PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Platypus (didn't know where to post)

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxylady23

Platypus (didn't know where to post)

Postby Foxylady23 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Okay, curiosity question because it's been bothering me for years. When I was a kid I was convinced I wanted a platypus. I had a plan to make a whole Olympic sized pool for it in my backyard (aren't kids cute?) and now that I'm an exotics owner, the question bothers me...could you actually own one?! I had no clue where to ask this question so I kinda am just asking here. I am perfectly content with my 4 going on 6 sugar gliders, my future fox kit, my 3 axolotls, and whatever else I want to own to the zoo, I just can't stop wondering lol! Thanks ahead guys!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Platypus (didn't know where to post)

Postby Ash » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:24 am

Sadly, it is impossible to own a platypus... Australia has stopped all native animal exports, so nothing is coming out of Australia anymore. Which stinks. There's so many cool, even endangered animals over there that could be spread across breeding programs all over the world.

I don't know the legalities of platypus ownership in Australia--probably requires lots of paperwork and may be plain illegal. If you watch youtube videos of them, they seem cuddly and affectionate. They are also venomous though, so you'd have to be careful with their spurs--unless you got them removed.

Trust me, I wish there were some around somewhere. But not even zoos have them. We're lucky we got the cockatoos, wallabies, kangaroos, and bearded dragons when we did.

EDIT: I'd love to see you start a post with your axolotls. They are a species that really interest me, and maybe something I'd like to own someday. They're such cool creatures. I wish I could hold them--but I know handling them needs to be limited and infrequent.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Foxylady23

Postby Foxylady23 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:33 am

Actually, I handle my axies all the time! Lol never out of the water, but I have trained mine to come up to my hand and feed from my palm so a lot of times they'll swim up to the surface and sit on my hand. Plus, they think it's hilarious to gulp in air and float around, so I'll put my hand under them so they can rest and enjoy their "bubble trips" as we call it lol! If I knew how to post pictures in here I totally would! I have a million! Where the heck would I post about them? Lol

Edit: the only thing you shouldn't do is pet them. But letting them sit in your hand is fine. If you rub them the slime coat could come off and cause irritation, but I get a quick pet in every once in a while lol! They're such fun pets and actually pretty easy!

That stinks! I'd love to own one lol but it'd probably be for the best. After the zoo I own I'm lucky to even get a date lol! Eh, I still have my foxes on the list and some other weird creatures so I think I'll manage the blow of not owning my plat! And besides that, my gliders would be ever so jealous. They are mommys spoiled babies and they sure do know it! Lol
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:52 am

Wow there really aren't any in US zoos. Here's more info/discussion http://www.zoochat.com/2/why-no-platypu ... ia-214993/

While Aus doesn't export their animals now most can at least be found in zoos so it seems at least part breeding issue as well if the ones that left Aus before they stopped exporting had bred there would still be some in zoos. And where there are animals in AZA zoos there a slimmer of hope as awhile ago an echidna came up for sale privately, which had to have been zoo "surplus"(or they just knew thy could get more for it in a private sale than zoo trade).

They are breeding better now but it was a problem back when they did allow some out.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Wow, I'm surprised an echidna just "popped" up. I don't know of any AZA zoos with them... anywhere. Maybe Russia somehow has some? They kind of seem to ignore everybody else and do their own thing. (Not that I'm encouraging to buy anything/import anything illegally, obviously--just saying that over there in some parts of Asia there could be some zoos with them... maybe.)

That sounds so cute! I really want to see your axolotl post now!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:17 pm

It was awhile ago actually. I just found it 2013 and was more than one actually. Ken had some or was brokering them. He works with or worked with zoos. The species is also seen in New Guinea (short beaked echidna). I'm not sure NG export rules so maybe they were a special wild import since he had more than one. Don't think any zoo would have several extra.
http://exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/84 ... ilable.asp

Return to “INTRODUCTION”