ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Hey there!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

FoxeyLady

Hey there!

Postby FoxeyLady » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:05 pm

My name is Alex (and yes, I'm aware that's a guy name; nothing I can do lol), and I am the proud mama of a six year old, three-legged, purebred, and large hearted, if not irritatingly affectionate, German Shepherd named Duke, as well as a 4 year old pitt bull/beagle mix named Taya Jewel, aka TJ, a very goofy 2 year old retired racing greyhound called Ruby (Arkans Ruby), a very feisty little mutt (awaiting her new mommy--my grandmother) named Lon-Lon for the Zelda franchise, and currently seven adorable new born pups who will be hunting loving homes just in time for Christmas! I am a full time college student, working, and raising my loving fiancé whose name is also Alex. He's a full time college student, studying the fine arts. We've known each other for six years, dated for four, and been engaged for nearly three. I'm the lover of good music (hence the name), good books, and good food! Alex and I love our fur babies to death and have them all spoiled rotten. I've also been in the process of on-going researching, studying, and planning for the adoption of a lovely little fox kit for the past two years. I've been searching for the perfect breeder and breed. It's been a process, but I'm adamant about being fully prepared. So if anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment.(:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hey there!

Postby Ash » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :)

There are no breeds of fox, just species. The reds and arctics, however, have different color morphs. ;)

Most common species in the USA are reds, arctics, grays, and fennecs. Some people have swifts, but those are difficult to come by since there's only 1 breeder we know of. Corsacs seem to only be available in the UK at the moment, though I have heard rumor some have been imported. And bat-eareds--to my knowledge--haven't been kept strictly as "pets" yet, but as educational/display animals.

As far as which species would make the best fit for you, it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something big or small? Colorful? Indoors 24/7? Answering those questions will help you narrow down the species of fox that's right for you.

Also ask yourself where you will be in the next 10-15 years. Foxes are not legal in every state, and even in legal states local ordinances may ban them. So always keep that in mind when getting any exotic animal. If you have to move, you will have to be much more picky about choosing a place that has the right laws, which can be difficult for most people.

Anyways, it's great to have you here, Alex! Hope you ask a lot of questions, and be sure to keep us updated on your fox quest. ;) One of my favorite things is seeing people come here to learn and eventually fulfill their dream of owning their own fox. They can be a lot of work, but if you're prepared for them, they can be very rewarding pets.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:03 am

welcome alex,

glad to have another animal lover here.
hope you post pictures of your babies and tell us more about them.

there is lots of info in the fox forum and lots of fox owners. we are all here to help each other.
we are honest here, and tell everyone the "truth", bad and good.

thats funny that your BF has the the same name as you. guess that could be confusing.
if you later have a baby, hope you don't name him/her alex :lol:

again, welcome. where are here to help.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
FoxeyLady

Postby FoxeyLady » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome(: I'd like a mostly indoor, subdued smelling fox preferably lol. Size isn't really a problem. I just want one that can be somewhat affectionate, which I know is asking a good bit, since from what I've read, that's a rarity.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26 pm

In that case, I'd recommend a swift fox or fennec. Though neither (being foxes) are inherently cuddly, though you could get a special one. And supposedly fennecs are even less cuddly once older (I think they're too ADHD for that :lol:).

Mandy is the only breeder who breeds swifts, so you would have to get on her waiting list. She's hard to get a hold of since she is crazy busy, but she's a great breeder.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
FoxeyLady

Postby FoxeyLady » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 pm

My biggest concern is finding a reputable breeder. There are so many "breeders" who do just awful things to their fur babies. And every seemingly reputable or knowledgable person I've spoken to strongly warns against shipping, but I've spoken with a few "breeders" who refuse to do onsight pickups, but get excellent reviews on their babies. So I have no idea who's good to their babies and who's not. I'm very interested in breeders who pull and bottle raise their babies, as I heard it makes them more sociable. Is this true?
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:15 am

FoxeyLady wrote:My biggest concern is finding a reputable breeder. There are so many "breeders" who do just awful things to their fur babies. And every seemingly reputable or knowledgable person I've spoken to strongly warns against shipping, but I've spoken with a few "breeders" who refuse to do onsight pickups, but get excellent reviews on their babies. So I have no idea who's good to their babies and who's not. I'm very interested in breeders who pull and bottle raise their babies, as I heard it makes them more sociable. Is this true?

I agree with you about some breeders, that goes beyond foxes too icon-sad on another note, there are good breeders, it is finding them. I don't know what state you are in, but, make sure you check with your state and local area for the legality of owning one. I know Tiny Tracks is a good breeder, as is a few others (that I know of) as far as I know, most sell usually the red fox family foxes.

you are correct about the breeder pulling the kits and bottle feeding, this helps with human bonding process.

for the swift, as Ash mentioned, Mandy sells them. I believe she ships, and we know she is a good breeder also.

If you decide to go with a red fox family, they will need an outdoor pen, but, that don't mean you can't never bring them in the house. I let my 3 in the house with me as much as I can.
if you want a fox that is super friendly, the more time you spend with it, the better. but, as Ash pointed out,
don't expect a fox to be cuddly like a dog is.

if you decide to build a pen later, please read the post in the fox forum "anya". it helps with ideas of building a secure pen.
sad, cause the owner of anya, lost her fox from a predator :cry:

thank you again for joining us, and thank you for researching prior to getting your fox. I promise, you will be happy you did, as will your fox that you did research further information..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
magicpaws788

Postby magicpaws788 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:03 am

Hi everyone!
I'm new here, just signed up a few minutes ago.An animal lover too.
:thank: :thank:

Return to “INTRODUCTION”