size was a problem but the small vet cage will depress him.
linda

Postby linda » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi, Brian, ate some cat tuna meat at lunch today, about 4 teaspoons,and a yoga drop, it been warm here today 84 degrees , he just been sleeping all day,
My dogs like to eat the left over food Brian leaves is it ok for them to do that, i read something about coonhoun paralysis
How do coons act when it hot, i put a pool in but he has never had one so don't think he knows what to do.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:22 pm

You may get better answers by posting in the raccoon section viewforum.php?f=91

Coonhound paralysis is poorly named and is now thought to be an auto-immune issue rather than an infection.
Ana

Postby Ana » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:27 pm

My coon gets lethargic when he's too hot, he prefers the temp around 60-65F, I dont
know from Celsius. Is he feeling any better today? Can you get him into some air
conditioning to see if it changes anything? You must be going crazy trying everything!
linda

Postby linda » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi,, Brian ate well last night, he had a pear and apple and loved the scramble egg, thanks for all Ur advice, will see how he got on with the corn on the cob in the morn, how much food must i give him, he has biscuits all the time, i put other foods in fresh every evening,
How can i teach him to go into water if it gets hot.,?
Thank you all so much for all Ur advice, i look forward everymorning to reading the posts
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 am

linda,

welcome to sybils message board.

glad to hear your raccoon is doing better.

How can i teach him to go into water if it gets hot.,?

try picking him up (if he lets you) and put him in a small shallow pan of water.
(big enough for him to fit) or, you can try putting one of his treats in the water,
he might go after it.

many raccoons will dunk their food in water before they eat it.
make sure you have a bowl of fresh water next to his food dish.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
linda

Postby linda » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:15 am

Hi, Brian coming on nicely, he allows lots of touching and stroking when he busy with his treat jar, we manage to brush him too, he very nervous with noises, there are times when he eats really well and times not so well, he does not like vegetables i have tried all sorts, he eats apple's and pears, loves coconut marshmellows, he enjoying home made apricot biscuits, i give him scrambled egg every 2nd or third day, loves that,
Pls can u recommend a app for reducing photos so i can send pic s, i can't get one to shrink photo s small enough to post,
We sit with him every evening and let him look us over, he so cute, can't wait for him to be tame enough that we can put a harness on him so we can bring him into the house,
How should i introduce him to the dogs and cat , he smells them through the fence,
He due for his 2nd innoculations next week and to get neutered , as he already 1 and half years old,
Looking forward to hearing from u
Regards Linda

Return to “INTRODUCTION”