PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New Here

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

FallDeere

New Here

Postby FallDeere » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Hey y'all, I'm Fall. =)

I am a life-long lover of all animals. There's not really an animal I dislike (fear, yes; dislike, no lol). I currently own four gerbils and 7-ish rats (one is a temporary rescue I am in the process of re-homing). In the future, I hope to own mice and African Soft Furred Rats. Clearly, I have a preference for rodents. Ever since I got my first rats in 2012, I've been obsessed with rodents of all sorts, but even before that I loved capybaras; the largest rodent.

For as long as I can remember, capybaras have intrigued me. I loved seeing them in zoos and reading about them. A few years ago, I was shocked to find there were people keeping these amazing creatures as pets! My favorite herbivore... could be in my backyard? WHAT?! Stinkin' awesome! So I went researching and read everything I could about keeping them as pets... and decided they weren't for me, lol. Still love them, but they are far far too big.

A few years after discounting capybaras as a future pet, I stumbled across the cute little Patagonian Cavy. Another large rodent, but with different housing needs and care requirements and more the size of a small dog. Perfect, I thought! But I still wasn't anywhere near in a position to have a pet larger than a rat, so... I forgot about the cavy and moved on.

I am here before you today because I finally might be in a position to have Patagonian Cavies. Soon, I will (hopefully) be moving to a house in the country, on an acre. I am still researching the care and keeping of these exotic pets, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them. I've had rats, gerbils, dogs, horses, and cats, but never anything like these cavies. I'm a great learner and love research (I never get any pet I haven't thoroughly researched), but research can only take me so far. I'd love to find an owner of them that I could ask questions of.

Also, I was hoping someone here might know the best place to get a Patagonian Cavy... I live in Texas (DFW area). I found one breeder in Texas, but it looks like they only sell to licensed facilities like zoos.

There are admittedly other exotics I'd like to get, but silly Texas made them illegal... It looks like I could have a pure wolf, but not a tiny Fennec Fox? Seriously? >.<

Anyways, hello people! I hope to learn from all of you. :)

(And I want to make it 100% clear that I won't jump into getting any sort of exotic or pet of any kind. I researched rats and gerbils for 2 years before getting them. I don't do things on a whim and I make completely sure I can provide everything the animal needs. There is no need to worry about me going into this unprepared.)
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Here

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:52 pm

I love maras(p cavies). I met one once. It was the store mascot. I came right up to me to say high and ask me to pet it. It made these adorable mugwai noises. We don't have the space here for a proper outdoor area for one(or more)though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi, and welcome. There's a very good capybara breeder down in Texas, actually. :) Great to have you here!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:38 pm

It wouldn't be that easy to own a pure wolf though in Tx. as they have them listed as a dangerous wild animal. There's a lot of rules like certain type of caging, along with having $100,000 liability insurance.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... 2/F/62.101

In this subchapter:(1) "Captivity" means the state of being held under control or kept caged or penned.(2) "Dangerous wild animal" means a lion, tiger, leopard, cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros and includes any species, subspecies, or hybrid of any of those animals. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... YCVYA.dpuf

Health and Safety Code Section 822.103
CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION; FEES.
(a) A
person may not own, harbor, or have custody or control of a

dangerous wild animal for any purpose unless the person holds a
certificate of registration for that animal issued by an animal
registration agency.
(b) A certificate of registration issued
under this
subchapter is not transferrable and is valid for one
year after its
date of issuance or renewal unless revoked.
(c) The animal registration agency may establish and charge
reasonable fees for application, issuance, and renewal of a
certificate of registration in order to recover the costs
associated with the administration and enforcement of this
subchapter. The fee charged to an applicant may not exceed $50 for
each animal registered and may not exceed $500 for each person
registering animals, regardless of the number of animals owned by
the person. The fees collected under this section may be used only
to administer and enforce this subchapter.

Health and Safety Code Section 822.107: LIABILITY INSURANCE
An owner of a dangerous wild animal shall maintain liability insurance coverage in an amount of not less than $100,000 for each occurrence for liability for damages for destruction of or damage to property and death or bodily injury to a person caused by the dangerous wild animal.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... /E/822.107

Health and Safety Code Section 822.111:POWERS AND DUTIES OF BOARD; CAGING REQUIREMENTS AND STANDARDS

(a) The board by rule shall establish caging requirements and standards for the keeping and confinement of a dangerous wild animal to ensure that the animal is kept in a manner and confined in a primary enclosure that:
(1) protects and enhances the public's health and safety;
(2) prevents escape by the animal; and
(3) provides a safe, healthy, and humane environment for the animal.
(b) An owner of a dangerous wild animal shall keep and confine the animal in accordance with the caging requirements and standards established by the board.
(c) An animal registration agency may approve a deviation from the caging requirements and standards established by the board, only if:
(1) the animal registration agency has good cause for the deviation; and
(2) the deviation:
(A) does not compromise the public's health and safety;
(B) does not reduce the total area of the primary enclosure below that established by the board; and
(C) does not otherwise adversely affect the overall welfare of the animal involved.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... /E/822.111

Added by Acts
2001, 77th Leg., ch. 54, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
http://law.onecle.com/texas/health/822.103.00.html

"Animal registration agency" is defined as "the municipal or county animal control office with authority over the area where a dangerous wild animal is kept or a county sheriff in an area that does not have an animal control office." Id. § 822.101(1).

§
240.002. REGULATION:
(a) The commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or regulate the keeping of a wild animal in
the county.
(b) The order does not apply inside the limits of a municipality.

Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 149, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 54, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
http://law.onecle.com/texas/local-gover ... 02.00.html
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:47 am

Strange. The websites I was reading made it sound like wolves were perfectly legal... Must have been outdated.

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exotic_ ... ummary.php

Irreverent to me, though. I never want a wolf or wolfdog. Waaaaaaaay more than I want to handle. I'll stick with exotic rodents, though it looks like it will be a long time until I can get a Mara now.
Cindy23323
Assistant
Assistant

Postby Cindy23323 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:00 am

Yea, a lot of those sites that were done by private people are outdated, you have to check out the states sites also. I'm more into wolves and wds so I know how those are working. Even if a state says they're ok, you have to check with the city and county law because they can say they're illegal in that area.
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:21 am

If wolves and wolf hybrids are illegal without registering them, someone should tell all the people selling "wolfdogs" on my local Craig's List. lol. Not that any of them actually have any wolf in them...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:30 pm

FallDeere wrote:If wolves and wolf hybrids are illegal without registering them, someone should tell all the people selling "wolfdogs" on my local Craig's List. lol. Not that any of them actually have any wolf in them...

Tell me about it! :wall: So many ignorant people not educating themselves at all or purposefully misrepresenting. Drives me crazy! lol
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:48 pm

It's awful. :( Most are just husky/German Shepherd/random mixes and some were even pure husky! One person did look like their pups had wolf in them, but if so... That's stinkin' dangerous (legally, morally, and safety wise) to just advertize on CL. Who knows what type of person might get them and a lot of people shouldn't even have dogs, much less wolfdogs. lol.

Return to “INTRODUCTION”