PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Intro

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

bennetthj

Intro

Postby bennetthj » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi there everyone!

I stumbled across this board researching the care needs of red foxes and was excited to find a community of like-minded folks. I have just a dog right now, but have worked with a variety of species in the past, primarily livestock, rabbits, gamebirds, and ferrets.

I'm in Virginia and it appears farm-raised reds in non-wild color morphs are regulated the same as domestic canids in my locality so I'm eager to learn more and perhaps eventually get a fox or two when I have more space. Looking forward to getting to know you all!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intro

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi there! :) You've definitely come to the right place if you want to learn more about foxes! lol

We have a lot of topics on foxes and some really good members who've been keeping them for years.

I'm glad you've done your research regarding their legalities. That's the first step when seeking to acquire any animal.

My two reds really keep me on my toes, lol. Well, the littler one, actually. She's goofy and feisty. Really seems like a tamed wild animal behavior-wise, whereas my older male is just this chill "pet me please" guy.

Anyway, welcome!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
bennetthj

Postby bennetthj » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:03 am

Thanks for the welcome, Ash! How long have you had your guys? There's at least one breeding pair of wild foxes in my neighborhood right now -- I've spotted an adult twice after dark (assuming its the same one since it was about the same time/vicinity) and these juveniles playing in broad daylight a couple of months ago. They're pretty cool to watch!

Have you noticed generalized behavioral differences between males and females?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:11 am

My male is 3 years 6.5 months old. My female is only 6.5 months old. :) I worked around foxes before that and then others here and there after I got mine.

I do not own enough foxes to really make generalizations between the personalities of the sexes. Right now, I think it honestly just depends on the fox and the way in which we interpret their behavior.

For example, if a little male fox is chewing on your pants, you say, "what a little mischief-maker!" If a little female fox is chewing on your pants, you say, "what a spoiled little princess!" So people interpret the behavior in different ways, which in this case, makes the female come across as the "brattier" one--even though both were doing the exact same thing.

That's my perception on it right now, at least.

In my personal experience, the females I've been around have been more hyper than the males. But color morphs also probably come into play as well, which makes it harder to judge since it's an extra factor thrown in there.

I think either sex makes a good pet. You'll wind up with something crazy no matter what, haha. I've really enjoyed owning Fable and Ifrit. Both have been very fun for different reasons and brought different challenges to the table.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “INTRODUCTION”