PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Future Raccoon Owner!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

LittleBatt

Future Raccoon Owner!

Postby LittleBatt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:28 pm

Hello, my name is Katie. I live in Erie PA, and my boyfriend and I have been considering a pet raccoon for a few months now. We wouldn't be adopting any time soon, it will be a few years until we can take on a little fuzzy bandit, but I've realized that it's difficult to come across information regarding the proper care of raccoons. I've also noticed it's difficult to find breeders. I would like to talk to a few different breeders, and keep in contact with them, until we're ready to adopt a baby coon of our own.

Do you guys have any advice for me? Any tips, tricks, or quality breeders you can point me in the direction of? Thank you so much!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Future Raccoon Owner!

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :D

I've worked a little around raccoons, but I personally do not know much about them. But there are a lot of active raccoon owners who will probably see this and help you out. Pat, the site's owner, loves her coons, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:37 pm

hi katie,
welcome to sybils message board.

I have raised pet raccoons for about 11 years. I love them, and find them to
have quite the personality. but, it is very important they are understood and raised properly.
out of all the animals I have raised, raccoons are my favorite.

I see you live in Pa. I do too. I am probably about an hour and a half from Erie.

I don't know if you know the PA regs on coons. actually, it is a little easier to get a raccoon
than other type of exotics. all it takes is a bill of sale within PA. (you need to buy one from PA)
the hard part of that is, I don't know anyone near you that is a breeder, there is not many in PA.
however, I have a Propagation permit that allows me to to buy or sell anywhere.
another issue is your local area, you will need to check and make sure they are allowed.

here is my caresheet on raccoons.
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/raccoons.htm

please feel free to ask any questions, we are here to help.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
LittleBatt

Postby LittleBatt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:26 pm

pat wrote:hi katie,
welcome to sybils message board.

I have raised pet raccoons for about 11 years. I love them, and find them to
have quite the personality. but, it is very important they are understood and raised properly.
out of all the animals I have raised, raccoons are my favorite.

I see you live in Pa. I do too. I am probably about an hour and a half from Erie.

I don't know if you know the PA regs on coons. actually, it is a little easier to get a raccoon
than other type of exotics. all it takes is a bill of sale within PA. (you need to buy one from PA)
the hard part of that is, I don't know anyone near you that is a breeder, there is not many in PA.
however, I have a Propagation permit that allows me to to buy or sell anywhere.
another issue is your local area, you will need to check and make sure they are allowed.

here is my caresheet on raccoons.
http://sybilsden.com/caresheet/raccoons.htm

please feel free to ask any questions, we are here to help.

Thank you guys so much! Pat, I feel like you're going to be a life saver for me and all my questions, haha. How do I acquire a bill of sale? Is it just a receipt that proves that I bought the raccoon in PA? And do you know of any breeders that I could get in contact with? It doesn't necessarily matter if they're in the immediate area. Where did you get your little guys?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 pm

the breeder that sells you a raccoon has to give you a bill of sale with their permit number on it.
the only breeders I know of (if they are still breeding) is in eastern Pa.
you don;t have to call pgc. but, you will need it for a vet visit, or if someone complains about your raccoon.

I got mine from ohio. as I said, I have a prop permit which entitles me to buy or sell where ever I want.
you can apply for a prop permit. they are the cheapest. 25.00 per species a year.
but, you might have to meet certain requirements for a pen.

I will be going to ohio or Indiana in may. (I hope) to get another raccoon, if you want one, let me know.
I can buy an extra one for you, or I can get one when you are ready, then in turn write you a bill of sale.

one important thing I forgot to mention, it is very important a raccoon is fixed.

there is still lots to be said about raccoons, so, feel free to ask, but, please make sure you
completely understand a raccoons needs. (makes life better for you and your raccoon)

thank you for doing research before getting one. we are here to help you.

veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Welcome! It's great to see that you are doing the necessary research. Best of luck!
LittleBatt

Postby LittleBatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks so much. I think it's super important to research any animal before adopting, dogs, cats, ferrets, whatever pet you think may be best for you, especially if it's an uncommon animal like the raccoon.

Pat, when we get closer to May I'll definitely let you know if we believe we're ready. Thank you so much for your offer, it really means a lot to me that you'd go so out of your way to do this for us. We've got a lot of planning to do in the mean time!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm

LittleBatt wrote:Thanks so much. I think it's super important to research any animal before adopting, dogs, cats, ferrets, whatever pet you think may be best for you, especially if it's an uncommon animal like the raccoon.

Pat, when we get closer to May I'll definitely let you know if we believe we're ready. Thank you so much for your offer, it really means a lot to me that you'd go so out of your way to do this for us. We've got a lot of planning to do in the mean time!

I totally agree about doing research, as you mentioned, all animals (including dogs, cats)
I get totally annoyed when I hear some dog owners (not on this board) say, they had
to get rid of their dog because it was not behaving. I get even more annoyed when the people that leave
their dogs outside on a chain 24/7. of course even more annoyed at abuse.

no problem about the raccoon. I usually go to ohio every year. I know a couple breeders in ohio.

LittleBatt

Postby LittleBatt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:28 am

pat wrote: I totally agree about doing research, as you mentioned, all animals (including dogs, cats)
I get totally annoyed when I hear some dog owners (not on this board) say, they had
to get rid of their dog because it was not behaving. I get even more annoyed when the people that leave
their dogs outside on a chain 24/7. of course even more annoyed at abuse.

no problem about the raccoon. I usually go to ohio every year. I know a couple breeders in ohio.

Oh, awesome! We currently rent our place, so we're definitely not going to be ready until we secure our own house, we understand that they can be destructive little guys, but Rich and I are both pretty handy and can patch things up in our own house if things get damaged, but obviously renting would be an issue with a raccoon attempting to bore through the wall into the neighbors apartment, haha. I'd also like to get a nice outdoor enclosure built before bringing the little guy home.

What age do you recommend taking them in? I read that getting the babies before their eyes open and bottle feeding tends to have them bond and imprint upon you the most. Since this is going to be our first raccoon, I want to make sure he's as bonded to us as possible. I'm not worried about bottle feeding, I grew up on a farm and bottle fed everything from goats, cattle, horses, piglets, kittens, puppies, bunnies, and rats. But if it's detrimental to them to leave mom too early, I wouldn't want to risk it.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 am

I definitely do not recommend having a raccoon in a rental place.
some raccoons can be more destructive than others. however, they sometimes outgrow the "terrible twos"

seems some raccoons will have different personalities. but, again, a lot depends on their enrichment.
if bored, they will be worse. if kept indoors 24/7 more of a chance of destruction if they are bored.

some or most raccoons are very curious. they want to see what is on the other side of the door, cupboard etc.
they learn words, the first word should be "NO" or "No Bite" never play bite with a raccoon. they have sharp teeth as an adult, they will think it is OK. my raccoons are not allowed to have their mouth open when I have my hand on them,
not that they bite, it is mostly if they turn their head when petting them with their mouth open. there are corrections for that, I will explain later about that.

my first raccoon (larry, died last year of liver cancer) was into everything. but, I made the mistake of letting him have
free roam of my whole house. seems the kitchen is the biggest attraction. he was destructive all the time.
he had his fox buddy and dogs to play with. however, he never destroyed anything (walls etc) he just use to rip things out of the cupboards. but, once he reached about a year old, he a lot better. keeping the kitchen and bathroom door closed helped. also, having a pen for him really made a big change. I didn't leave him and his fox buddy in the pen 24/7
mostly at night. (couldn't get any sleep when they were in the house at night, they would jump on the bed, under the bed
and make a lot of noise.

my 2nd and 3rd raccoon never got into any trouble. they seem to be content, even in the house. they are very good.
however, some raccoons will get bored quick. so you will need to find different things to keep him amused.
most raccoons also like hiding places. they like to be up high and sometimes on the ground.

raccoons love dogs (assuming the dog is willing to play with him/her)

for your question about the age, no, they don't have to be bought prior to their eyes opening. as long as the breeder bottle feeds after they are pulled from momma. none of my raccoons are aggressive, all mine are lovable and likes to be petted.

really glad you are going to wait until you get your own home. it will be much better for a raccoon.
are you staying in erie? wherever you move, make sure you find a vet that will treat him/her and has experience.
my vet is very experienced with many different exotics. he has done a wonderful job on all my animals.
if you can't find a good vet near you, let me know, I can refer you my vet, he would probably be about an1-1/2 from erie.

here is a list of vets, there is more, some for the members here helped with the list.
also, there is a link at the bottom of that page where you can search from your zip code.
also, you can call the closest zoo and ask who their vet is or just start calling vets nearby and ask them.
http://sybilsden.com/reference/vets.htm

hope this helped. and thank you again for researching first. it will pay off when you get your baby.

Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:08 pm

The vet that Pat uses is fantastic with my Corso. It's a bit of a drive but totally worth it
to have a doctor with knowledge of the species. That you are both handy and not afraid
of carpentry work bodes well for you. :lol: My boy has been a holy terror at times with his
insatiable curiosity, but we're getting through it, and he's the funniest, sweetest, most
charming little guy. You can't see him without smiling. :D

Return to “INTRODUCTION”