PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Aspiring fox owner

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

UnintentionalFan

Aspiring fox owner

Postby UnintentionalFan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi, my name is Alex, and I currently live in San Angelo, TX. However, I am a member of the United States Air Force, and within a few weeks I will be stationed in Virginia. I recently discovered the legality of owning a fox in Virginia, and was hoping that this website could aid me in learning how to care for a fox with my military schedule.

I have already learned a lot from this site and from doing general research, and while it might take a while for me to be able to afford housing a fox, I do believe it is a task I can handle. My dream fox is a silver platinum fox, or so I've seen it called, but I'd be happy with any non-natural colored red fox. It'd be best if I could get one of the Russian foxes, but I'd be happy with any captive bred fox.

I look forward to meeting a lot of people and learning even more. I apologize in advance for any weird grammar or odd typos, as my phone really doesn't like typing in forums or comment threads for some reason.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aspiring fox owner

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Hello, and welcome. :) If you're in the military, you may need to wait until you get a fox. Unless you can somehow guarantee that you'll be staying in Virginia. They are illegal in many states (including Texas), and transition can be difficult for some foxes. My male fox did not have much issues when I traveled back and forth with him from Utah to Illinois, but I know that my female would not be able to handle it well at all.

This is a great site to study up and learn about them though, and it is always great when someone is doing all their research before hand. I don't know your exact situation, but when you said you were in the military, I'm assuming that means you'll move around a lot.

I love the silver platinums too. They are a very pretty color.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
UnintentionalFan

Postby UnintentionalFan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:04 pm

I have a position where I could choose to not move for long enough that I could transfer to the Air National Guard when my contract expires, which I plan on doing if I like Virginia enough. My current plan, however, is to travel the world a little and then return to Virginia for good. It's easily 10+ years in the future, but that's when I would get my fox.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Oh, if you wouldn't be moving around a bunch, then I wouldn't see a problem. :) If you do your research now, you'd definitely be ready when your bundle of fluff comes along.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
UnintentionalFan

Postby UnintentionalFan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:18 pm

I do have a few questions, if you don't mind me asking here. First off, would a harness like these http://www.pamperedpetsvip.com/attachme ... rnesses_(2).jpg work well? (On hyperlink, click it and then add ").jpg" to the end to make it work)

I want to pull a kit, what's the earliest and latest age I should get one at?

I'm thinking of mixing dry dog and cat food and adding canned cat food every now and then, along with acceptable table scraps when they come around. I've seen the list of things to avoid, and I know to get high quality food with taurine, but are any type of meats that I should provide more than others? i.e. turkey, chicken, pork, etc?

At what age should I start desensitizing to things like city traffic or public areas?

Would it be safe to leave the fox loose in my bedroom (or house) to sleep in my bed or in its own bed next to mine while I'm asleep?
CoyoteChaser

Postby CoyoteChaser » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:31 pm

This page seems like it's a good resource.

There's also May The Fox Be With You which was run by the owner of the late Vader the fox.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”