PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Hi new here

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

nawazjani

Hi new here

Postby nawazjani » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:48 am

i am new here i want to know about small dogs any one had idea about which dog is child friendly where to buy it in US
Trefoil

Re: Hi new here

Postby Trefoil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Welcome. That would depend a lot on how old and well trained the child is. Small dogs are easily hurt and thus not usually good around small children, there are exceptions. Hopefully a small dog person will read your post & be able to help you out. The American kennel club has information online on most breeds and I believe breeders. https://www.akc.org/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 pm

In my personal experience, a shih-tzu makes a fun family pet--though not really good to have around the elderly. They are happy, social animals that love to play and have a good time. They don't shed, so that's always a bonus. They are generally very friendly towards everyone, including strangers, though this obviously varies from dog to dog.

They are spunky little animals and not big enough to knock kids over. Also can't hop up on weird places like the table, so they generally stay out of trouble. They are indoor dogs too.

The one we had was a puppy, and he chewed on EVERYTHING. So we had to make sure everything was out of his reach. I don't know if it's mostly a puppy thing in shih-tzus to chew so much, but that was something we had to watch out for. I have no clue how many ear buds my family went through...

Shih-tzus are sort of smart BUT super eager to please. So teaching them tricks is super easy. They do potty-train, but this takes a bit longer since they are kind of... dippy. And every once in a while, they kind of forget that they're trained. But with consistency, the potty training should go fine. Ours had a medical condition, and as a result, he urinated a LOT and it was impossible to teach him to go outside due to how frequently he had to go. So he was trained to a puppy pad.

Since they don't shed, their coats need to be maintained. We had ours groomed every few months. Because they have longer hair, they do need to be bathed every 1-2 weeks so they stay smelling good and fresh. If you choose to grow out their hair super long, it will have to be brushed. Ours never had long hair, so we never had to do that. And brushing was more just for fun.

They are cuddle bugs for sure.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. We had our shih-tzu for such a short time before he passed away. But out of all the dogs out there, a shih-tzu is definitely the breed I'd get again.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Mini-Schnauzers they are smart yet generally easy to train and have strong bonds and loyalty to family members. They either need to be kept trimmed short or brushed a lot and you may need to pluck the undercoat as it sheds twice a year but not all of the mini's have that and if you keep them clipped it's not really an issue.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”