PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fond Greetings

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

CitricPrincess

Fond Greetings

Postby CitricPrincess » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Greetings all,

I am Citrus (or at least that's what I have preference to be called online). I am a college student, who technically lives with her dog (3 year old red seseme Shiba Inu male, Renjirou), her gecko (2 year-ish crested. I'm pretty sure she's female. From the pet store. I've been calling her color Halloween Harlequin. Her name is Mana), my parents, their dog (9 year old black and white irish rat terrier/australian shepherd mix female, Aspen), my older brother, his cat (1 year old brown tabby domestic medium hair female, Meowsers), and my younger brother, who is also away at college, hence the earlier 'technically'.

I actually tend to be quite shy and socially anxious (hence my long winded rambling here. Forgive me for that... ^.^;) but I am wanting to try to get more social and such in communities I have interest in getting involved in, such as dog breeding/showing and exotic pets.

I have future plans (of a somewhat distant variety) of breeding and showing Shiba Inus and Betta fish, as well as owning a fox. (It was my research on the latter that a couple days ago stumbled me upon this site, where I have since been lurking, reading, and learning much. I really would love a pearl cross, especially :3) Of course, these plans are mostly still in the planning, researching, and 'I should try to train my dog like that I wonder if he's too old for it to be worthwhile...' stages. I currently live in colorado with my parents, and go to school in utah, but upon graduation I plan to return to my birthplace of Oklahoma, and once I get settled in there I will be putting into effect my plans in these areas, carefully and with what surity much research can provide.

Soo... I apologize for being a nervious rambler who sometimes talks oddly formally when a litttle skiddish... Nice to meet you all. I will be lurking and readinng around and occassionally talking myself into posting and talking when I can. I do love talking about Ren-ren and Mana XD

I do have one question, though. Does anyone know of a location or way I could get some hands on experiances with foxes in utah or colorado, before I even have any plans of getting one set in stone? I have been reminded that I am technically allergic to things with fur, and while most of the time its at level 'have tissues close by and know where the benedryl is and forget about it as you cuddle your fluffy puppy' (aka, not bad enough for me to actually care about), I do know that its due to such allergies that I am unable to share a home with any rabbits, so I really should make sure its not the same case with foxes, well before I attempt to get any sort of permit or make any move to getting one. Not actually worried, though. I'm fine with most things.

So... yeah... Fond rambly greetings from me. And Renji and Mana... Just figured I should introduce myself if I had such plans of hanging around...
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fond Greetings

Postby pat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:44 am

welcome Citrus, glad you joined us.
you have some unique critters. we hope to see pictures and hear more about them.

You will in time get over being shy. I use to be very shy was I was younger.
now, I am the opposite :lol: please try not to be shy here, everyone here are great members.
we animal lovers stick together.

I do have one question, though. Does anyone know of a location or way I could get some hands on experiances with foxes in utah or colorado
I am not sure. Ash lives in Utah, so she might be of more help.

sad about your allergies. but, sometimes people can overcome their allergies after awhile from being exposed to them.
I use to be allergic to cats, but, after owning them for awhile, I became immune to them. not saying everyone will :shrug:

If you find you are not allergic to foxes, please make sure you completely understand them before you get one. (we are here to help). also, you have to make sure a fox is legal in your area. even if the state allows them, many cities do not.
There was bad outcomes with a fox living in a city where foxes were not allowed. :cry:

again, welcome, glad you joined us, and hope to hear more about your critters.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:02 am

Well, at age 20 and having not quite been so shy when I was younger, the shyness thing is getting worse... But I've desided 'dern it, this isn't healthy' and am forcing myself to do some people stuff, yes. So I will be trying very hard not to be shy here.

And I do know all about overcoming allergies. XD After all, I do have a Shiba. They are not hypoallerginic by any means, blasted little flufferpup. But he sleeps in my bed and gets lots of attention from me throughout the day, and I'm fine with it. Very oily dogs like labradors give me a bit more issues, but as long as I wash my hands often like when petting them, I'm fine. I tend to avoid long-furred cats to spend any long periods of time with, but I used to have a short-hair who shared my bed and loved to curl up on my lap during the day. I'm fine with my brother Medium-hair, but she isn't allowed in my room (for non-allergy reasons, but it probably does help on that front) Its never much of an issue of 'am I allergic?' I'm far too stubborn for that. Its 'am I TOO allergic.' Like rabbits. I used to have a friend with a rabbit when I was young, and even by playing in the same room the rabbit's cage was, not even playing with the rabbit directly, I had a major allergic reaction and couldn't breath. Yay emergancy inhalers, but I learned I could never own a bunny (though I think such allergies lightened up a little as I grew so it may not be so bad now, but rabbits had scared me off for good.) So I wouldn't call my overcoming allergies becoming immune, but I know how to use benedryl and live with an often limited sense of smell. XD

I have been researching everything to do with pet foxes emmensely. I never let myself have a pet without knowing what I'm doing and making sure I can take care of them and make them as happy and comfortable as can be, at the same time knowing that my lifestyle can fit them in. I did all the research in the world just to get a shiba (not the easiest dog breed ever, but I do love my Renji. XD) I have been looking into the specific laws in cities and such of Oklahoma. I don't know exactly where I'll live yet, so I haven't gotten too deep with it, but I have been looking at whats around Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Stillwater (I'm a computer science major in school, so Tulsa and Oklahoma City would have the best job oppurtunities, but I may be wanting to go back to school at OSU for biology to go into bioinformatics. But even animal wants put aside, I'd rather commute than actually live in the city, so I'll see what places within a reasonable commute's distance say on the matter of exotic pets.) Like I said, though, thats well in the distance as I yet have a year in college and then I can't guarentee I'd be able to get a place to allow foxes for my first home when I do move to Oklahoma. But everyday I am unable to actually own a pet is another day to study it and annoy my parents (Mom: Why do you want a fox? Your dog looks just like one!) On the plus side... or the odd side one, I already know my dog gets along with foxes. The wild foxes in our neighborhood have accepted them as one of their own and we've often caught him playing with one. I'd be a little more at ease with that if they weren't truely wild foxes. Even worse, overly brave truely wild foxes who have been human-fed enough to walk right up to you. Mom and dad keep seeing ren greet them outside the garage, wonder why he's out so early/late, and then turn to get a better look to see that it is, infact, a red fox. I can't exactly blame people for mistaking my dog. He is a pretty red color, with a dark tail that hosts a white tip, and when he straightens out his tail he does look an aweful lot like a somewhat stocky fox....

You all are bound to hear much about my lovely critters. :3 Now that I am on my computer proper-like (the first post was posted from my phone...) I must introduce them with pictures. :3

141112_0001_small.jpg

140303_0000_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:07 am

Hi! So many Utah people lately. :)

Amanda and I are both in Utah, and we're fox owners. :) There is also a great facility you can intern at down in Genola called "Wild Wonders." I interned there prior to getting my foxes, and The_randomizer has as well. The owner is very nice and knowledgeable.

I'm always hesitant letting strangers come by my place, BUT if you make an effort to get to know me, I make exceptions, heehee. If you post consistently here, or meet a mutual acquaintance, then I'm usually a lot more comfortable letting people come over. :lol: The_randomizer on here is also from Utah, and he got to know me so he comes by every now and again to see my two foxies.

You sound like me, lol. I'm not a people person either and I feel like I've had to go out of my comfort zone a lot and try to stop being super shy. Social anxiety is still a problem for me, but not as much as it once was. Good for you joining up though and asking questions. :D

That's cool that your shiba plays with the wild foxes, lol. I think that's kind of cute.

Oklahoma is a good state to own exotics in, so that's great if that's where you're planning on ending up. I do not know the laws of the cities there, but generally the more rural the better. Colorado is a really bad place for exotics though--they don't let you have anything. Utah allows red foxes and mink, but that's pretty much it unless you want to get a permit for something else.

Anyways, welcome. :)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
CitricPrincess

Postby CitricPrincess » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:38 am

Well, I may have to make an effort to get to know you then. XD I at least do plan to start posting around here more. Courage growing, niceness is helping. :3

And yeah, my reasoning for going to oklahoma isn't specific to my want of exotics. I was born there, and 2/3 of my extended family live there and I am SICK of mountains and evergreen trees. And the frigid mountain winters and... : P But it's where my parents live, so... But out of hopeful curiosity I went to check the state laws of all the places and Oklahoma seemed really nice and I was all 'those dreams I had in middle school that I recently learned were even possible might even be able to come true!' and was happy about that. But yeah, save for the cat I may get in my apartment in utah when I get that, and perhaps the bettas that I don't have right now and am not used to not having, I'm not going to get any new pets, exotic or otherwise, till I'm settled in a more permanent setting than I am now. Making my parents take care of Ren while I was at school was hard enough on me (and didn't do much for his training....) and I don't want to try to throw anything else on them. I'm getting an apartment near school so I can take Ren off their hands and maybe get a cat (I had a cat. But he was an indoor/outdoor cat and disappeared a few months back, and I miss him dearly, but he wouldn't've been able to come with me anyways 'cause he would never be able to adapt to apartment living. And I do so miss having a kitty of my own around. My brother's is precious, but not mine and I know it and she knows it.)

And I'm only in Utah for school. Don't plan on hanging around there long. Its a beautiful state, but... mountains.

Genola seems to be an hour away from said school, though. Hm... may have to at least see what that all looks like.

And yes, my puppy is adourable playing with the foxes. It was so amusing when we got him, 'cause over the next few weeks all the foxes moved into our yard trying to figure out whether he was one of them or just a dog. I think they've figured it out now, but the friendship has already been made. XD I just worry a little, 'cause they are truely wild animals, and are a little too easy to approach pets and people, but Ren has been vaccinated and doesn't seem to be too interested in sniffing out their dens or otherwise actually annoying them, so I think he's fine.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:54 am

:) That all sounds really good then. I'm glad that the state you want to eventually live in happens to be a good one for exotics too!

I'm not a major fan of mountains either. I'm from the midwest, so woodlands, bluffs, cornfields... That's what I like. But I'm living in an area that's sandwiched between some orchards--so it feels like there are a lot more trees than there are, haha.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula

Return to “INTRODUCTION”