PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

on a quest for the cloud rat

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

CoyoteChaser

on a quest for the cloud rat

Postby CoyoteChaser » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Hello all!

I found out about the existence of giant cloud rats (specifically Phloeomys pallidus) and have been doing research on them since, specifically their keeping in captive conditions. I think it would be super neat to have one as a pet (it seems to be common in some areas, and has historical precedent) but obviously this isn't the kind of thing you do on a whim, even if I wasn't hella poor at the moment. :P

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find many resources on the subject of keeping them. At least not ones that aren't worryingly vague. If anyone has suggestions on where to look I would appreciate it.
CoyoteChaser

Re: on a quest for the cloud rat

Postby CoyoteChaser » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:07 am

I just realized I didn't write much of anything about myself!

I'm a young adult in Texas, and I own two snakes (a ball python and a hognose) as well as a tank of fish and a retriever mix. My rainbow shark is my pride and joy, especially since I nearly killed him once when he hid inside a log I was cleaning. My special buddy is my dog though, she's an angel. But I suppose that's true of most dogs.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:21 am

welcome to the sybils message board.

never heard of a giant rat. but, from what I can find, looks like there is not any in the pet trade. :shrug:
http://shorttailedopossum.tripod.com/gi ... _rat_1.htm

if this what you are referring to?

wow, a rainbow shark. never heard of that either. The members and I would love to hear more about
your critters.

Thank you for joining us.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:27 am

I know Ken was brokering some for a while, but he no longer brokers. They will probably be a tricky animal to find, but posting wanted ads on exotics sites could help.

Welcome to the forum. I have ball pythons and hognoses too! XD The ball pythons are so dumb, it's adorable.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
CoyoteChaser

Postby CoyoteChaser » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:37 pm

I've seen one seller on EAFS but I'm not sure how reputable they are. I'm assuming they're a broker rather than a breeder themselves because of the number of animals they provide. Mostly I'm just looking for information, because jumping into this kind of thing feet-first is a bad idea for everyone involved.

And having a rainbow shark isn't as impressive as it sounds, they're common in the aquarium trade and can be bought at most pet stores. But I'm pretty proud that it's doing so well all the same, since it can bleach out if the water quality isn't good.

My ball is a pretty chill guy, likes sunning himself on his branch when the sun is just right through the window. It's really cute! And my hognose is still tiny so his threat display is mostly adorable.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:07 pm

Tell them you're interested in the cloud rat, and ask for their USDA number. :) You can look them up in the aphis database to see what types of violations they have had. Or, you can ask about past customers.

They should provide you with their number happily. If they don't, then stay away.

Hognoses are the drama queens of the snake world, heehee. Your little one sounds cute.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
StarXCrossedXWolf

Postby StarXCrossedXWolf » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:38 pm

Nice to meet you, I'm new to the forum as well.

Cloud rats are adorable! They're one of the animals that I wish to one day have as a companion. If you find any information or breeders/brokers, please let me know!

On another note, it's nice to meet someone else who owns scaled critters! I hope to have a hognose one day, but I do have a few ball pythons. They're such cutie pies!
Call me Kia, the mama of:
4.1.0 Ball Pythons
1.1.0 Carpet Pythons
0.0.1 Spotted Python
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
1.1.3 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Short-Tailed Opossum
And more to come!
CoyoteChaser

Postby CoyoteChaser » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:03 pm

@Ash

I would, but I probably already annoyed them by sending a message asking if they knew anything about the species (which I realize now is a faux pas) and at the moment I'm not in a position to buy one anyway. So it seems like I would be troubling them further for no good reason.

@Star

I'm having trouble finding much, from what I can tell Cloud Rats fairly new in the US pet trade. I'm hoping a captive population is established before pressure on their native habitat causes issues.

And my hognose is pretty easy to keep thus far, if you're already keeping snakes it shouldn't be too hard. Mine hasn't laid-back the way Balls can be though.
StarXCrossedXWolf

Postby StarXCrossedXWolf » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:21 pm

I do also have two carpet pythons, a spotted python, and an amazon tree boa, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble with my future hognose lol. And I won't be getting it for a while anyway, unfortunately.
Call me Kia, the mama of:
4.1.0 Ball Pythons
1.1.0 Carpet Pythons
0.0.1 Spotted Python
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
1.1.3 Crested Geckos
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Short-Tailed Opossum
And more to come!
CoyoteChaser

Postby CoyoteChaser » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Yeah, I'm sure you won't have any trouble. :P

If a newbie like me can pull it off I have no doubt you'll do great.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Ash is right, Ken used to have them on his website and actually, he has a small caresheet still on his site; http://shorttailedopossum.tripod.com/gi ... _rat_1.htm

It may seem like there's only one page but there is a link at the bottom for page 2. Let us know how your journey goes, I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the Giant Cloud Rat.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”