PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Future Fox Breeder

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Sammy

Future Fox Breeder

Postby Sammy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Hello, new here :)

I am a future silver fox breeder with my first batch of kits on the way now, and couldn't be more excited. Of course, they'll be gone as soon as they're weaned (unless my foxes have more than two in their first litter), but if you have any interest you can just let me know. :icon-wink:

If you've got any tips on litter training or harness training, I'd be happy to have them. We're currently having issues finding proper harnesses for our foxes, as they slip out of them all! Recommendations would be great.

Anyway, thanks in advance for help! I've already found some pretty useful information on this website. icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Future Fox Breeder

Postby Ash » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's great to see another fox breeder on here. :)

What's your USDA number? Are you USDA licensed as a breeder? Just making sure since it's illegal to sell fox kits without a USDA license. And if you apply for it now, you'd probably get it in time for kit season.

Congrats about your two. Have you witnessed any mating between them? I know it's typically February that the males and females are both in season, but just wondering if you've seen anything "going on," lol.

I'd love to see pics of the foxes too. Also, where are you located? If you're licensed and selling kits this year, many people might be interested depending on your location.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 pm

Ash wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum. It's great to see another fox breeder on here. :)

What's your USDA number? Are you USDA licensed as a breeder? Just making sure since it's illegal to sell fox kits without a USDA license. And if you apply for it now, you'd probably get it in time for kit season.

Congrats about your two. Have you witnessed any mating between them? I know it's typically February that the males and females are both in season, but just wondering if you've seen anything "going on," lol.

I'd love to see pics of the foxes too. Also, where are you located? If you're licensed and selling kits this year, many people might be interested depending on your location.

Hi :) I am currently applying for my license and reside in Virginia.

My male has been, if you will, "getting excited", while the female hasn't seemed to go into heat yet. This is actually my first time owning exotics, but I can tell you that I've found my passion in it. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

The thing I'm mainly worried about is that they didn't really start getting along until roughly a month/ month and 1/2 ago.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47 am

Congrats and good luck on applying for the USDA license. :) I'm hoping to finally get that done once new enclosures go up this spring.

Dave from Tiny Tracks says females will go into heat AFTER the males go into season. He says the males are what really gets the females going into heat. Most fur farmers say the same thing.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:21 am

Here are the pictures, as requested. You can tell that the male (Templeton) has put on some weight with a bit of age and his winter coat, and a couple of the pictures look a little funky because my phone has an automatic filter on the camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Aaaaww, they're beautiful and they both seem so happy. :) I was going to give my foxies a tire to play with, but my female would literally just eat it, so only cardboard for her.

Fable gets a bit chunky in the wintertime and incredibly floofy (he's a cross fox). I can't feel his ribs easily during the wintertime, but during the summer, I can easily feel them. I think it's perfectly normal and acceptable for them to put on some winter fat, so no worries about your Templeton as long as he slims down in the summertime. ;)

Even if they're both silvers, you may get other wildtype colors popping up in the litter too depending on the genes. I can't wait to see if she has kits this year though.

What's the female's name?
KingObeat

Postby KingObeat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice foxes. I've always been more fond of the black ones, for some reason.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Sammy

Postby Sammy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:06 am

Thank you both :)

The female's name is Pepper. I've yet to pet her since she never got much human interaction when she was younger, but just looking at her is fine with me.

I'm also really excited to see the different colors. I'm hoping for a marbled baby eventually, but I'm not quite sure what the chances of that happening are. Aren't black foxes somewhat rare as well?

Neither of them really chews on things in their enclosure other than toys, though Pepper has been known to chew off Templeton's good harnesses (He no longer wears them in the kennel). They do, however, rip up their blankets and drag them out of the little houses we built for them to lay out in the open. Is it normal that they'd rather sleep exposed like that?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Sammy wrote:Thank you both :)

The female's name is Pepper. I've yet to pet her since she never got much human interaction when she was younger, but just looking at her is fine with me.

I'm also really excited to see the different colors. I'm hoping for a marbled baby eventually, but I'm not quite sure what the chances of that happening are. Aren't black foxes somewhat rare as well?

Neither of them really chews on things in their enclosure other than toys, though Pepper has been known to chew off Templeton's good harnesses (He no longer wears them in the kennel). They do, however, rip up their blankets and drag them out of the little houses we built for them to lay out in the open. Is it normal that they'd rather sleep exposed like that?

Yes, 100% normal behavior, lol. Many foxes, even when provided shelter, will sleep in the rain, mud, or snow. They're just weirdos--haha.

Silvers are black foxes. Though there have been fur farmers (don't know of any specific farmer) who breeds for less silver in the coats. So while they are still silver foxes, they are more "black" than usual. But like I said, I don't know anyone personally who is selectively breeding that trait. So if there were a "black" coloration, it would not be a new mutation--it would just be a selectively-bred silver.

A marble won't pop up in the litter. It is a dominant trait--so one of the parents already has to be marble. You will get wildtype kits in your litter: silver, cross, red, and gold. Gold and red are pretty much interchangeable in the pet industry--it's only in the fur industry where they get down to the nitty-gritty with the genes.

So really, just three colors: silver, cross, and red. I'd expect mostly silvers or crosses, and a red if you're lucky.

Keep us updated on getting USDA-licensed. It's a tough process to go through, and many people who have started the process back out since it seems intimidating. So hang in there so that if your Pepper does have some kits, you can legally sell them. If you ever need help with the paperwork, there are several people on here who can help you with that.

I know of some people who illegally sell their foxes, and geez, they can get in HUGE trouble for that with the feds... But that's a tangent.

Anyway, your silvers are both gorgeous and beautiful. I'm glad you can appreciate Pepper for what she is, even if you can't pet her. It takes a really dedicated, loving owner to take in a fox like that. :)

Return to “INTRODUCTION”