PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

ey

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Vagrant

ey

Postby Vagrant » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:40 pm

hello, i'm Vagrant. i'm some kind of dude. i'm nineteen years old and from Georgia, US. exotic ownership is an interesting topic to me (though i'm not sure i'll ever own an exotic myself, definitely don't want to atm and likely can't as Georgia's laws are pretty strict last time i checked) so i figured why not join a forum about it? myself, i have two guinea pigs, Rebecca and Halatali. we have more animals in the house but i don't take care of them, although i've been educating myself about them and trying to improve their situations b/c my family isn't big on the welfare of their animals, unfortunately.

i went off on a tangent there, but anyway! the exotics i'm most interested in are foxes, servals, and wolfdogs, if they're even considered totally "exotic." i'm pretty new to this. i have a casual interest in raising chickens, as well. i know i want more guinea pigs, some rats, and different kinds of arachnids one day. that's just animals i'd like to own, though. :P my favorite animals in general are hyenas, rodents, birds, canines, and arachnids.

my not-animal related interests include astronomy, video games, and role-playing! i hope to have a great time at this forum and learn lots. c:
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Re: ey

Postby sarajeku » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi there!
We have a couple of wolfdog people. Myself, and Cindy (who has experience with all contents), and maybe a couple of others that I might not be thinking of off the top of my head. I have a low content (not much wolf, mostly husky and some shepherd), and I've been spending a lot of time with other contents to get experience with them before making the leap to something with more wolf content.

There are LOTS of fox people here! This is definitely the right place for fox info! I'm pretty sure there are some serval owners here too, but I'm not sure how active they are. I usually just frequent the canine related boards.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Wolfdogs are completely illegal to own in Georgia unfortunately.

Georgia

Private possession of wolves and Wolf Hybrids is prohibited in the state; they are defined as "Wild Animals." See OCGA §27-5-1 through §27-5-12, specifically §27-5-5(a).

"Wild animal" means any animal which is not wildlife and is not normally a domestic species in this state. This term specifically includes any hybrid or cross between any combination of a wild animal, wildlife, and a domestic animal. Offspring from all subsequent generations of such crosses or hybrids are wild animals.

28-5-4(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to import, transport, transfer, sell, purchase or possess any wild animal ... without first obtaining a wild animal license from the department... (b) Wild animal licenses will be issued only to persons engaged in the wholesale or retail wild animal business or persons exhibiting wild animals to the public."

"... except that any person possessing hybrid crosses between wolves and domestic animals on July 1, 1994 shall have until July 1, 1995 to apply for a fee-exempt permit to possess these animals as pets; provided, however, that the said hybrid is sexually neutered; provided, further, that it shall be unlawful to transfer possession or ownership of said hybrid without prior written approval from the department. Liability insurance shall not be mandatory for wolf hybrids possessed under this fee-exempt permit.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:09 pm

I'm pretty sure foxes and servals are both illegal too, unfortunately. I know foxes are on that list, but you should double check for servals. :shrug:

Cindy beat me to it with that edit. lol
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:43 pm

I knew a Vagrant a long time ago on a pet sim site. You wouldn't happen to be into those would you?

Anyway, welcome to the board. We seem to have a lot of overlapping interests.

Georgia is unfortunately not legal for foxes either.
http://theartfulfox.tumblr.com/post/582 ... ws-georgia

South Carolina and Florida are nearby if you're up for a move though when it comes to foxes. Florida is especially good with exotics.
Vagrant

Postby Vagrant » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Cindy & sarajeku - yeah, i expected as much. XD i didn't recall specifics from when i read on the laws but i knew it was pretty much everything. even if i lived in a state where they were legal, i'm far from having the finances or enough experience to feel comfortable with animals like that anyway. and i plan on eventually moving once i get a job and can save up money; i just don't see myself living here the rest of my life for a lot of reasons, lol. i haven't looked at where exactly i'd go yet, but yeah.

thanks, though. ^^;

Alynn - i am. o: which pet site are you talking about? i'm on a few. and thanks for the info.
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:06 am

I'm glad you're being responsible and waiting until you're stable before jumping into an exotic! Soooo many people (myself being guilty as well) are so eager to dive into the world of exotics before being completely stable. I got my LC wolfdog when I was about to graduate college and was transitioning to living in another area. Now, I have a stable job, my own house, and I'm supporting myself, but it has been a difficult journey.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:15 am

Hey there and welcome to the forum. :)

I love foxes--all species. I only own red foxes right now (vulpes vulpes), but I would sure love to own the rest. Anything from arctics to bat-eared. Wolves are really neat animals, and wolfdogs are legal where I'm at, so may be a possibility sooner than later. Oh, and I do love the hyena species--they're my dream animals. :)

Reptiles are awesome too, and if you like scales as much as fur, there are quite a few options there. States are USUALLY more lax with their reptile laws too, which is nice. Snakes make great pets and are relatively easy to care for as long as your setup is good from the get-go. The bigger lizards seem really fun too, because they're actually smart and capable of affection. Reptile husbandry is improving each year, and more studies are being done that show they are smarter than we all once believed.

I am happy and content with what I currently own, but I can't wait for the day I can own more, lol. ;)

Nice to meet ya. I always like it when we get new members, and I hope you stick around!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Vagrant

Postby Vagrant » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:41 am

sarajeku - i understand, somewhat. i was like that when i first started owning guinea pigs. i was fourteen and i guess i thought i could trust the adults with everything. i don't like the mistakes i made, but even though it was difficult i think i learned a lot of important lessons, you know?

Ash - i think just about everything is neat! i have a peculiar cockroach phobia so that's the only thing i don't express at least a "that's a cool-looking critter" reaction over. i do like reptiles, but never really thought of owning them myself, for...some reason. i guess all the mammals and inverts are just higher on my "want list" ha. that's pretty interesting, though! it's nice to meet you as well and i hope i stick around, too. :P

right now i really need to get ready for bed though. ;o thank you for the warm welcome!
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:33 am

Vagrant wrote:Cindy & sarajeku - yeah, i expected as much. XD i didn't recall specifics from when i read on the laws but i knew it was pretty much everything. even if i lived in a state where they were legal, i'm far from having the finances or enough experience to feel comfortable with animals like that anyway. and i plan on eventually moving once i get a job and can save up money; i just don't see myself living here the rest of my life for a lot of reasons, lol. i haven't looked at where exactly i'd go yet, but yeah.

thanks, though. ^^;

Alynn - i am. o: which pet site are you talking about? i'm on a few. and thanks for the info.

Wajas is the one I was most active on.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:30 am

Vagrant

welcome to our message board.

glad to hear you are going to do research prior to getting an exotic animal.
as mentioned, there is lots of fox owners and info here.

my personal opinion only, raccoons are my favorites. they are full of personality.
I have raised many different type of animals (black bears, foxes, raccoons, emus, rheas, llamas and more)
out of all the animals I have or had, raccoons are my favorite.

keep in mind, all animals need proper understanding and proper care in order to have a well behaved or less aggressive animal. also as mentioned, make sure you are live in a stable and permanent home before getting any exotic.

thank you for joining us and I hope you find this board helpful.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Vagrant

Postby Vagrant » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:01 pm

Alynn - ah, i was never on Wajas. i'm most active on Sylestia, and on rare occasions you could find me kicking around Neopets or Goatlings. i'm on others but haven't been for very long and have never done community-related things.

pat - thanks for the reply. i'm sure i will find it helpful. c:
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:32 am

@Vagrant
Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place for information on owning an exotic or even if you just wanna know a little more about them. I myself just joined here recently, though I had been stalking this site for information regarding mostly foxes and coons for about a year. You will find alot of people here with experience on handling basically any animal, even a normal house pet. It's good to see someone doing alot of research if he/she is planning to own a pet, exotic or not. There are lots of people who think it's not worth the time and don't really know what they are in for. It shows you have much more potential and that you care about an animals well-being. Hope you find answers to whatever questions you have!

Return to “INTRODUCTION”