PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Newbie!

Tell us a little about yourself, pets or whatever.

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Hydreigon

Newbie!

Postby Hydreigon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Hey there. My name is Shannon, and I'm 19 and from Alberta, Canada. I joined this website after lurking for close to a year, as I wanted to be more of a part in the exotic community (though I have no exotics... YET!). I'm really excited to be here, and owe so much to you guys- without this forum, I'd probably still be in the dark about many of the aspects of exotic owning.

I have interests in prehistoric animals, history (WWII, mostly), pokemon, biology, microbiology and anatomy, and animals. I'm kind of in a low spot in my life- I'm saving for a trip to Germany and working... nothing particularly exciting.

My current aspirations are to master German, get a degree in something (I am undecided of what I want to do...) and work with animals, whether it be a side thing or my career. My top favourite animals are wild boar/pigs, mink, and hyenas.

Unfortunately, Canada's exotic laws are bollocks, so I am not yet an exotic owner. I do have very lovely and wonderful domestic fur children in the form of Peanut the pug and Sienna the Abyssinian. these are my animals and will be coming with me when I leave.

And while they're not technically mine (though I do live with them, they are my parents animals and I won't be taking them when I move out), here is Tigger, the giant brown SiamesexRagdoll, Feather Blue, the show type, lynx point Siamese in the back, and Wild Bill (from the same breeder as Sienna) the little Tonk.
Fur Children: Peanut (pug), Sienna (Abyssinian)
Domesticated Wishlist: Pomeranian, Oriental Shorthair, Pot-Belly Pig, Ferret
Exotic Wishlist: American Mink, Fennec Fox, tarantulas (too many different species to count!), Spotted Hyena
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie!

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:48 am

Hi! And welcome. :) I'm a hyena-lover too, and we don't get too many of those around here, lol. I'm mostly interested in aardwolves and striped hyenas, but spotteds would be neat to own sometime down the road too. But that's why my profile pic is of an aardwolf--to remind me of my dream. Hoping I'll be able to get the money to afford one.

Abyssinians are very pretty. I was at the vet's recently, and the clinic owns one. It was SOOOO friendly and sweet. It jumped up on my sister's shoulders and laid across the back of her neck like how someone would carry a lamb, lol.

I see you like tarantulas. I wasn't a fan of them until I forced myself to hold one--it just felt like a little animal as opposed to a spider. Which was kind of cool. But I always like checking them out at the reptile shows--there's always the table with all the different species and colors. Wish I knew more about them.

Anyway, I'm glad you found this place. :) We will have to chat hyenas often, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Hydreigon

Re: Newbie!

Postby Hydreigon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:14 am

Hey, thanks for the welcome :) it is certainly exciting to meet another hyena enthusiast (most of the people I know don't like them :/). I love all members of the hyena family, and will probably start with a striped as they're uh, less lethal than a spotted could be. I'd love to own a brown one day as well, but seeing as they're endangered, that probably won't happen. xD But yeah, the spotted is one of the more challenging, expensive, and potentially dangerous exotics on my list, so I'll probably get experience with other large animals first. I do think they have potential to be great pets, though, as long as their needs are met and you pay attention to their body language.

Aardwolves are very cute, I wish you luck in your endeavours to own one! I feel like they'd be great, unique pets because of their temperament (though their diet seems like it'd be difficult to sort out.). Do you have an approximation on when you're planning to get one? I'm not sure what their initial cost or annual budget would be, as I've never seen them in captivity.

Yes, my abbey does that too! They're very outgoing and quirky cats, and are almost greedy for affection. Mine will lay across your neck and use your shoulder as transport- not the funniest thing in the world when you're wearing a tank top, but at least her claws are small :D I'll have to take some videos of her and post them.

Yeah, tarantulas are unique in the fact they don't really feel like an invert. They're fuzzy and have little spider paws~ Reptile shows are great for seeing them, especially the rarer species. I always get really excited at reptile shows as they have some neat stuff there, like some beautiful snakes with white patterns and unique colours (I don't know a while lot about snakes, I should probably change that.)
I am actually arachnophobic to a certain extent; while I love spiders, I get the heeby jeebies when I see them. I still think tarantulas are beautiful though, and they're cool pets, so I still would like to own some. I hear having them around helps with the phobia a bit, and since they're inverts, they don't have a need for affection or handling, which works out for me too. :)
When I first starting learning about them, I found youtube and arachnoboards to be very helpful. Jon3800 has had hundreds of them and is active in the community. He does feeding videos, mythbusters, and little updates of his specimens so if you're ever bored, he might be a good place to start.

Thank you, and yes, we definitely will :)
(Sorry if I rambled a bit, I always leave too big of replies, hahah)
Fur Children: Peanut (pug), Sienna (Abyssinian)
Domesticated Wishlist: Pomeranian, Oriental Shorthair, Pot-Belly Pig, Ferret
Exotic Wishlist: American Mink, Fennec Fox, tarantulas (too many different species to count!), Spotted Hyena

Return to “INTRODUCTION”