PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

hey hey

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

cds

hey hey

Postby cds » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:15 am

Hi all

I live in rural wisconsin. Never had any exotic pets before, just 2 huskies and a malamute. My first dog passed last year and without her marking the property, coyotes have been coming in pretty close. It's funny I never knew there were this many around. I've seen a total of 3 in 5 years and now that she's gone I see one walking through my front yard at least once a week. I've always admired them from a distance, but lately I've been contemplating trying to find a pup. With a captive wildlife license it is allowed in my state.

Just finished my new dog pen, it's about an acre fenced in with 6 foot fencing, with electric wire top and bottom. Built to be husky proof. With a smaller closed top enclosure I would meet the legal requirements.

Anyway, nice place ya got here. Looks like I'll be busy reading for a while.
-Chris
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hey hey

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :) Coyotes can make very good pets, but for their enclosures you would need dig guards for sure to make sure they couldn't get out through the bottom. A coyote can probably easily get over a 6 foot fence--even with hotwire. My foxes could, and they are a lot smaller.

However, when your coyote is being supervised, the closed-in yard would be great fun and a nice romp. But when you're not actively with your coyote, make sure it is kept securely in a separate enclosure. (It sounded like that's what you were planning on doing)

We have very few members here who have owned coyotes (they've become inactive though), and a few of us have had the opportunity to work around them and interact with them. My experiences with a coyote were very positive, and I enjoyed being around her.

Anyway, it's great to have you here. :) Please read as much as you want, and if you ever have any questions, always feel more than free to ask.

A member here, Cindy, owns super-high content wolfdogs, and she knows about coyotes as well. So I'm sure if you ever run into trouble or have a question, she can help you out with that.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
cds

Postby cds » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome. You're right that the big pen would just be for exercise and playing under supervision.

I agree in adding a dig guard. While the electric is a great deterrent, it only works when it isn't shorted. I only built it last year, and I found out that high tension field fence doesn't really like contouring to the land, and it is very hilly here. I'm worried about erosion opening up spaces under the fence, and weeds shorting it out.

My original intent was to simply get more dogs. I'll always love dogs, but sometimes it just seems too "easy" for lack of a better word. Raising a coyote has been in the back of my mind for years, but I think I'm finally in a good position to make it happen.

My biggest apprehension is whether or not I could find a coyote after putting all the resources into preparing for one. The impression I've gotten so far is that it isn't impossible, so I'm going to keep moving forward. Worst case scenario I'll have a very secure isolation pen in case I need it for one of my dogs.

I have a few ideas for the secure enclosure. I'll make a separate thread though. It would be awesome to get some feedback from a wolfdog person :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:10 pm

There are tons of coyote breeders out there--don't worry about that. They don't advertise much, but if you posted a wanted ad on exoticanimalsforsale.net, you'd probably get lots of people responding to you. They aren't nearly as popular as foxes, so there aren't many "well-known" breeders with them. But finding one will be easily. They're usually only around $400-$500. Spend the money on the pen, make it awesome, and get the appropriate permits in advance. Obtaining a coyote will be the easiest least expensive part, imo.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
aspartime

Postby aspartime » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:06 am

All you need is 6 foot wire fencing with 1.5 feet of it under ground. I had a large male coyote for 7 years and he never was able to climb or jump out or dig under it.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Welcome! Glad you could join!

Coyotes are all around us, very smart little things, we rarely see them, but their tracks are all over the place. Just a couple days ago one got hit on the road, the poor little thing. :icon-frown:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:17 pm

aspartime wrote:All you need is 6 foot wire fencing with 1.5 feet of it under ground. I had a large male coyote for 7 years and he never was able to climb or jump out or dig under it.

Cool. You must have had a really laid-back coyote though, lol. Everyone I've talked to with one needs WAY more than that to keep them contained. Really awesome to see an owner and hear about yours.
aspartime

Postby aspartime » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:00 am

ok I will repost 2 posts i made in other areas. I'm lazy and old and in fact this is the 1st thing I have ever done on the internet joining this site. It was cool having a coyote but like I said im getting old so I plan on not breeding anymore dogs after the litter I have coming. I dont want to die and have any dogs still alive that someone has to take care of. My Coyote was a good pet but he probably did good here because I have Shiba Inus and they look and act just like coyotes. Where I live I have to have a Kennel license and im inspected 2x per year. I always worried that they would find out I had a coyote since they are illegal here to own. But he looked very similar to my Shibas so no one ever noticed. I took him to a dog park only 1 time he was very growlly so I left. I do all my own shots even rabies so I never took him to the vet once. How I got him was one day I left one of my gates open and he came onto the property. I closed the gate and did not know he was on the property. I let the dogs out and they started freaking out, I went to investigate and they had him surrounded. I got the dogs in and left him out there a few days later I brought him some meat. He would not come near me but He was eating the food. I let a few of my more mellow dogs out with him and eventually they got used to him. Eventually he got used to the whole pack of them. It took maybe a month but i got him into the house.
I put on lots of clothes and gloves and a motorcycle helmet and grabbed him and held him for a few minutes at a time. Eventually he got used to me, it took a few days. He had a bad skin infection maybe Mange so I put antibiotic powder into his water. Eventually I got him into my room and eventually was able to pet him without gloves. Giving him shots was not to bad since i use Diabetic needles which are real small. He loved tuna so I would give him a can and then give him a shot real quick. Within the first year he gained weight and started looking more round and healthy. He also had real bad fleas when I got him. It was alot of work but he eventually became domesticated. but having a bunch of Shiba Inus I think made him think that he was in a pack of Coyotes. My biggest Shiba is 35 lbs and he was 25 to 30 lbs throughout his life. In his last few months of life he started having seizures and losing weight. He was looking real old. His last week or so he could not eat and could barley move. I think he was around 4 or 5 when I got him based on the fact that most only live to be 4 or 5 in the wild. I had him for 2 weeks over 7 years. I think it would be much easier to get a Coyote as a puppy. I think if your wanting a Coyote you should already have a few dogs and a big yard.

I had a pet coyote for 7 years. He died in 2014. He was full grown when I got him. It took a few years for him to get used to me and my other dogs. He would stay outside for 3 or 4 days sometimes and only come in to eat. After 3 years or so he became mostly domesticated. I have 7 acres 5 of which are fenced in with 6 foot metal fencing with 1 to 2 feet of it under ground. I have some other dogs but only 1 male who is fixed they got along quite well. He tried to mate with some of my female dogs, he would try real hard but was only successful 1 time. The resulting liter was only 2 pups. 1 male 1 female. I have them both still. The female hybrid is very wild she loves to kill things and then rub in them she also will stay outside for days at a time. The male pup was born with a deformed leg and he is very thin. He acts much more dog like and loves to hang out with his dog mother. He acts like any other dog except he doesn't listen and bites hard while playing. He is neutered but still pees in the house everyday. The female is currently 4 weeks pregnant I think by a dog. She is honestly smarter then most dogs, she seems to understand most everything i say. She is 100% potty trained and has never gone to the bathroom in the house since she was a puppy. She is probably 2x the size of her mother maybe 30 or so lbs and her mom is 15. The male coyote I had became very loving and lazy the last 2 years. He would sleep in the bed and even snuggle sometimes. He did strange things like go under the covers headfirst all the way to my feet and sleep there, i have no idea how he was able to get air. He only escaped the yard 2 times. One time i gave chase and caught him when he tried to mark. The 2nd escape he was gone for 2 days, I got lucky and someone called me, he had gone into there yard and went right up to them when they offered him food. He was about a mile from my place.

I think Coyote behavior is like dog behavior its different with each one. I currently have 2 Coydogs and 8 dogs and 2 cats. I had a wild born coyote male for 7 years. I got him when he was full grown his age was unknown. His personality changed over time. The last 2 years he was very lazy and liked snugging. Also he learned how to bark after 3 or 4 years. He also taught the dogs how to howl. They would sometimes all start howling randomly. His 2 offspring are very different acting then he was. His son was born with a deformed front leg and is a more dog like but cannot be potty trained. His daughter is very smart and 2 times the size of the male, she looks very coyote and has wild coloring. She is 100% potty trained but is moody and will stay outside for days on end and will usually sleep under the bed when inside. I can make her come onto the bed and hang with me for a minute but she will always go hide unless there are no other animals in the room. Sometimes she will sleep with me in the bed if we are alone. Right now she is pregnant and im excited about seeing the pups. She is strangely smart and seems to know whatever i ask of her. I can even make her go into the shower with me just by telling here to a few times. My coyote male actually liked to take showers, but the water had to be almost cold. When the female dogs would go into heat he would go completely insane. He would stay up for days on end and make noises constantly. He would try to mate with them over and over but was never successful except 1 time. He tried 1000's of time over the years. He bit me at few times badly when the girls were in heat. It got to where I would just separate him when a girl was in heat because he would be completely insane. So insane that I thought many times he was going to die he would not eat or drink all he wanted was to be near the female and other then that his mind was gone. Its hard to explain how intense it was, he was like a rabid dog. When the girl got out of heat he would sleep for 2 to 3 days.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”